The party for hardworking people

ukip voters?

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Ok. Well that answers my question. Can I ask what’s in it for them? (The Tories)

Not a lot. There are plenty of Tories who oppose this, including David Willetts, who thinks it’s economically illiterate. It’s all about outflanking UKIP on the immigration issue, and so long as the Home Office is embarrassed on a monthly basis by the immigration stats, they’ll look for any and every way they can to gain some short term kudos for cutting the numbers.

They can’t do that by actually controlling the borders so they attack easy targets, like the multi-billion pounds-a-year market in overseas students.

Remember also that when May talks about overseas students, she’s only talking about those from outside the EU - there’s fuck all she can do about EU students coming in. And they’re often the ones who tend to stay on in the UK.

1 Like

I love sweary Furball.

1 Like

Watching Furball and Bearsy, is like watching The Odd Couple with Jack Lemmon. Similar undertones.

Yeah, sorry about that. Getting wound up by that utter gimp (and aptly named) Whitey Grandad over there, defending the white-supremacist confederate flag.

Can you retrieve Brian from the depths of despond? I think I harshed his buzz.

I’m sure he won’t take it to heart.

Oh, that sounds a great thread…need to go check it out…

You alright Bear? You still with us?

Originally posted by @Furball

Yeah, sorry about that. Getting wound up by that utter gimp (and aptly named) Whitey Grandad over there, defending the white-supremacist confederate flag.

All I can say is I hope someone pressed the report button. Not on Whitey, but on the original post.

Oh, that sounds a great thread…need to go check it out…

You alright Bear? You still with us?

The long and the short of that thread is that every day, people line up to batter Sarnia Saint, turning him into more and more of a cornered animal, with him saying increasingly stupid things and making increasingly provocative gestures. It was established long ago that you weren’t going to get any sense out of Sarnia, and FWIW, I don’t think he believes half the shite he posts. He’s doing it for a reaction, and he’s getting several every single day.

I am amazed that it has gone on for as long as it has.

Agree. That thread should have been locked a long time ago.

Originally posted by @pap

The long and the short of that thread is that every day, people line up to batter Sarnia Saint, turning him into more and more of a cornered animal, with him saying increasingly stupid things and making increasingly provocative gestures. It was established long ago that you weren’t going to get any sense out of Sarnia, and FWIW, I don’t think he believes half the shite he posts. He’s doing it for a reaction, and he’s getting several every single day.

Well yeah, I agree with that too. Personally, I wish the mods would take a stand on it.

Well yeah, I agree with that too. Personally, I wish the mods would take a stand on it.

Forget all that. Get back on topic.

Lou? When did you have a Brazilian?

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Forget all that. Get back on topic.

Lou? When did you have a Brazilian?

Oh it was over a decade ago. He was my first true love. A very beautiful and charismatic man. He didn’t speak English, I didn’t speak Portuguese…but somehow it didn’t matter…

1 Like

It’s a beautiful language, visto de trabalho, obrigado, what’s not to like?

2 Likes

Oh it was over a decade ago. He was my first true love. A very beautiful and charismatic man. He didn’t speak English, I didn’t speak Portuguese…but somehow it didn’t matter…

Look, you’ve covered the broad romantic sweep, but how did that work in day to day mundanity?

“Hello my darling, I have cooked you what you asked for. A fried tyre!”

Portuguese
“What the fuck? I asked for Wotsits, even though they are unlikely to be marketed here and I will have no knowledge of them. Who the fuck even cooks a tyre? Or spells ‘tire’ like that. We are in America now, woman. Stop crying, spell with regional consideration and put that starting motor on the grill”

btw, shame on intiniki for encouraging this sort of thing :laughing:

1 Like

Well you know I’ve been in similar predicaments. But have learnt a few languages on the way.

1 Like

Heh. Best way I say. Somehow those Tricoleur books weren’t half as fun.

1 Like

Look, you’ve covered the broad romantic sweep, but how did that work in day to day mundanity?

“Hello my darling, I have cooked you what you asked for. A fried tyre!”

Well, we met in a French speaking country, therefore he taught me French so we could speak. I can remember our first argument, and I had to ask somehow how to say: c’est pas juste! But you’d been surprised how much you can communicate non verbally.

Then when we came to England, and I taught him English.

We lasted a good couple of years, but sadly it wasn’t meant to be. My Dad still misses him.

1 Like

Getting this somewhat back on topic, another of May’s bright ideas is the Draft Communications Bill, nicknamed The Snooper’s Charter. The Lib Dems, god love them, managed to successfully kick this into the long grass, but it’s not going away, and is about to hit the public big-time. There is speculation that WhatsApp, the defacto replacement for BBM after all those teenagers sensibly decided to ditch Blackberry, will be banned under the Act due to its end-to-end encryption and its inherent insnoopability (I know that’s not a word).

Not sure how to process that, really. I think you can successfully argue that this government, like the one before it, has done more to foster new extremists than fucking WhatsApp. Labour went into Iraq. The Tories went into Libya. Both have become hotbeds of extremism since,

The Great British Firewall (like the Great Firewall of China)?

He didn’t speak English, I didn’t speak Portuguese…but somehow it didn’t matter…

You are so right, Lou: the spoken word really doesn’t matter.

… Mrs Stickman and I go days without speaking to one another.

1 Like