The big smoke

Originally posted by @KRG

There’s a strange mentality up there. It was quite perplexing going to gigs in Leeds and hearing the crowd chant “Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire” no matter where the band happen to be from.

You must’ve been going to see some pretty shit bands if that’s the kind of mentality they attracted.

FWIW, I like the North and northeners in general. There’s no more cunts up there than there are down here. (there are more in Wales though)

Eyebrows were raised back when I announced my intention to move to Liverpool.

“Isn’t it full of wankers?”

“Well, possibly. But they’re wankers I don’t know personally”

That was generally what happened, no matter who the band were. Some probably were shit, but definitely not all of them.

I do like it up North really, and most Northerners are great. But there is that weird chip on the shoulder pysche that bubbles through with some that I hadn’t seen elsewhere. On the whole though Yorkshire folk are great.

Lived most of my life in Southampton but a few years ago we moved to Poole. Which was lovely for the beaches but just a little dull. When the local catering advertisements start with ‘wakes and funerals’ you get how quite it can be.

After failing to find work in the sector I am qualified in and as I don’t drive so coudln’t apply for county jobs we decided to make the big move to London. I was worried I’d hate it, the other half was worried I’d hate it. He had lived in South London previously and had his teens and early 20s here. I’d visited friends, family and going to lots of gigs. But I do love it. I haven’t even got angry about commuters or lots of peple in the street (I generally hate people). I don’t think it’s that dirty really.I can go see that Colombian singer I like, I can go to that exhibition my friend has her work in and the commute to work is less than when I was going from Poole to Southampton.

The major downside is the cost of housing. We have sold our house in Poole with a garden and will likely swap it for a flat with a balcony. But that’s the compromise we have to make. Of course whatever we buy will end up being a squillion pounds in a few years and we can be those arseholes who then move out of London and by a small mansion abroad.

Best City on the planet bar none if you have money, if you don’t then it’s an overpriced shitehole with people living on top of each other, we would consider moving down South but it would have to be right, the standard of living is high for us up here but would only be averageish down South.
My in laws have moved back to France as they have had enough of it, my brother also moved out after 20 years, it does that to people London.

Best city in the world in my opinion.

Mine too - live outside but would hate to not be within easy reach of it

Moved to London 13 years ago. Spent the first 4 years hating it - could get a sense of ‘home’ anywhere. But then it started becoming moe familiar, and I got a bit more of a sense of community.

The best thing about London is the creative community, and the people. tou get to hang out with some of the most talented people in the world as far as I’m concerned.

I also love the fact you can survive as a poor artist in London and be surrounded by many other people with similar ambitions. Although, it does always depress me when so called poor artist turns out to be subsidised by mummy and daddy.

1 Like

How much do they give you each month, Lou?

The worst part of London encapsulated here - 74% of your income on rent.

Bit of an artistic diversion, but if you love London, you should really catch Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere. Originally a six part TV series on BBC, back in the days when they didn’t really have the expertise to do this sort of thing properly, it has since been novelised by the man himself and has recently had a very decent audiobook adaptation, starring the vocal talents of James McAvoy, Natalie Dormer and Benedict Cumberbatch.

All are decent, even the BBC TV show, and all focus on London Below, an alternate version of London that houses all of the people that have fallen through its cracks. In truth, it’s another Hero’s Journey tale (that Gaiman knows bugger all about!), but there’s a lot of respect for the histories and traditions of the place, and things are very well named. Well worth checking out if you love the capital.

I think the question is how much do I give them… :slight_smile:

It is interesting to see the various viewpoints about London. Having been born and brought up there I had no say in where I lived. We moved to the suburbs (near Bromley) when I was a kid and I preferred that as there was more greenery around and it was less crowded. I guess it is what you want out of life. I prefer the countryside and find the concrete jungle oppresive. The people are also friendlier in the country. I found them more insular in London. The great thing is there is more choice now, especially with more people working from home. I’ll go back to London for the occasional visit for an exhibition or a concert but would never live there again. Ive enjoyed visiting New York (the most vibrant place I have ever been) and Paris, Rome etc but again, cool to visit but I wouldnt want to live in those places. City boy born, country boy at heart.

It’s all an aimless quest to feel important and needed, load of shite anyway, pubs shut in London well early, that’s all I care about and others places have a better night out.

I don’t mind going in and out of central London daily, but I’m certainly looking to find somewhere to live on the outskirts, with easy access back to the south coast. Being right in the centre all the time would do me head in.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

It’s all an aimless quest to feel important and needed, load of shite anyway, pubs shut in London well early, that’s all I care about and others places have a better night out.

My local tends to shut when the last person has had enough to drink - gotta love the counry landlords!!

1 Like