The January Transfer Window 2017

25 year old Swiss Fabian Schar of Hoffenheim is the CB were chasing according to The Ugly…

(first link in older content below)

Originally posted by @Optimus-trousers

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Saints V Tottenham Hotspur The Verdict | It’s official Tottenham Hotspur are now Saints bogey team after they came and again won at St Mary’s in … 29-12-2016 |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Spurs Game Fans Reaction | Saints fans were not in happy mood after the defeat at home to Tottenham Hotspur and vented their feelings to Freddie. 29-12-2016 |
| Southampton 1-4 Tottenham Hotspur - Player Ratings and Reports | If you saw the match, please give us your player ratings and a mini match report. 29-12-2016 |

Older content…

| Saints Look To Bundesliga For New Defender !a day ago |
| Saints V Tottenham Hotspur The Previewa day ago |
| Pochetino Claims Saints Fans Hate Him Because They Cared For Him ! He Is Wrong !a day ago |
| Guardiola Claims He Will Not Bid For Virgil Van Dijk In January2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Saints V Spurs Predicted XI2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside Video Channel ! Spurs Game The Opposition View With The Fighting Cock2 days ago |
| Secret Santa City Shirt Lets Press Rev Up The Speculation4 days ago |
| Virgil Van Dijk Confirms He Is Happy At St Mary’s5 days ago |
| Jordy Clasie To Miss Spurs Game5 days ago |
| Saints V Tottenham Hotspur Dan’s Preview5 days ago |

…devotedly sculpted by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Gardos rumoured to be going out on loan to Derby. Suggests we’re either not losing a CB in January (as Claude as stated) or that were getting one in.

Or neither of those things of course.

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Gardos set for Derby loan move | Florin Gardos is reportedly on the verge of completing a loan move to Derby County. Romanian news outlet Fanatik … 29-12-2016 |

Older content…

| Ward-Prowse taking the positives from Spurs defeata day ago |
| Fonte and van Dijk to stay at Saints beyond Januarya day ago |
| Quickfire Takeaways - Southampton 1-4 Tottenhama day ago |
| Puel looking to bounce back quicklya day ago |
| Southampton lodge €18m striker bida day ago |
| Our man of the match: Tottenham (H)a day ago |
| Southampton 1-4 Tottenham: Rating the Saintsa day ago |
| Southampton vs Tottenham - Predicted Opposition XI2 days ago |
| Saints fans’ anger shows the love for me, says Pochettino2 days ago |

…sycophantically generated by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

I have to agree with Bletch, I reckon one of three things might or might not happen.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Gardos rumoured to be going out on loan to Derby. Suggests we’re either not losing a CB in January (as Claude as stated) or that were getting one in.

Or neither of those things of course.

I’m not usually one for semantics but as it’s Christmas…

That should be " none of those things of course" :lou_lol:

1 Like

Not sure, there were two choices in the last sentence to with the neither could have applied, although it could equally have applied to the whole paragraph in which case none would be the preferred choice.

I’m surprised that you didn’t pick up on the lack of apostrophe in we’re…

1 Like

I am a snivelling shit Bob but not a nit-picking snivelling shit. At least give me that.

2 Likes

Premier League January transfer window: Who needs what?

Mark Lawrenson again, so no surprises as to what he thinks.

Stat attack: Southampton have faced the second-fewest shots on target (50) and kept the joint second-most clean sheets (seven).

Window shopping: Like so many previous windows, it is going to be a case of who they keep hold of.

Jose Fonte seems the most likely player to leave but, then again, Saints might feel they won’t let him leave until they get a replacement, and that might not happen until the end of the season.

That way of thinking would certainly stop Virgil van Dijk going anywhere too, but with him it might depend of how much money is being offered.

Linked with (Player, age, position and club): Eric Choupo-Moting, 27, FW, (Schalke), Wylan Cyprien, 21, CM, (Nice), Lucas Perez, 28, CF, (Arsenal), Fabian Schar, 25, CB, (Hoffenheim), Molla Wague, 25, CB, (Udinese), Kevin Wimmer, 24, CB, (Tottenham), Dani Parejo, 27, CM, (Valencia), Jacob Murphy, 21, RM, (Norwich City), Nemanja Gudelj, 25, CM, (Ajax).

RaleighBoy never knowingly less than five 9s sarcastic.

Well, I stick by my grammar.

As Big Psychophantic Bob pointed out, I was referring to the fact that it was possible that one or other of the two things (us not losing a CB, or us buying one) may not happen.

But, I’ll grant that my logic might have been faulty and I should have included the possibility that Gardos may not go out on loan, in which case I would have had to use none.

That’s why I love posting on sotonians.com - people generally ignore the football conversation and pick on people’s grammar.

BTW, here’s a new avatar for you…

2 Likes

Have to say I like Claude’s comments about sticking with the squad and developing it, but surely we need at least a replacement for Austin?

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Puel drops transfer hint

Show/hide article…

Claude Puel hinted Saints may shy away from signing another striker in January by insisting the club would only sign a player clearly “superior” to what they already have.

There has been a clamour amongst fans for Saints to recruit a new striker in the upcoming transfer window, with the club having struggled for goals and leading scorer Charlie Austin ruled out for four months.

Puel would not entirely rule out the possibility of making an addition to his squad, but hinted it might not happen given the difficulty of recruiting the calibre of player he would want – for a sensible price - in January.

He said: “I want to say that I want to continue with these players, to develop them, to make good progress.

“The market of course is open perhaps for a good solution, a good opportunity, but I say it’s always a difficult period to find a good solution.

“For me, if a player comes during the market it is a great player, superior to all the players in the squad. This I think is always difficult for the market window.

“I prefer to stay with the good concertation with my squad, to make good progress and to go up together. It’s my philosophy.”

He added: “The window it’s perhaps important to see something for all the team but it’s always I think a dangerous market because often the players available in this period stay in difficulties with their club – injuries or they didn’t play.

“It’s always difficult to find a good solution in this period.

“I prefer to stay in a good concentration about my team, my players, to continue this work, to make progress and develop all the players.

“For example, we have Charlie Austin injury, ok, perhaps Shane Long or J-Rod like against Bournemouth can take the place and make good progress.

Puel again insisted that both of his centre halves, Jose Fonte and Virgil van Dijk, would stay at the club.

“I think Jose is a little particular with his contract with Southampton. Virgil is a very important player for us,” said the Saints manager.

“He stays here and it will be important with Virgil to continue this work and to go up on the table.

“For me it’s not another idea, another view, with Virgil.”

When asked to confirm whether both would remain at St Mary’s in January, Puel replied: “Yes of course.”

Go to the original article…

…intolerantly caused to be by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Left-field…

We’re second favourites to sign Memphis Depay. I only mention it as it’s driven by betting odds (Ladbrokes) and I hadn’t seen it mentioned until now.

(3rd link below)

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/12/2016 16:31:27

| | Kane grateful for Pochettino’s Christmas break for Tottenham playersSQUAWKA |
| | Rumour Mill: Chelsea eye Prem striker and Biglia deal - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |
| | Southampton emerge as second favourites to sign Manchester United winger Memphis DepayHEREISTHECITY |
| | Claude Puel not planning to add to Southampton squad in January transfer windowBTSPORT |

…courteously formed by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Have to say I like Claude’s comments about sticking with the squad and developing it, but surely we need at least a replacement for Austin?

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Puel drops transfer hint

Show/hide article…

Claude Puel hinted Saints may shy away from signing another striker in January by insisting the club would only sign a player clearly “superior” to what they already have.

There has been a clamour amongst fans for Saints to recruit a new striker in the upcoming transfer window, with the club having struggled for goals and leading scorer Charlie Austin ruled out for four months.

Puel would not entirely rule out the possibility of making an addition to his squad, but hinted it might not happen given the difficulty of recruiting the calibre of player he would want – for a sensible price - in January.

He said: “I want to say that I want to continue with these players, to develop them, to make good progress.

“The market of course is open perhaps for a good solution, a good opportunity, but I say it’s always a difficult period to find a good solution.

“For me, if a player comes during the market it is a great player, superior to all the players in the squad. This I think is always difficult for the market window.

“I prefer to stay with the good concertation with my squad, to make good progress and to go up together. It’s my philosophy.”

He added: “The window it’s perhaps important to see something for all the team but it’s always I think a dangerous market because often the players available in this period stay in difficulties with their club – injuries or they didn’t play.

“It’s always difficult to find a good solution in this period.

“I prefer to stay in a good concentration about my team, my players, to continue this work, to make progress and develop all the players.

“For example, we have Charlie Austin injury, ok, perhaps Shane Long or J-Rod like against Bournemouth can take the place and make good progress.

Puel again insisted that both of his centre halves, Jose Fonte and Virgil van Dijk, would stay at the club.

“I think Jose is a little particular with his contract with Southampton. Virgil is a very important player for us,” said the Saints manager.

“He stays here and it will be important with Virgil to continue this work and to go up on the table.

“For me it’s not another idea, another view, with Virgil.”

When asked to confirm whether both would remain at St Mary’s in January, Puel replied: “Yes of course.”

…intolerantly caused to be by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

That first paragraph suggests we could be bidding for anyone from over 60% of all the strikers in the world. Going on the form of ours.

Alassane Pléa and Diego Rolan have only 18 months left on their contracts and there are lots of other talented young forwards out there. I think we will sign one this window. Possibly a centre back as well, but only if José goes.

Oh and maybe Hatem Ben Arfa, going on what Puel says in paragraph 6.

2 Likes

Linked again with FC Utrecht’s Sebastien Haller according to Read Southampton. They cite a report on a Dutch football website that in turn cites the Liverpool Echo! I know, I know…

Read Southampton

| Saints reignite their interest in Haller | Southampton have reportedly reignited their interest in FC Utrecht striker Sebastien Haller. According to a recent … 31-12-2016 |

Older content…

| Southampton v West Brom: Predicting the Saintsa day ago |
| Last time out - Southampton vs West Broma day ago |
| Puel keeping his options open in Januarya day ago |
| Gardos set for Derby loan move2 days ago |
| Ward-Prowse taking the positives from Spurs defeat2 days ago |
| Fonte and van Dijk to stay at Saints beyond January2 days ago |
| Quickfire Takeaways - Southampton 1-4 Tottenham2 days ago |
| Puel looking to bounce back quickly2 days ago |
| Southampton lodge €18m striker bid2 days ago |

…witlessly carved by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

According to a French website we’ve made an enquiry about 21-year-old, French CB Presnel Kimpembe currently at PSG. They say it is unlikely to happen as he is PSG’s 3rd choice CB. We were already linked with him in the Summer.

Read Southampton

| Southampton make enquiry for Kimpembe | Southampton have lodged an enquiry regarding the availability of PSG defender Presnel Kimpembe. According to a … 31-12-2016 |

Older content…

| Saints reignite their interest in Haller12 hours ago |
| Southampton v West Brom: Predicting the Saints2 days ago |
| Last time out - Southampton vs West Brom2 days ago |
| Puel keeping his options open in January2 days ago |
| Gardos set for Derby loan move2 days ago |
| Ward-Prowse taking the positives from Spurs defeat2 days ago |
| Fonte and van Dijk to stay at Saints beyond January2 days ago |
| Quickfire Takeaways - Southampton 1-4 Tottenham2 days ago |
| Puel looking to bounce back quickly2 days ago |

…exactingly shaped by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

What will a new manager cost us?

I have lost hope in the one we have.

On record he is not doing bad but the shit he is delivering is straight from the manager who’s name should never be associated with us ever again Branfoot that’s the one I had almost erased it but sorry now its back.

Another left field rumour (Telegraph) is that West Ham are in for Long. If true, then surely we’ll give them the short answer?

Sourced from The Telegraph article

West Ham target Shane Long and Brentford’s Scott Hogan for if they do not sign Jermain Defoe

Show/hide article…

Southampton striker Shane Long and Brentford’s Scott Hogan have emerged as alternative January targets for West Ham United if they cannot prise first-choice Jermain Defoe away from Sunderland.

West Ham have made no secret of the fact that they intend to improve their forward line when the window opens – and especially as they are going to lose £20million record signing Andre Ayew to the Africa Cup of Nations and with Diafra Sakho again suffering from a long-term injury.

Andy Carroll is fit but both Simone Zaza and Jonathan Calleri are cutting short their season-long loan spells after struggling to impress at West Ham, leaving manager Slaven Bilic with limited options but also room within his squad.

Despite Sunderland’s insistence that Defoe is not for sale at any price, with manager David Moyes having said he would not even consider a bid, there is a sense that the 34-year-old may favour a return to his former club. An offer of £6million has been mooted.

…mutinously hewn by Optimus trousers…beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

After the result today, it feels like this is thread should be more in use(unless i’m the only one that feels certain additions are needed).

We’ll start with the manager as he has been the main football topic on here for a while. Do we really get rid of him and start again halfway through the season? Personally, that would be madness. He’s had no decent time to implement his ideas(amount of games played) and the only player he has brought in has been injured all season. Also we need to understand that the other players we bought in the summer are young and developing. That is not Puels fault, but he does have a great record of turning up and coming talent into stars. Stick with him and let him buy whoever he believes we need i say.

Goalkeeper: Stick with Forster or risk an up and comer? Don’t see any changes unless someone offers stupid money. Then I would buy Lukasz Skorupski.

Defence: An upgrade on Martina would be welcome. A CB is needed i feel. There are a few decent ones about at the right age and price.

Midfield: Awkward, as something isn’t right, but we have an abundance of players, so if we bring anyone in we need to sell.

Attack: Not so awkward, we’re pretty toothless. I do believe Rodriguez is going to get back to his old self, but we can’t expect him to carry the total burden. Redmond may never score regularly enough and there’s absolutely no hope he will this season. Tadić, forget it. Long, we all know the answer. Boufal, eventually, but not this season. So is there anyone young, affordable, fast, with great technique, vision and a killer shot?

Kelechi Iheanacho anyone(if man city want VVD). Domenico Berardi would be great if we could get him(althoguh not really a striker) Ezequiel Ponce and Maxwel Cornet look good if young. Then there’s Alassane Pléa, Diego Rolan, Sebastian Haller, Richairo Zivkovic or Luka Jovic who could all do a decent job.

Over to Puel and the board. Get busy

It’s going to be Sadio Berahino though. Sorry

3 Likes

We should definitely break the bank and sign Mike Dean, he has been awesome this week.

7 Likes

Omar Hanif Bogle Is still banging in the goals for Grimsby.

18 goals in league two. Scored 2 today against Carlisle.

League Two?..

Without sounding too aloof I think we need to be finding someone proven at a slightly higher level.