šŸ—£ Theatre recommendations

It ainā€™t good.

The sad thing about it is that the whole place was built to rent for locals. Then Thatcher introduced right to buy and itā€™s criminal to see what they were bought for (by the people who needed them), what small profit they made and what they go for now. There are very few lower income people there now.

Thatcher has a lot to answer for, but unfortunately/ fortunately sheā€™s dead.

Another theatre trip on a non working day. I bought a ticket up in the gods but got an upgrade to the stall. Bonus. I thought it was a possibility on a matinee as not many people go on a Wednesday.
I went to see Rosmersholm at the Duke of York with Tom Burke (Three Musketeers / Strike, also I bumped into him in Islington one time), Hayley Atwell (Avengers) and Giles Terera (Hamilton).
The play was written in 1886 by Norwegian Ibsen. The subject matter is relevant today. Set with an an imminent election the following day there is a pull of left and right and how things can be manipulated. It covers the polarisation of people.
The Guardian did give it a good review.

I really enjoyed it. But one of the pensioners behind me was snoring. So maybe he didnā€™t as much.

On until 20th July.

3 Likes

You get at least 2 name drop badges there @Intiniki :slight_smile:

1 Like

I now use my non working alternate Wednesdays for theatre trips so seen quite a few things of late. I get some reasonable tickets. I book up stairs and keep getting upgrades to stalls :smiley:

Waitress - not my cup of tea really. Itā€™s a smaltzy musical. Still on at the theatre now with an ex pussy cat doll/strictly star (I saw it without her)

The Hunt - with Tobias Menzies (seen in GOT) as lead. Bit of hard watch. A teacher is accused of sexual abuse of a child and the way the village ostracized him. Quite dark really. But great acting.

Small Island - really enjoyed it although the 3 women in front of me thought it was way too long. Iā€™ve read the book and seen TV adaption. Set in Jamaica and London around second world war and Windrush time. If it comes around again well worth seeing it.

Night of the Iguana - Clive Owen as the lead. On until 28th September. Itā€™s a Tennessee Williamā€™s play. Even had some heavy rain on set. Had a bit of an issue with subject matter with older man and barely 16 year old girl.

The Starry Messenger - just finished. It had Matthee Broderick and Elizabeth Macgovern in it. Wasnt sure about this one really. Maybe a little slow and not sure I empathise much with the characters. Written by the guys who did Manchester by the Sea.

Midsummer nights dream - without doubt my favourite so far. My first proper Shakespeare play. Stars include Gwendoline Christie (GOT), Oliver Chris (Greenwing) and Felicity Montagu (Lynn, Alan Partridge) to name a few. Hammed Animashaun was superb. It is immersive, roles have been swapped and pokes fun at itself. There silk acrobats (the fairies). Iā€™m hoping to go back for a second time before the run ends 31st August.

1 Like

Got dragged to London this weekend just gone as Mrs BTripz wanted to see On Your Feet (described as a jukebox musical that played on Broadway at the Marquis Theatre. Based on the lives and music of 26-time Grammy Award-winning husband-and-wife team Gloria and Emilio Estefan).

I was actually not looking forward to it but must admit I did enjoy it in the end. It was at the Colliseum which, in itself, is a stunning theatre.

Walking around the West End afterwards and the next day itā€™s amazing how many theatres and shows there actually are!

Still hate London though

What the ridiculous crowds, idiots who stop right in front of you? Etc. I too hate all that. But love the fact I can just pop down the victoria line and see all sorts in he West End.

Not a fan of Gloria now so doubt Iā€™ll head to that one.

1 Like

Just been to see John Simm and Dervla Kirwan in Macbeth at the Festival Theatre , Chichester. I reckon this Shakespeare fella has a future if he sticks at it.

3 Likes

I went to see A Very Expensive Poison about the Litvinenko poisoning. My first trip to the Old Vic and what a lovely venue it is. Even up in the gods you have a good view.
Excellent acting by all the cast. I particularly enjoyed Reece Shearsmith, MyAnna Buring and Tom Brooke.
Unfortunately it finishes tonight but if it comes around it is worth a watch.
I have quite a few rude words and a large golden penis on stage which went down well with the teenage school parties in that day.

1 Like

Off to The Old Vic in December to see Rhys Ifans in A Christmas Carol. Tis a lovely theatre.

I will put that one on my list - sounds like it would be good.

John Simm is a great actor. Been following his career since a BBC drama years ago called ā€˜The Lakesā€™. Never seen him put in a bad performanceā€¦

2 Likes

The Old Vic looking marvellous. Great show this too! A Christmas Carol.

6 Likes

Poof.

2 Likes

Had a bit of everything. Bell-ringing, live orchestra, a turkey on a death slide, hurled satsumas, free mince pies, a really tiny Tim, giant strings of sausages and a snowstorm.

2 Likes

have they been unjustly incarcerated?

2 Likes

I liberated a few.

5 Likes

Blessed be the Pie eaters - Tis the season to be a greedy bastard

3 Likes

I have a ticket for this on 17th. Booked when I was part time. Looks like Iā€™ll have to take some time off.

1 Like

Itā€™s great! Youā€™ll love it!

1 Like

Went there for A Christmas Carol a few years ago, with Rhys Ifans as Scrooge. It was really very good. The theatre is a gem. Saw it on a Friday, stayed over and went to Lille for the Christmas market for the rest of the weekend. A brilliant time.

1 Like