The Ashes

Is it safe to come out from behind the sofa yet?

For me, Brian, all previous posts have gone missing.

At 43-3, I would have taken this.

339-6… Can we get to 400?

Just cannot see us getting 20 wickets a test match.

Honestly couldn’t see us getting 150 this morning specially if Haddin hadnae dropped Root.

So 340 plus I’d take.

Can’t help feeling we lost two wickets too many though

I know you can never tell until both sides have batted, but - that wasn’t bad at all. Root dropped on nought and makes 134, Johnson 0-87. Good stuff

1 Like

Mitchell Johnsons figures are superb. Unlike his 'tache. He just looks like a non-scary slightly tanned hulk hogan. Particularly when he tries to look hard, he just makes me laugh.

As does the sound of Ricky Pontings getting slightly more depressed as the day goes on.

1 Like

I cannot get even a glimpse of the cricket over here in the great North. I’ll have to go in search of a way to access 5 on demand, assuming channel 5 still have the highlights?

400 up! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

England - 430 all out

Ha ha ha Johnson had a bit of a mare.

Poor Cook’s been balled middle stump whilst fielding at first slip :slight_frown:

Made even my eyes water.

1 Like

My anal cyst of the first two days.

I think they let us off the hook yesterday BIG time. We were under extreme pressure at 40 odd for 3 and then Brad Haddin dropped the Ashes.

Why? Why when Gary Ballance looked like a village cricketer facing Mitchell J when he bowled at his ribs did they stop & let him get to 60 odd? Where was the bite, the nastiness & aggression from the Aussies? Has this no sledge thing screwed with their heads? They should have got us out for 280 - 320 after that start.

Will we win? Actually I think we lost a couple of soft wickets (Buttler for one) and we needed 480-500 AFTER that lifeline.

I thought we bowled superbly in the last hour or so and keep getting them out once they have made a start (apart from Cook all our player who got a start made decent runs).

I think tomorrow morning IS the Ashes series. Bowling with the old ball (pie) on a pudding of a pitch they can’t get the ball away, IF we can keep that pressure on and nurdle them out with mistakes for 380 odd we could do this. I have also seen enough of this team to realise that the upper order of England is a huge issue and another failure from Bell could see Root move up one place & Bairstow come in, BUT Bell is often at his best in those do or die moments. IF we bowl the first few overs like we did tonight I wouldn’t take the new ball, too easy to hit!

We should have been buried and hanging on, there is now a chance we could sneak this test and THAT would be an enourmous confidence boost heading to Lords. Johnson with no wickets, Starc hobbling? Early doors but in with FAR more than a shout than I expected.

Oh and did anyone else see the intro today?

Bumble singing and Gower/Warne/Botham/Athers/Nass & Root rapping? Brilliant

Bumble singing

2 Likes

Happy.

We have got them by the short and curlys! What a great day. This coupled with Cav’s win in the cycling, make me very happy!

Fucking brilliant.

A great day to watch. The 1st hour was superb from England. And that 6 from Mark Wood at the end was like knife to the belly for Michael Clarke.

They showed that Aus really missed Ryan Harris as England applied pressure then turned the screw, but each time Aussis applied pressure along would come one or two really bad overs.

Totally unexpected for everyone except the team itself I’d guess. Now to keep the discipline keep it tight and gring them into the dust.

For the Aussies Siddle HAS to come in for the next test. But who do they drop?

Easy. Easy. Easy

(despite what I may have posted earlier)

Great stuff yesterday. I couldn’t really understand the extreme pessimism leading up to this game - yes, we lost 0-5 down there, but Johnson was unlikely to repeat that in English conditions (great pitch by the way, Cardiff groundsman!). Mind you, I didn’t think he’d have figures like he has

Basically we’re a bit better then many people thought and they’re not as good, especially after losing Ryan Harris. Hardly any of the current Aussie team would get into the 2001 or 2005 sides.

And Hampshire finally won a game last night!

2 Likes

This is my best one liner! I am starting to see how now!

1 Like