What is the point of

Well, maybe the world would be better if we allowed those stupid people to electrocute themselves.

Originally posted by @Fatso

Well, maybe the world would be better if we allowed those stupid people to electrocute themselves.

Where do you stop though, Fatso?

You could argue that it’s only fear of stupidity that makes us put electric cabling out of the way and big fences around substations, etc.

This thread has been truly revelatory on the vital usefulness of socks - philosophically, historically, and as they come out of the washing machine.

Thank you papsweb.

I am quite honestly becoming quite confused about the layout of Papsweb concerning it’s categories. I’m not sure if the whole site is monkey tennis, serious discussion or football talk.

I agree, Ohio. You’re confused.

Are you saying that the speccy, geeky aqueduct builders of the Roman empire didn’t wear socks AND sandals? Or was it just the invaders in Britain that we’re sock-less?

If it’s the former, then your argument doesn’t stand up - upon the brightly coloured heel and toe of its own besocked feet.

Everyone knows that the modern day geek’s passion for embracing the athlete’s foot-providing sandal configuration, dates all the way back to those water obsessives of ancient Rome.

To win the argument, I’m going for (b) the invaders - they pioneered not wearing socks and sandals. That’s what the Romans did for us.

1 Like

… well, Pap, as another bard once said:

“To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”

:smile:

3 Likes

Very good of you to raise the tone there, Halo.

I probably didn’t state my case very plainly there, and feared stating it again after Fatso’s “keep it light” advice, but I do find the idea of “a universe with a point” pretty fascinating. It’s probably a hangover from watching Babylon 5 too much. In that show, one of the main characters explains her belief system, which is that corporeal beings like humans are simply little bits of the universe examining itself objectively. It’s a cute conceit, especially as we’re all made from star stuff in the first place.

That specific idea of a universe with a point raises interesting questions. If we’re bits of the universe examining ourselves objectively, when does the report get filed? If the universe wants to know everything about itself, what’s the point of things like linear time, which would force it down one particular avenue?

I have either had too much or not enough coffee this morning…

1 Like

I’ve never watched Babylon 5, Pap, but, like you (and I suspect most of us) I do find myself pondering the big existential question from time to time. After a while, though, it starts to make my head hurt, and it is at this point that Fatso’s advice of ‘keeping it light’ comes in handy, imo.

42…that’s it…what more do you need to know. Love one another, it’s the only thing to justify our existence.

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

42…that’s it…what more do you need to know. Love one another, it’s the only thing to justify our existence.

That sounds like good advice, lifeintheslowlane

Btw, I went to school with Mark King from Level 42.

1 Like

Superdry… well Superdry anything that isn’t super dry.

Bloke outside Costa wearing a cotton, Superdry hoodie, dripping wet and clinging to his overweight midriff.

A walking contradiction. A conundrum in clothes. An ironic iconoclast.

4 Likes

Mosquitos. Die you useless scum.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Food for bats and Gekko’s

Originally posted by @Goatboy

…goatster attempting to court sympathy because insects that are native to Ta-fucking-hi-sodding-ti are sucking the blood of the lucky bastard of a tourist…

…and failing!

2 Likes

Man-buns?

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Man-buns?

Whilst on that topic…nipples on men.

This is the What’s the point of… thread, 'slowlane.

Start your own thread if you want to talk about your fantasies.

I always assumed nipples were the guideline to tell you if your trousers were too high. I may have got that wrong, though.

But they are useful for that purpose because nobody likes polo-neck trousers after all.

1 Like

Originally posted by @saintbletch

This is the What’s the point of… thread, 'slowlane.

Start your own thread if you want to talk about your fantasies.

I always assumed nipples were the guideline to tell you if your trousers were too high. I may have got that wrong, though.

But they are useful for that purpose because nobody likes polo-neck trousers after all…

Ahhh fantasies for my age group involves Jenny Agutter and Julie Christie in a threesome.

Male nipples on Moobs are an abomination…they send ALL the wrong messages…particularly, “I have no right to be here”