Things in movies that don't make sense

Years ago, I used to drink with a cinema manager. It’s pure margin. If he had a cinema full of people and didn’t manage to sell much in the food and drink area, he’d get bollocked.

2 Likes

thank you for explaining that pap. I genuinely didn’t know it was about making profit.

Add “genuinely didn’t know what point I was making” to that list, which was that its the most important component of their revenue. You’d expect cinemas to make dosh from like, showing new films to the general public. Surprisingly little margin on that.

1 Like

Back in the Depression in America when so many people were out of work, they used to spend a lot of time going to the movies. They needed something cheap to sell to the customers to eat as there wasnt much money about and the cheapest thing they could come up with was popcorn. Of course you need to take out a second mortgage to buy popcorn now. One of the biggest rip offs since replica shirts.

1 Like

that’s more like it. Something I genuinely didn’t know

Well that hurts.

It’s still better than suffering thousands of abusive posts and tangent conversations somewhere else!

1 Like

Why did Papillon leave the beach with all the topless girls? What did he want to do? Crack on back to France? It seemed like he had is made on the beach, why leave?

Robert Downey Jnr.

A complete mystery to me.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is one of my favourite films from recent years. Downey Jr is pretty good in that, but is elevated by a decent supporting cast.

I do get where you’re coming from though. I wasn’t a fan of all the super close up shots of Downey Jr in Iron Man, wasn’t impressed with his Sherlock either. His own idiosyncracies tend to creep into each role. Characters tend to be manic, fast talking. If you’re into that, superb, especially if Shane Black is writing the script. If you’re not, it can be a bit grating.

Apparently they had the barest semblance of a script for the first Iron Man and a tight deadline. A lot of the dialogue is improvisation. Fertile ground for Downey Jr’s talents.

1 Like

I like Robert Downey Jr but I have horrible memories of Kiss Kiss, which I think relate to it being awful. I watched it at the cinema and it displeased me. I can’t remember why now, just shit. I don’t even remember Downey being in the film.

I found a lot to like about it Fatso, not least the lovely Michelle Monaghan.

“Who taught you films?”

1 Like

Characters being hit on the head, by a vase or something, and then being rendered unconcious for hours. I’ve been told this is unrealistic. A ball pein hammer works (I’ve been told)

If you’re a black actor cast in a modern cop buddy comedy with a well known white actor, prepare to be killed off at the end of Act 2 :slight_smile: Your function is to give some motivation to Willis/Gibson etc to kick some revenge ass. Preferably a scene with you family eating lunch beforehand, with the kids.

CPR … The hero has been dead for 3 weeks, Let’s push unconvincibly on his/her chest and cough splutter he/she’s alive!

2 Likes

Originally posted by @TedMaul

Characters being hit on the head, by a vase or something, and then being rendered unconcious for hours. I’ve been told this is unrealistic. A ball pein hammer works (I’ve been told)

If you’re a black actor cast in a modern cop buddy comedy with a well known white actor, prepare to be killed off at the end of Act 2 :slight_smile: Your function is to give some motivation to Willis/Gibson etc to kick some revenge ass. Preferably a scene with you family eating lunch beforehand, with the kids.

CPR … The hero has been dead for 3 weeks, Let’s push unconvincibly on his/her chest and cough splutter he/she’s alive!

I dislike the amnesia trope in general. It was the only bad thing in the first season of 24, for example. It’s just frustrating from a viewer’s perspective. You’ve gone from being invested in the character to some tabula rasa, and it only really works when handled by very decent writing. Otherwise it’s just an over-used trope, as evidenced by the number of sci-fi episodes called Tabula Rasa.

Your second point has bad examples, because neither Murtagh or any of Willis’ sidekicks, black or otherwise, gets offed in the Die Hard movies. The South Africans have a proper pop at the PD in Lethal Weapon 2, though.

Agree on the last one. Massively overused, almost always plays out the same way. Most characters have given them up for dead, but there’s one who won’t let go, and thank God, because they inevitably splutter back into life.

1 Like