Are we becoming more xenophobic since Brexit?

There’s something a little insular about this thread that doesn’t sit right with me. While I think it a perfectly fair question, and have no wish to play whatabouttery, the truth is that many nations are becoming more xenophobic, including some of our European partners that we’ve voted to distance ourselves from.

France is a basket case on the issue. The only reason Front National aren’t even further on in France is because the French establishment has been chucking roadblocks in their way, such as boundaries or threshold changes. Eastern European countries, freed from Soviet influence, have reasserted their nationalism, and not always in a productive way. Denmark is signed up to Schengen but still doing border checks. Trump is talking about building a fucking wall, p’raps not realising that many people have been crossing the border in tunnels.

A lot of countries are looking inward, not just us.

I Pap have been saying that for years, our Nationalism is nothing and I mean absolutely nothing compared to the continent, nearly every Country has an established far right or extreme left radical party, we are arguably the most tolerant Nation in Europe or certainly one of them, people with a hatred of this Country or ones with an agenda will never accept that, I suggest they travel a bit more.

Poland has a right wing Nationalist Government in power now closing down the press, add Hungary, Austria and the new Nations in there, do people genuinely believe we are not tolerant?

The right have always been present in France, always, its not new at all and its prevelant in the South especially, people on this site and others really don’t know their arse from their elbow on it, an ignorant bigot is one thing but an organised Nationalist political party is quite another, and please UKIP are nowhere near that, all they prove is how middle of the road our politics is and thats the beauty of it.

But the atmosphere has changed in the UK since the referendum, it is seen by some as a watershed moment.

People are braver now to say what they really think and that has clearly surfaced as hate crimes on the street.

That vocal minority make us look a nastier country now.

1 Like

There will always be ignorant arseholes about, that will never change, we aren’t that bad a Country, we should challenge all intolerance, I do, cultural, religious and ones of colour all should be questioned.
Not solely one section of one community as that in itself is agenda driven and racist.
If people are now saying what they really think is that a bad thing? They can be questioned and argued with then, you’re asking for a silent parallel life which is one of the reasons why we are here, we must question everything and not be afraid to do so.

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

But the atmosphere has changed in the UK since the referendum, it is seen by some as a watershed moment.

People are braver now to say what they really think and that has clearly surfaced as hate crimes on the street.

That vocal minority make us look a nastier country now.

Please.

It’s not like all of our racists were quiet as church mice before Brexit, or perhaps sir forgets all the times the likes of the EDL attempted to solve Islamic extremism by turning up mob-handed at a market town.

Or the “white man” march in Liverpool.

I expect by the end of the year, it’ll be Brexit, and not the Polish guarantee, that kicked off the Second World War.

You cant debate this without a bit of a snidey comment there pap can you? You ‘protest’ too much oin this issue, because it makes you uncomfortable knowing that Breti has indeed opened the door for right wingers to feel 52% of the country agrees with them- They feel its given them a mandate to be more vocal and spread their shit.

Difference between you an me is I hope YOU are right and it will fade and its just an over reaction…but I suspect we will see this as the norm now and its not nice. Those who voted for this should at least have the balls to admit they allowed it to happen even if they dont agree with it… its a consequence of their actions that was always likely and many wanred of prior to he vote.

1 Like

The whole thread is about a specific ramification of Brexit. It’s an interesting one because while the question is an interesting one, it’s also a little pointless. Brexit didn’t make anyone xenophobic. Indeed, we’ve had arguments from the Remain camp that xenophobia was driving the Leave vote.

All that stuff was already there, and for every newly emboldened xenophobe, there’s a crying 48% whitey going around with a fucking safety pin because he wants to show he’s against racism, but doesn’t actually know anyone outside his cultural group.

Oh come on, you are trying to twist this. Of course the level of ignornace has chnaged - because quite frankly some have been taken in by the BS spread druing teh Brexit camapiagn about the ‘negative’ impact on the UK of open borders and mirgation… and with 52% of he country coming out and voting in that way the latent very vocal minority have woken up and begun spreading their bile even more frequently. This became possible BECAUSE of the way 52% voted. Itwa swarned off before and the lurch to right is here… as I said, I hope it fades, but doubt it will in the forseeable…

as for you ’ 48% whiteygoing around with a fucking safety pin…’ comment, next you will be using ‘liberal elite’ - you seem to have been blinded by your own inner turmoil, having voted for your principled deomcratic stance knowing this shit woudl happen and being in part responsible for it… yet you wont ever admit it because you are stuck in your little ivory tower - in papsworld, you are only responsible for the good implications of your vote, never the bad…

When Gay and Pap start on this topic, it is time to leave the thread

3 Likes

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Oh come on, you are trying to twist this. Of course the level of ignornace has chnaged - because quite frankly some have been taken in by the BS spread druing teh Brexit camapiagn about the ‘negative’ impact on the UK of open borders and mirgation… and with 52% of he country coming out and voting in that way the latent very vocal minority have woken up and begun spreading their bile even more frequently. This became possible BECAUSE of the way 52% voted. Itwa swarned off before and the lurch to right is here… as I said, I hope it fades, but doubt it will in the forseeable…

Can’t agree with that. Are you honestly saying that people became more ignorant because of Brexit. Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but the British public are lied to pretty much all the time on many aspects of policy. We’ve got a Conservative government carving up the NHS that promised it wouldn’t do it. We’ve got people that think that Muslims are a threat. That has been the case since 2001.

There has been plenty of ignorance all around, really - manufactured to order. As I said before, Brexit is merely a ratcheting up in the tension of something that has already been happening for years.

as for you ’ 48% whiteygoing around with a fucking safety pin…’ comment, next you will be using ‘liberal elite’ - you seem to have been blinded by your own inner turmoil, having voted for your principled deomcratic stance knowing this shit woudl happen and being in part responsible for it… yet you wont ever admit it because you are stuck in your little ivory tower - in papsworld, you are only responsible for the good implications of your vote, never the bad…

Ah, it’s a load of shit. What happens if someone doesn’t get the politically correct memo and doesn’t wear a safety pin? Does a non-caucasian instantly think “racist”? I’d bloody hope not, because in my experience, the vast majority of people aren’t racist.

This isn’t generally a racist country. Much of the crap we have is explainable, and fixable over the long term. When I canvassed before the locals, one bloke said he wouldn’t vote Labour because of “all the fucking Indians you’re giving houses to”. I’d like to think that bloke is more frustrated about his kids not getting a house, rather than actually hating Indian people (they were actually Bangladeshi).

If we extricate ourselves from the terror wars, we’ll have much less reason to demonise those we’re presently robbing blind. Brexit was a vote, nowt more, and yes, some racists voted Leave. Then again, so did 30% of Britain’s Muslim population. What do you say to them?

Nothing, as usual probs. You’re wearing a safety pin. Job done :lou_facepalm_2:

There was a time not so long ago on this forum when people who had voted for Tories were partly responsible for the results of the policies that were implemented. However I think that site policy changed when Pap voted Brexit. I think it’s the only thing I’ve ever known him change his mind on.

Curious.

3 Likes

That was on the dark side, miladdo.

What you’re trying to do here is equate a change of position, explained at length and with some deference to you at the time, into an attack now.

We’ve been through this already. Would you like my speech on why I don’t think it’s okay to attack people for their voting choices anymore, or shall we simply conclude that you’re having a hypo moment in someone else’s row and leave it there, seeing as we’re discussing ancient history and all?

I’d love an opportunity to explain, in full, why I’ve changed my mind again. I just wanted to point out its utter redundancy ahead of time.

The far right now believe that they are no longer on the margins but part of a big happy gang - the people who stood with them when they voted to chuck out foreigners.

I’d like to think that some of the 52% are surprised by the result of their vote with regards to the economy and the increase in hate crimes, and it could be good for them if they admitted that they hadn’t realised the full implications of their little cross.

Likewise, if our economy is booming in three years, the far right have been nailed down and we have trade deals that are better than the EU, I will be the first one on here to say, fuck me I got that wrong!

1 Like

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

The far right now believe that they are no longer on the margins but part of a big happy gang - the people who stood with them when they voted to chuck out foreigners.

Source?

Yep… but he offered an unusal defence of this by stating Brexit was just one question on the ballot paper - funny because i though there were no questions on the General electionone,just alist of names… its the Pap defence- change the rules to suit.

…and I dont wear a safety pin…

… and I do have black friends who I go to dinner with and would be more tahn happy if my daughter went out with or married their son… but I must be a modern liberal elitist 48percenter crying. I am not crying. But the right were always going to feel triumphant and express that following a brexit vote. Papa does ont have te excuse hewas naive about it, he just cjose to ignore all the negative consequences when making his decision.

Who’s ignoring anything?

From the moment we’ve voted out, I’ve said people need to take responsibility for the post-Brexit settlement and make it work. There are a ton of opportunities we didn’t have before, and we’re going to have a ton of problems that we didn’t have before.

Leave voters think it worth the gamble.

What about the 30% of Muslims that voted for Brexit? Genuinely interested in how you reconcile those guys within your rather rigid worldview.

I’ve yet to hear anyone admit that they didn’t understand the implications of things like passporting in the financial world or that they didn’t realise trade deals were so difficult to negotiate.

And re the source, as usual before posting, I did a phone poll of 8,300 people last night and quizzed them all on a range of topics.

Of the 13% who admitted to being racist, 64% confessed to feeling more confident in expressing views publically post-Brexit, and 32% said they were more worried about erectile dysfunction.

There were a surprising number who seemed to think I was trying to sell them something and refused to accept I was just trying to gather the level of data now required to justify an opinion on a football forum.

3 Likes

Most of the Brexit voters I know keep regaling me on how it will all be sorted out in two years and everything will be hunky dory. The only thing to stop that happening is negitive people like me who keep on going on about it’s likely to take from 7 to 10 years.

I feel so silly now that they’ve pointed that out. :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

It would actually help if people started getting down to business instead of wailing about it.

Would anyone like to explain why we’re not sitting in EU meetings, other than posturing?

I have read this this morning and the posturing and lack of actual content stick out, I’ll ask a question Rallyboy to you, who do you mean by far right what determines far right? A patriot? What in your mind constitutes far right?