Are we becoming more xenophobic since Brexit?

If you ask my mum if something is left or right, she looks at her hands srs.

They can’t get down to business until the trigger Article 50, which they won’t as they don’t yet know what the fuck they are doing/want.

I see Liam Fox has just been told to jog on regarding a bilaterial deal with the US as like most places, they want to know how our relationship with the EU will be framed.

Barry, if you have access to Google, check out far right, you’ll probably find loads on it.

Anything else you need, just ask. :laughing:

Well chat about it next time we get together for a match I’m sure!

My point was that we’re demonstrably _not _in EU meetings, yet haven’t triggered Article 50.

Until we do, our legal status is completely unchanged, including our access to meetings.

Ah, I miss understood. No, it makes no sense, we are still in and should, therefore, still be carrying on as normal.

No answer the question, you throw out that line and tag and yet you either don’t know who and what the far right are or you won’t say, its very easy.

If you seriously need me to define something as simple as that I think perhaps you should start on less complex threads and build up.

I won’t be joining you in your little argument, it normally ends with me having to point out that you are wrong again, and that gets dull for everyone. :smile:

You haven’t a clue to what you are on about, you’re a delusional kid who knows very little about politics.

Ah bollocks.

I don’t always agree with Rallyboy but there’s no way he should have to explain “far right” to you.

1 Like

Rallyboy is out of order suggesting that Barry is on the far right tho. I’ve known him for v.many years now, and I’ve never noticed him being even a little bit right.

7 Likes

The far right is subjective, thats the answer I was looking for, politics is subjective, an example is Clinton is seen as a democrat when she would firmly be in the tory camp here, our perceieved right are not in the great scheme of things ie in comparison with our continental friends.so asking someone to define what far right is is perfectly relevant.

How does Rallyboy feel about far right views of arranged marriage, gay rights and womens rights?

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

Likewise, if our economy is booming in three years, the far right have been nailed down and we have trade deals that are better than the EU, I will be the first one on here to say, fuck me I got that wrong!

I voted to leave because I sincerely believe its in my interest to do so.

I’m 25, soon to be 26. Since graduating from with a 2:1 from Southampton (admittedly in Philosophy) I’m still living at home and have worked my way up from the crushing lows of earning £7.20 at a call-centre and £7.50 on a building site, to £17,000 in my first proper job doing newsletters at a market reports company, to the dizzying heights of the £21,000 I’m still earning now as a financial journalist. In London. In a job that required a degree and experience.

When a colleague of mine asked the boss for a raise he was apologised to, and told that ‘I know it’s not really enough to live on’. Lol.

Things aren’t good. There’s little to lose. The status quo sucks. I have every incentive to press the button marked ‘Twist’ as opposed to the one labelled ‘Stick’. And do you know what? Even if it does go tits up you’re right in thinking that I probably won’t have any regrets about my decision. If I offer you the chance to double your money on the roll of a dice in the event that you land a 3 or higher, you’ve made the right decision to accept the bet in a mathematical sense regardless of whether the dice comes up with a 1 or 2.

Forgive me if I don’t consider it my responsibility to vote ‘sacrificially’ as a ballast against the numbskulls who think that leaving the EU gives them legitimacy to racially abuse people. The cross said ‘Leave’. Nothing else.

5 Likes

Why is any of that the EU’s fault and why will it change when we leave?

3 Likes

Do you know if the ÂŁ7.20 call centre job is still up for grabs?

2 Likes

Ha! As it happens there are plenty. It was for one of those delightful charity callcentres where your job was to ring old ladies up and ask them to give more of their pension. Save The Children’s top executive’s company cars won’t pay for themselves dont’ya know.

Actually the EU did enforce a mandatory 15-minute break for every 3 1/2 hours of work. Thank goodness, where would I have been without that?

1 Like

You’re not going to like this, and its a great shame that I felt forced to vote this way, but as I stood in the voting booth and my pen hovvered over the two boxes I thought to myself, “Damn… maybe strangling the labour supply is, out of pure self-interest, my best option?”

It certainly works for the tube drivers, who earn in excess of £50k and have over 40 days holiday each year purely on account of the fact that they effectively run a closed shop by only allowing people who’ve worked for TFL for (I think 6) years to apply - which discriminates against immigrants by proxy. I’d give my left nut for a job as a tube driver.

Now compare it to the company I worked for (the ÂŁ17k one). That place was full of graduates with similar degrees to my own. Kids out of University stuck in the no-job-because-no-experience-because-no-job cycle - and plenty of them dead bright. The problem was that everyone was just utterly replaceable and the company knew it full well and was happy to exploit that.

Its not nice when you’re seriously considering the idea that you might simply need to come to terms with the fact that you’ll never own a home, have enough money to get married and raise a family and retire, at best, at 65-70-odd.

Besides, what have I got to really lose? Lets flip the question around - how would staying the EU have benefitted me?

4 Likes

You could easily move to one of the EU countries crying out for 2:1 Philosophy Graduates. like i.e. Estonia. I should do it now before Brexit door is Slam Shut tho.

So you wanted to cut off the immigrant labour supply? Are you saying that all those graduates you worked with in your 17k job were being denied jobs because of immigration?

Not necessarily immigration (although I’d say well over 50% of the company were indeed migrants (and clever ones with degrees too!) - mainly from Spain/Greece/Italy); but a replacability in general.

You simply don’t have any bargaining lever if you’re replacable.

Now, if you’re arguing that I ought to simply shut up and get competing or that I’m voting selfishly then that’s fine, but it doesn’t answer the question of how it’s in my interest to remain in the EU.