Words you used to use but have fallen out of common usage

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Oik

Toe rag

Vandal

I regularly use all those word…sometimes in the same sentence.

‘Go-off’ - descriptive, derogatory; A friend who will desert you as soon as the more popular kids come along e.g. ‘‘you’re such a go-off!’’. Or if a group of friends has been deserted, a chorus of ‘‘go-off, go-off, pick your nose and blow off!’’ would ensue to let the go-off know of the groups displeasure at their betrayal. I am not suggesting we sing this to Koeman when he comes to St Mary’s. In any case I do not think he would understand the vernacular and it would be a wasted effort.

‘Blow off’ - noun, adjective; A humerous expulsion of gas from the bottom (especially in the middle of school assembly) '‘I am going to blow off’, ‘‘I am blowing off in your general direction’’, ‘‘that blow off really smells’’. Also known as a ‘Guff’.

8 Likes

Shooting brake, easier to just say estate now

“Toe down, Sir!”

I don’t know whether this irritating little phrase was ever a common saying but it was certainly something my dad seemed to enjoy shouting whilst stood on the terraces at the Dell.

It has crept back into my head quite a bit these past few weeks watching England players blazing shots wildly over the bar. :lou_angry:

Is that what became ‘chin over the ball’*, Halo?

I thought ‘toe down’ had more to do with speeding up.

*The RaleighBoy will know nothing about this.

I suppose it could have been, Bletch.

But, you have to take into account that we’re harking back to the days of steel toe caps – well, almost – and also there is the fact that my dad wasn’t exactly the greatest footballer in the world, himself.

1 Like

Joey Deacon: Taken from Blue Peter in the late '70’s (?) and used as a term of endearment to you primary school mates…this was when social inclusiveness was a foreign word and Black Forest Gateaux was the height of sophistication…

“Joey” was often accompanied by a tongue behind the lower lip, forcing a protrusion, and an exclamation of “uuhhhh” too. Not trying to condone it, you understand, but it was the default term of abuse from the lovely chaps from Winnall and Highcliffe at Monty, circa 1982 ish, iirc.

Other, less pernicous, insults that appear to have fallen out of favour are “You Spanner!” and “You Plank!”. Also “Wally”, cribbed from the gregarious Mike Reid of Runaround and 'Stenders fame, had a brief, but notable, time in the sun.

I haven’t heard “Slaphead” for ages, as baldy fellas tend to shave off, or at least cut very short, what little barnet they have left.

Some phrases that i’ve found to be rare these days include “Going to see a man about a dog” and “Bob’s your Uncle”.

I haven’t heard anyone described as “shirty” for a while, either. Last time I described someone as a “Shirty little cunt” i was told that they were in the process of being diagnosed for some condition or other. I felt bad and have subsequently consigned that to the bin.

1 Like

Oh, and boys and girls from the 80’s used to “get off” with each other at house parties and other social events. Nowadays, from what I can observe with my teenage children, they seem to conduct their courtship through a virtual medium that doesn’t involve telling mum you are going to your mates to play football, when really you head straight up to the garages to try and finger Tracey from no 24.

6 Likes

Closely following “getting off” with someone:

Snog

I have no issue with both of these. The new Mrs Bucks says she prefers more sophisticated terms, but as she is Australian thats bollocks

2 Likes

Undercrackers - underwear.

1 Like

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Keks!!

2 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

Keks!!

Smalls!

Originally posted by @Bucks

Originally posted by @BTripz

Keks!!

Smalls!

No, bucks.

That’s just you.

They were known as larges, down Gosport way.

Weren’t “Smalls” girlie pants? Proper fellas wore Y Fronts and called them Kacks, Shreddies or Undercrackers, iirc.

1 Like

Hopefully after today , fucking Brexit

5 Likes

Brassic

Or the state of having no money.

Rust Cohle : Coming out tonight, Bletch?

Bletch : Can’t mate, I’m brassic.

It’s apparently a corruption of the rhyming slang boracic lint = skint.

1 Like

EU membership.

Too soon, Mr Bulsara.

Too soon.

I have been Brassic since I found beer and met women. Not necessarily in that order