The 2017 Election Thread

I’d like to see Gary Linekar stand on a Labour-Crisp ticket

1 Like

Not been my experience. We’ve been told to remain ready for months (since before the EU referendum vote), plus the manifesto will easily grow out of the ten pledges. I think May has timed this well, doesn’t give too many other parties a chance.

However, if your policy ideas have been consistent, really shouldn’t be too difficult for Labour to produce a manifesto.

Does this mean we can all forget about the last fraudulently won election?

1 Like

I am hoping Mother Teressa has the best interest of the forum/country at heart and Corbin can see that. I wouldn’t want the results of this election to drag on and on while the people interview her and arrange to meet her at a random pub.

3 Likes

May just has to say she is going to give the NHS £350m a week - the electorate are such a bunch of thick twats that they will fall for it hook line and sinker and vote her in for ever

6 Likes

Spoiled ballot paper coming up…

2 Likes

A no brainier really. I am just surprised that it has taken her so long to realise that a snap election is the best thing to do. It will be interesting to see how the Brexit situation plays out for all parties. I usually dread the election run up bullshit period but am actually looking forward to this. Hopefully the Great Apathetic British Public will be energised enough to get off their arses and vote in numbers.

To be fair she did promise she would not do a snap election so she probably had to leave it for a while so that most people would have forgotten this. I do the same when I promise not to do stuff around the house but then really want to do them. Like when I promised at Christmas not to drink until Easter. I had to leave it until at least Feb before having a sneaky one.

2 Likes

Yeah, but Tess wasn’t in the middle of the Ocean for a month so not quite the same…

You saying I’m all at sea?

Will be only chance of finding Jezza for the next month or so

Jeremy Corbyn faced chaos today as one of his MPs became the first to announce he would not be standing at the election just minutes after it was called.

Labour has been left facing a huge fight to get ready for a general election in just 51 days - after Prime Minister Theresa May called for a national vote on June 8.

Just minutes after Mrs May’s announcement this morning, MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland Tom Blenkinsop announced he would not be standing for re-election.

Mr Blenkinsop, who has been a consistently staunch critic of Mr Corbyn, slammed the leader last week after Labour lost a Middlesbrough council seat to the Tories on a by-election swing of 8%.

Mr Blenkinsop said in a statement today: 'I have made no secret about my significant and irreconcilable differences with the current Labour leadership.

‘It is because of these differences I feel I cannot in good faith stand as the Labour candidate for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland.’

Two surveys in recent days have shown the Tories more than 20 points ahead of Labour, revealing the record breaking hole in to which leader Mr Corbyn has dragged his party.

But Mr Corbyn said he welcomed the election, meaning the government’s call for the election will be backed by Parliament tomorrow.

Game on then.

Just need another 170 MPs to do the same and then we might actually have an ideological contest on.

Jesus, if that 20 point lead the Tories have in polling reflects the voting in the election, I wonder how many seats Labour will end up with? :lou_surprised:

1 Like

According to this, Tories will have a majority of 112 and Labour will be down to 182 seats. Over to you, Jezza…

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html

four fifths of fuck all.

Some good old fashioned knee jerk reactions. Actually quite impressed that the grauniad could hold so many different opinions.

Politics eh?

What is it about this post that you dislike, @smuggins ?

I did that in 2015 funnily enough.

Tories this time for me though. I’m from Tooting though so Labour safe seat.

If I wasn’t addicted to miserable weather, Sophie Raworth and Morrisons, I’d be out of this country like a shot. This isn’t going to end well.

1 Like