Words you used to use but have fallen out of common usage

And if I was a young man I would no doubt shag you, in a shoddy manner, in the corner of a rural play area.

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Scrumping, now known as theft.

From Viz, of course.

1 Like

Beating up 12 year olds and assaulting them with a metal pipe makes you a have-a-go-hero!

I love the use of heartless, thugs, plucky, grappled etc - a proper tabloid spin story!

2 Likes

He suffered bruised knuckles in the attack. Show some respect, Rallyboy.

My favourite Viz ones are the ads on the back - the old ceramic Diana Queen of Hearts as Cats etc.

Another quality item from The House of Tat.

Mush is very much used by me, my Aaampshire mates and my lad, who is 1/2 mush and 1/2 northern monkey.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Inspired by Mr Bulsara’s David Ginola thread, where the word banger transported me back to a plate of mashed potato, beans, a fried egg and some pork sausages, I wondered what other words we used to commonly use or hear that have fallen by the wayside.

State the word and the definition.

Have at it.

Bangers were always called snorkers in our house, and still are. It’s a naval term for sausages.

1 Like

Nipper, in everyday day use in Stoke-On-Trent via this Sotonian.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Spastic

Spakker. 2016s Spastic.

Originally posted by @Flahute

Spastic

Spakker. 2016s Spastic.

Thought that was Scopey.

1 Like

Cacker - A poor person

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @Flahute

Spastic

Spakker. 2016s Spastic.

Thought that was Scopey.

Not up here. “He’s a rght fucking spakker”. I’ve spelt it as it’s said as I’m unsure how it’s actually written.

Thrice

1 Like

Bumsuck/bumsucker - the practice of taking a drag off a cigarette and leaving it sopping wet, or one who does this. Very unpleasant if it’s your cigarette and it’s handed back to you in this condition.

Full employment - the stated aim of governments for many years following World War II, pretty much achieved by some of them. Apparently abandoned some time around 1979 and never heard of since. (As Ben Elton might have said “Oh! Bit political there!”)*

Tracker - in the days before mountain bikes, this term referred to a bike adapted to ride on off-road dirt tracks, normally with a low gear (yes, just the one), knobbly tyres (probably intended for cyclo-cross use) and no mudguards.

Grollies - testicles. I remember this being prevalent around the time I started secondary school and haven’t heard it since. Clearly transitory and probably very local too. Local slang for local people.

Floccinaucinihilipilification - the act of deeming something to be equivalent to nothing. We used to use this all the time when I was at junior school, but itt seems to have vanished since then.

Elsewhere, I rather like the way that ‘wireless’ has been given a new lease of life thanks to new technology, and I’d love to resurrect the usage of ‘behemoth’, purely because it’s a bloody good word.

* Please don’t think that I like Ben Elton. I don’t. He’s a cunt.

2 Likes

Hello.

Smile.

Its.

Intelligence/intelligent.

You/r.

Please.

Pounce.

Piddle

Plimsoll

My parents

I used to read the NME a lot in the early to mid 70s and the term was used a lot there to describe someone who partied a lot with the aim of getting free booze and food.

Baps

Not the bread sort as in she’s got a nice pair of baps

1 Like