The Mackems v The Saints Match Thread

Doop doop da doop

Fucking ruthless :slight_smile:

Also, good work Sfcsim and pals. Loud and clear, ta.

2 Likes

Clasie gets better with every minute he plays. Good performance. Thought Mané had another iffy day. Davis and Virgil were excellent . Easy 1-0 win. Sunderland were better than usual today but were still garbage.

5 Likes

Not the most exciting game but we did the job. They’re toothless. Tadic and Bertrand very good in the first half. Virgil and Pelle had great games. Didnt notice Yoshida too much, which is all I ever ask of him. Thought Mane seemed a little below par. Stek only had one shot to save, as far as I can recall, and he did that well.

2 Likes

Sunderland were set up not to lose. Fletcher was all on his lonesome in the first half, the team had been well drilled defensively. Big Sam will start to hold teams off.

Fair scoreline though, with plenty of encouragement for the opposition.

2 Likes

Impressed with Clasie for intelligent passing + promising tenacity in the tackle. Davis good also. Yoshida coped well. Some good attacking interchange between front 3 as per normal.

Sunderland lucky to get Nil.

3 Likes

Imagine sfcsim and family had (and are having) a great day out. Look forward to the reports.

I see the BBC have given Claise man of the match saying “Jordy Clasie started many of Southampton’s attacks, touching the ball more than any of his team-mates and playing more passes - completing 88%”

4 Likes

Spot on Pap, Fletcher was getting very frustrated up there on his own, he barely got a sniff. I thought at one stage it was going to be one of those days, when I believe the second clearance off the line came in. The set up was to build from the back after the 6-2 last week and I think they would have seen a point as a big stepping stone. The first half was a bit of a non event, but the second half we battered them on and off the pitch. The 50-65 minutes ‘oh when the saints’ was sung loud and proud and the team continued with the battering ram at the Sunderland back line.

It was a fantastic day and my little boy loved it. Getting high fives from the saints fans around our group and then getting a few rounds of ‘It’s cozy of yooooooouuuuuuu, Southampton won because of you’ to my little boy, in the tune of we’re coming for you, when they found out it was his first Saints game. He did look a little scared with about 30 drunkards singing and pointing in a little aggressive way, but hey!

Great day and so please to continue our good run of matches undefeated! One down side a couple more bookings for silly things!

7 Likes

The boy at the game.

5 Likes

Boy enjoying himself, teenage daughter on iPhone… Of course. She loved it as well though.

On to Man City!

4 Likes

Brilliant sfcsim, photo and write up makes me proud so can only imagine what you felt!

It was a fantastic day. Of course the high spirits from Saints winning goes a long way. You do not get to many days like this and I have been lucky to take all 3 of my children to their first games and Saints have won. Sophomore learn to leave it there, but we all know that is not possible… On to the Stoke home game.

Pit is days like these, you remember why you are proud to be a Saint!

3 Likes

I thought the 50th to 70th minute was amzing wave after wave of pressure. Corner after corner, with 2 clearances off the line and a penalty. Sunderland really could not get out of their half. They also huffed and puffed in the last 10 but never really looked like scoring apart from 1 shot of note.

I would say there were no stand out individuals in the game, but a very solid team performance, with some great link up play.

Cracked Rib remains undefeated when starting match threads. I think you know what that means boys and girls :lou_is_a_flirt:

2 Likes

Fairs fair, you got in first… Extremely early, but first. :lou_eyes_to_sky:

3 Likes

Every man needs a purpose in life Sfcism - I merely rejoice that it seems I may have finally found one :lou_lol:

3 Likes

1 Like

The last time I saw Saints away in the league, this man missed a penalty, which would have put us 0-1 up at Burnley. A game we went on to lose 1-0. This time 11 months on no mistake.

Lthe difference was he waved to the fans before his penalty against Burnley and did not look focused. This time he grabbed the ball and looked so focused and bang 0-1!

5 Likes

Best penalty he has ever taken for us, I agree, right in the corner unlike his previous efforts. Think he has been watching Jay Rod in training :wink: