When was the last time you wrote a cheque?

If I get a thrill AND a pound I’m ok with it

3 Likes

The semi government body that regulate us at work insist on being paid by cheques. To add to it they are experts in losing post. We had to send the bloody thing 3 times in one month with their accounts department getting arsey on the phone because they hadn’t been paid yet. Living in the bloody Stone Age.

Originally posted by @Intiniki

I wrote a cheque in September for some liability insurance. I used an old cheque book for Abbey National and wondered if that was an issue. Apparently not. My mum is always writing cheques as she isn’t keen on internet banking. She is sure someone will steal her identity.

I think I’m now your mother.

I’m in Customer Service for a bank (management now though boiii) and it constantly amazes me how many people still write cheques on a daily basis. You have to write the cheque, post it, they have to take it to the bank, pay it in, it takes 6 working days to clear and then they get the money. Or you can pick up your phone, press a few buttons and they have it instantly.

People are fucking weird…

2 Likes

Yeah but phone banking is a nightmare! You need a membership number, a PIN number, then about four different security words to remember. I’ve given up on phone banking. Though it does slightly worry me how easy internet banking is!

So after starting this yesterday I received a letter today and what was in it!!! Yep, a cheque which I’ve now gotta go into town and pay in. Bit annoying but it’s an unexpected HMRC refund so worth the trip in tomorrow morning :+1: :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

The bank I work for only uses a User ID, PIN & alphanumeric Password. Dead easy! You’d be surprised how little fraud occurs online versus telephone banking, much safer to do everything online imo…

PM me your bank details and I’ll set it up with HMRC so that your next refund is paid directly into your bank account. :lou_sunglasses:

2 Likes

My bank requires the same PIN / passwords online and via telephone, but if I want to pay someone I have not paid before, I also need my Card Reader machine (to generate more pin numbers) when online. If I phone, they dont need this at all. Hence I always phone if setting up a new payment. Nuts

That’s already too many!! I have a brain the size of a pea, I can’t remember all this stuff!

You moved to London yet Spuds? When you coming to a game?

All the time, it seems that the school system just do not want to get with the times. I school term time, it seems like I am writing 2/3 a week for school dinners, trips, raffles, non school uniform. Never understood why they all have crap websites and you cannot pay online (they might have to get a decent website for this).

Just all seems a little backwards now, as supermarkets stopped taking them years ago. I always pushed at work as a credit manager, to stop customers paying by cheque, but the FD would never go for it. Seems odd, but something I know many do not want to get rid of the cheque. Seems odd to me.

Saying what I have said above, I did like receiving my £1,800 cheque from HMRC, so I loved cheques then!

1 Like

Kid G’s new school is great. I have an online account with them which I can top up when I like for school trips/music fees etc and Kid G has spending money for school she can access by scanning her fingerprint. No point trying to mug her for lunch money. Unless you chop off her fingers.

:lou_facepalm_2:

Yes my wife’s school has this new finger, that you put money on. Just the schools that my kids go to seem to still need cheques for everything.

We had to post a cheque the other week as this company would only accept a money transfer if we faxed them the same day…

It was like 1980 all over again.

I am still surprised that offices have multi purpose fax machines/printers/scanners, but only because companies (mostly marketing) still send faxes and the companies I have worked for still fax documents. Get the scanner set up and email docs with an electronic signature! Crazy!

Been staying at Kew Bridge travelodge this month. Booked into a place in Ealing for January, need to sort somewhere more perminant during that period!

I’m imagining you strutting down the A4/M4 slip road on your way to the 24 hour garage singing killer queen at the top of your voice.

Please tell me this happened?

4 Likes

Originally posted by @Spudders

Been staying at Kew Bridge travelodge this month. Booked into a place in Ealing for January, need to sort somewhere more perminant during that period!

Blimey Spuds, that doesn’t sound like much fun! Hope the new job is going well…