Wesley Hoedt confirmed - our new number 6

So Targetts gone, Fats went to the Fringe and Eva’s mate Cob reckons seesaws and Bert are off… quite a day !! … I think my head would of been spanked if DP hadn’t told us all about it yesterday :lou_lol:

3 Likes

Fark me I leave you lot alone for 9 hours and you’ve gone all fiverweb…

F’sure.

Well, he’s a singularly impressive individual.

Captain material f’sure.

1 Like

So if he’s come here to start games (and that’s the only reason he left Lazio), who does he replace?

Yoshida not signing a new deal so frozen out?

Stephens thanked for his efforts but benched until cup games, stifling his progress in the process?

Or three at the back? Has MP got form for that?

Can’t see 3 at the back. Remember Les has decreed we play 4-2-3-1 throughout every age group of the club.

Leave out a creative midfielder or only play 1 DM?

Think he will be benched until Maya or Jack get an injury or mess up or we play against a tall striker then he is in full time

…but not take your pants off…of course. :lou_lol:

4 Likes

Soggy, did you omit the word IF or is there something you want to share with us?

2 Likes

maybe the omitted word was when :lou_wink_2:

8 Likes

Go on then, which one of our “creative” midfielders are we going to miss?

1 Like

I think he has potential…

5 Likes

We’d all cry TADICffs.

But then in his 100 games he has 25 assists…

IF we went 3 at the back then we’d probably be only picking 1 out of Romeu & Lemina

Maybe we’re having a proper go at the cups this year. We shall see the first evidence of this tonight.

I hope so. I know many are expecting a different team tonight, but I would like to see the strongest put out. We need continuity and to build on that shakey win over West Ham. Having now found where the back of the net is, albeit through two pens as well, I’d give them a chance to get a run going with a settled side.

2 Likes

Unfortunately for Jack his stats tell the story for me. He just isn’t that commanding a presence at the back, and is quite short for a Premier League centre back. At the end of the day being 3rd/4th choice centre back at a top half Premier League club puts him and his career in a damn sight better position than he was in about 8 months ago.

The two we have signed this window are both 6’ 3" - 6’ 4". Without Pelle, Fonte and VVD in the side I do feel we have been a bit on the short and slight side. It could be coincidence but the club seem to have addressed that with the signings of Bednarek, Hoedt and even Lemina who is about 6’ and a bit of a lump. Clasie is on the way out as well.

The Premier League is a physical league and even the top teams with silky flair players are complemented with ample numbers of lumps in their side. Even Arsenal, who have long been considered a soft touch, have resorted to playing 3 centre backs. Man Utd have bought 3 new elongated players down the spine of their team. It is why Liverpool (bless them) are so absolutely besotted with the idea of signing VVD. Just look at those stats!

The fact Yoshida hasn’t signed a new deal as of yet, could mean that he has offers elsewhere and is considering his position here before making a decision. If VVD leaves then he may decide to sign and stay. If VVD stays (which looks increasingly likely) then he may well choose to look for first team action elsewhere. In this market we could probably double our money for what we paid for him (£4m/£5m?), which is another tick in the box in terms of how we like to operate.

Should be a fairly interesting last week or so of the window! I can just picture VVD being interviewed by Sky on deadline day in the Anfield car park, in the infamous style of Peter Odemwingie! Unbeknown to him that Les has already fucked off home for the day!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5 Likes

^ the Dubai krew are more than just beach bums you know :sunglasses:

I used to read Chris’ ESPN blog before it got taken on by a Manchester Utd fan (Alex Crook) and as I am not on twitter I look in on his and Simon Peach’ profiles to see what is doing the rounds on there.

Send him my regards!

If we can get Hoedt to play with Van Dyke at the back then we can have no complaints over our back four defence. Blimy it probably has never been much better.

This would really give me hope of a good season beating Everton home and away

Will do.