The Automatic Saints News Thread - DISCUSSION

Downvoted for being a cock!

1 Like

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Originally posted by @Bearsy

The way Trousers tells me the same fucking things over and over and over makes me think, that contrary to expectations, he is WOMAN. Poss change name to Optimus Skirt? Just suggestion.

Downvoted for being a cock!

But Lou, how many times have you repeated the downvote post now? :wink:

You’re the ones the keep repeating the sexist nonsense. I’m just replying!

FYI it appears that Optimus trousers is fucked at the moment.

He doesn’t know his arse from his elbow, his articles from his summaries.

Normal services will resume soon…or maybe tomorrow morning…

When it worked, I thought it worked well, Bletch…

Lol.

Yeah, it did seem to be getting there.

The difficulty lies in testing the code. To do this you need to have news articles coming in all the time - some mainstream, some non-mainstream. This only really happens during the day, but I only get the time to code (I’m not a professional geek, I’m only a hobbyist geek), in the evenings when the news stories have actually slowed up.

Anyway, I think I’ve stopped OT from spewing everything up as a summary, but I won’t know if he is going to sport real articles and summary stuff until the news starts appearing again tomorrow.

OK, it looks like I have tamed Optimus trousers.

So now every five minutes he looks for news on Twitter, Instagram, Vine.co and mainstream web articles. If he finds something it gets posted. If he finds news articles that are from non-mainstream publishers he will collate them and once every 60 minutes he will post a summary of these non-mainstream articles (assuming there have been any).

Please look out for the summary posts and let me know if you think that any of the publishers should be moved from the summary posts to the mainstream posts (produced every five minutes).

EDIT: Current mainstream articles are sourced from the following source codes:

DAILYECHO, SOUTHAMPTONFC, PREMIERLEAGUE, TALKSPORT, DAILYMAIL, SKYSPORTS, EVENINGSTANDARD, DAILYSTAR, IND, ITV, THEEXPRESSTRIBUNE, MIRR, BBC, ESPNFC, ELECTELEGRAPH, REUTERSUK, METROCOUK, STANDARDKE, SETANTASPORTS, DAILYEXPRESS

1 Like

Optimus Trousers is nailing it right now, Bletch, I gotta say.

Great job, really useful.

1 Like

I would totally agree. However, I’m not exactly sure what you are using our robot for.

From my own perspective (News gathering) OT is totally nailing me as well.

Bravo Bletch. I’m ambivalent as to whether you take this on or not, but do you think we could rename Optimus trousers to “Rodimus trousers”. My rationale is as follows.

#1 Optimus died. Or at least went haywire for a bit, with the only consolation that he didn’t do what most robots do, and turn on their human masters. I know we could say that he was merely broken and you fixed him, but there’s some gut-punching lore that we’re possibly missing out on here. When all seems lost in Transformers lore after Optimus kicked the bucket, Rodimus broke open the Matrix of Leadership and saved Cybertron. We could weave that into the fabric of the legend of our bastard automaton.

#2 “Rodimus” sounds dirty, especially with the “trousers” suffix.

This proposal is by no means permanent. Everyone got a bit bored of Rodimus Prime in the end and Optimus got resurrected. I expect the same to happen to Rodimus trousers, should such a being ever come into existence.

Optimus trousers appears to be having difficulties with the pronunciation of certain words - well technically he’s struggling to decode unicode into a UTF-8 representation for some foreign article or other that has appeared.

Unfortunately I’ve got people coming round in 5 mins who aim to get me very drunk and I’m of a mind to let them, so I don’t think it’s wise for me to try to fix him tonight.

I’ll open up his bonnet tomorrow.

Apologies.

1 Like

So Rodimus trousers is definitely on then? :cool:

He certainly is papster.

I’m not sure what his public will think though.

People hate change.

I hate change.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Furball

I hate change.

Me too, Verbal!

Sorry, I mean Furball.

1 Like

Quod erat demonstrandum

2 Likes

We fear change :laughing:

Right.

Some twat on Twitter put stupid emoticons in one of his Tweets.

Then some other Twitter twats retweeted the twattish tweet.

Then the twat that is typing this right now didn’t test his tweet code properly.

Result. Twitter 1 - 0 trousers.

In fact, I still haven’t fixed the code, but after three straight nights on the beer (as it’s birthday season chez Bletch) I have managed to patch the data to get around the problem.

As a result, Optimus trousers has spewed back into life.

Now that I know what caused it, I should be able to make the code more robust, but not until late tomorrow PM. So this Twitter twattery problem MIGHT happen again unless twats on twitter decide to drop the emoticons.

:confused:

1 Like

FYI I’m experimenting with RSS news feeds, so expect something to go bang.

Ever prescient, I was right!

In getting the RSS feed stuff to work, something went bang with the non-mainstream summary posting.

Working on it…