'Anti gentrification' protests (attack on Killer Cereal Cafe)

I have a fixed-wheel bike, but no beard. Not quite sure where that leaves me.

Must be difficult to pedal

3 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Whatā€™s a Hipsterā€¦can I be one or am I too old?

I had a pair of Rupert Bear hipsters I bought from ā€œLord Johnā€™sā€ in Carnaby Street in 1966ā€¦does that count?

I have a fixed-wheel bike , but no beard. Not quite sure where that leaves me.

I like a challenge.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Whatā€™s a Hipsterā€¦can I be one or am I too old?

I had a pair of Rupert Bear hipsters I bought from ā€œLord Johnā€™sā€ in Carnaby Street in 1966ā€¦does that count?

I have a fixed-wheel bike , but no beard. Not quite sure where that leaves me.

I like a challenge.

Or do you just sit on it in your hipster flat with hipster floor to ceiling windows so everyone walking by can see you and think ā€œthat hipster there, he is just so hip!ā€

One would also hope that whilst your are astride said hipster accroutrement you are sipping a hipster espresso from a hipster espresso cup or eating hipster cereal!!

3 Likes

I can imagine being offended by some bearded loon trying to sell me Shreddies for a fiver but I think Iā€™d hit back by not buying them, rather than dressing like a fucking idiot and chucking paint around.

Sounds like hobbyist protesters who canā€™t be arsed to take on a proper cause so they attack a small business that sells cereal.

Itā€™s just attention-seeking from some tossers who have modelled themselves on Rik from the Young Ones and think they can bring down Thatcher via a cafe.

Look at me in my little mask, Iā€™m dangerous!

No youā€™re not, youā€™re a tit.

4 Likes

This is an article written by one of the protestors.

While I sympathise with the workers who had to clean up on Sunday, and am deeply sorry that some children were intimidated by the protest, the petty vandalism that occurred pales in comparison to the brutality of the gentrification that is destroying the lives and demolishing the homes of some of Londonā€™s most vulnerable people.

Some 49% of the children in the borough live below the poverty line. Property developers and private landlords are making millions forcing these children and families out of their homes, often through violent evictions, and they are regularly moved into inadequate temporary accommodation and sometimes on to the streets. Many parents in the area suffer the indignity of relying on food banks to feed their children while the new Shoreditch residents can make a successful business selling childrenā€™s cereal for Ā£5 a bowl.

Originally posted by @pap

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/28/cereal-killer-cafe-protest-gentrification-poverty

While I sympathise with the workers who had to clean up on Sunday, and am deeply sorry that some children were intimidated by the protest, the petty vandalism that occurred pales in comparison to the brutality of the gentrification that is destroying the lives and demolishing the homes of some of Londonā€™s most vulnerable people.

Some 49% of the children in the borough live below the poverty line. Property developers and private landlords are making millions forcing these children and families out of their homes, often through violent evictions, and they are regularly moved into inadequate temporary accommodation and sometimes on to the streets. Many parents in the area suffer the indignity of relying on food banks to feed their children while the new Shoreditch residents can make a successful business selling childrenā€™s cereal for Ā£5 a bowl.

So, they know what the problem is. But do absolutely nothing about it. Good work chaps.

Originally posted by @pap

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/28/cereal-killer-cafe-protest-gentrification-poverty

I hate how they try to justify the violence and vandalism. Why canā€™t they justify peacefully (more rhetorical - weā€™ve debated this MANY a time). This isnā€™t fucking Apartheid.

If I had someone attacking my house or my livelihood, I would protect it with all I have available.

Personally, I donā€™t agree with Gypsies and the way they run around this country not paying tax, stealing and attacking people, with police too scared to do anything. However I wouldnā€™t go and burn their caravans to the floor though, BECAUSE Iā€™M NOT A HYPOCRITICAL CUNT.

But you are an angry boy! Also, you quote like Sooty.

Ha, definitely angry!

All I do is press the quote button and type - itā€™s not particularly fun on mobile.

1 Like

Will you please remove the webcam from my hipster pad (please note that itā€™s a pad, not a flat. Flats are just soooo unhip).

2 Likes

If that were my borough or if it were yours and you didnā€™t have the skills or education to buy or leave of you own choice what would you do? Its these peoples homes and areas, they are being systematically being moved out over fads and consumerism, fuck that bollocks I would rather have a real City with a pulse than a fucking breakfast shop, I have never been to Berlin but its the next City break Iā€™m doing and GodI am jealous of their social rent controls. We are a bunch of free market parasites selling our soul, the City of London is queen of the whores.

Iā€™d move to a cheaper area. Thatā€™s what we had to do. I didnā€™t go and vandalise anywhere. Itā€™s the behaviour of a toddler rebelling against its parents.

I can actually agree with that. However, it doesnā€™t take away from the fact that this ā€˜protestā€™ was aimed in completely the wrong direction, or indeed that it was probably not local people involved in the protest anyway. Youā€™re hardly going to change a shite system by attacking a few people who have no more control over it than you do yourself.

Put simply, if it were my borough I wouldnā€™t be attacking a fucking cafĆ©, no matter how stupid I thought the cafĆ© might be.

2 Likes

The worst thing in all of this is that (partly through the violence itself and partly through the way itā€™s been reported) the intended message has been completely lost. Gentrification will continue unabated.

I can sympathise with the feeling of helplessness.

Cheap area of London, go on I listening?

People get desperate when they are helpless, people in poor housing living next to some of the richest will have adverse affects, this Country does not value the worth of solid community foundations, it is all about yourself, a crying shame and one of the reasons I do wish sometimes we could move back to NZ.

I said cheaper, so no idea what Iā€™m comparing it to, but places like Leytonstone, Ilford, Walthamstow and the like are pretty cheap. And if not cheap enough a little further out you have Dartford, Gillingham etc.

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

If that were my borough or if it were yours and you didnā€™t have the skills or education to buy or leave of you own choice what would you do? Its these peoples homes and areas, they are being systematically being moved out over fads and consumerism, fuck that bollocks I would rather have a real City with a pulse than a fucking breakfast shop, I have never been to Berlin but its the next City break Iā€™m doing and GodI am jealous of their social rent controls. We are a bunch of free market parasites selling our soul, the City of London is queen of the whores.

Iā€™d move to a cheaper area. Thatā€™s what we had to do. I didnā€™t go and vandalise anywhere. Itā€™s the behaviour of a toddler rebelling against its parents.

I said cheaper, so no idea what Iā€™m comparing it to, but places like Leytonstone, Ilford, Walthamstow and the like are pretty cheap.

Ok Mr Tebbit.

1 Like

I said cheaper, so no idea what Iā€™m comparing it to, but places like Leytonstone, Ilford, Walthamstow and the like are pretty cheap.

Ok Mr Tebbit.

Iā€™m assuming you donā€™t know London well, hence the inability to debate this and the above comment?