:brexit: Brexit - The Ramifications

Originally posted by @Bucks

Originally posted by @Smiler

Seen this - might be helpful to some:

If you voted out because of “unelected politicians” then well done because we’re about to get an unelected prime minister.

If you voted out because of immigration then well done, because you just lost the right of free movement too. Just wait 'til you have to get a visa to go to Glasgow or Belfast.

If you voted out because people were “stealing your jobs” then well done, because you’re about to see Germany and France “steal” Nissan and a bunch of other companies who only manufacture here as a gateway to the eu market.

If you voted out because you think we’ll get a great trade deal with the EEA “like Norway did”, think again. Take a look around your Sainsbury’s Local and try and find any fruit and veg that’s grown in the UK. We need them more than they need us, and like the EEA, we’ll have to accept EU policies like free movement as part of a trade deal anyway - except now we won’t be able to have any say in them.

If you voted out because of vague scaremongering headlines like “Migrant Crisis” then please, feel free to remind me when it was that Syria joined the EU.

If you voted out because Farage promised £350m for the NHS, then I’m sure you’ll be happy to watch him on This Morning revealing that that was a lie.

If you voted out and you’re heading into retirement, then great job! Because now the working people of this nation will break their backs to afford your pension without the influx of young, economically active and skilled EU migrants.

If you voted out because you think we’ll be better off, the £ has just fallen by 8% against the dollar.

And if you voted out because you love this country, prepare to see it crumble, with threats of a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland just hours after the result was confirmed.

Well done, Britain.

Jeez, there’s there’s some bullshit in that!

And a good deal of truth too.

And therein lies my biggest problem - sorting out the truth from the bullshit! Some of it is very plausible, possible, and even probable, but all the time they try and spin it with all the other bullshit, I end up ignoring it all!

That’s why I put the video up again…it’s purely factual…no ear-catching soundbites you can quote but it might put things in perspective.

Thanks for that. Very interesting and, sadly, not in any way reassuring.

1 Like

I don’t think man-on-the-street needs experts telling him stuff, like facts.

9 Likes

I have a friend on FB who has been posting Brexit bullshit for the last 2 months…today he’s still posting it telling us all that the fall and recovery on the markets yesterday proves it was all just a blip.

Everything in the garden is rosy…I’m so relieved. :lou_lol:

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

I have a friend on FB who has been posting Brexit bullshit for the last 2 months…today he’s still posting it telling us all that the fall and recovery on the markets yesterday proves it was all just a blip.

Shit!..I wish I had more friends on facebook!

Who knows what will happen? But that is my issue. The people who voted leave don’t have a clue what the outcome will be down the line. Anyway, I just wanted to respond to one of your points. In my experience people do vote for Prime Ministers/parties. I have had plenty of conversations over the years with people who have said they are voting for Thatcher or Blair or for the Tories of for Labour. Ask them who their local candidate is and often they don’t have a clue!

Ramifications?

Difficult to predict the details, but I’d say (I’m guessing like the rest of us) that the wealthy will flourish, again, the less well off will get shafted, again, and those in the middle will blame their shittier lives on either those that voted for Brexit or the remaining EU members for making the divorce so messy.

6 Likes

Very interesting.

Originally posted by @jet-sounds

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Shit!..I wish I had more friends on facebook!

Shit…I wish you could quote!

…and (a bit of a generalisation here…) those that vote for a prime minister rather than a political agenda are probably the same people who fell for the spin (both for and against) rather than to listen to educated people’s opinions such as those in the video that was quoted earlier. That video should have been compulsory viewing for everyone intending to vote! I would also hope there are other similar videos that provide a reasoned and accurate view on immigration which was barely touched on but in all truth, is probably the key subject that those who voted to leave were most concerned about. By immigration I am not just referring to numbers but also to the perceived impact it has had through all facets of everyday life from education to nhs to housing to jobs etc etc…

PS It’s been a pleasure to actually be able to put forward opposing points of view without the need to degenerate into personal attacks. I’m here to learn and be educated and hear two sides to every story. Another reason why, in the majority of cases, this is such an enjoyable forum to be a part of. Well done to all for ensuring it has continued in that vein without letting too many personal vendettas develop. With a few exceptions. :wink:

6 Likes

Don’t get too comfy, it can go from mature debate to spot the fuckwit in the blink of an eye.

7 Likes

SPOTTED

4 Likes

Your prize is a night out with Bletch!

And 2nd prize is…

Your prize is a night out with Bletch!

And 2nd prize is…

Pap?

My opinion is that Boris, Gove and all the rest of them didn’t expect to win and therefore had no coherent plans as to what they would do if they did. They are clueless. Their whole campaign was based on bare faced lies, and overt racism. From their ludicrous promise to divert the fictitious 350 million quid a week into the NHS, to Farage’s disgraceful poster of brown skinned refugees, which was a throwback to the 1930’s. Before Cameron had even conceded on Friday morning Farage was admitting that the 350 million quid a week pledge was a “mistake”, ( a lie to you and me). Today we had Nigel Evans MP, a leading Brexiteer and policy maker telling us that if people thought that a leave vote would mean a stop to refugees coming from Europe they “misunderstood”. WTF! These two pledges amounted to their whole arguments. To quote the great John Lydon, “Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated”? It is very hard to escape the conclusion that anyone who voted leave must be, to put it charitably, a bit gullible. Yesterday Boris was furiously back pedalling, talking about there being “No hurry to leave”, give us a few years etc etc. Unfortunately for him the rest of the EU are having none of it, they have made it quite clear that they want us gone, ASAP. And who could blame them. The UK have spent the past few decades whining from the sidelines, kicking against and trying to veto any amount of legislations the rest of the members want to bring in. Truth be told they will be breathing a collective sigh of relief. And one thing is for sure, they will make our exit as painful as possible to serve as a warning to any other nations that might foolish enough to be tempted to go down the same road. You can take that to the bank. Meanwhile, Boris, Gove and their chums seem to have headed for the hills, keeping their heads down, not a peep out of them. This was the last sighting of them this morning.

2 Likes

Seen this - might be helpful to some:

If you voted out because of “unelected politicians” then well done because we’re about to get an unelected prime minister.

As we’re always told, you vote for a Government not a PM.

If you voted out because of immigration then well done, because you just lost the right of free movement too. Just wait 'til you have to get a visa to go to Glasgow or Belfast.

Who’d want to go to Belfast or Glasgow?

If you voted out because people were “stealing your jobs” then well done, because you’re about to see Germany and France “steal” Nissan and a bunch of other companies who only manufacture here as a gateway to the eu market.

We’re still going to be in the single market, so why will that be an issue?

If you voted out because you think we’ll get a great trade deal with the EEA “like Norway did”, think again. Take a look around your Sainsbury’s Local and try and find any fruit and veg that’s grown in the UK. We need them more than they need us, and like the EEA, we’ll have to accept EU policies like free movement as part of a trade deal anyway - except now we won’t be able to have any say in them.

No-one knows the deal we’re going to get yet. Oh yeah, and strawberries.

If you voted out because of vague scaremongering headlines like “Migrant Crisis” then please, feel free to remind me when it was that Syria joined the EU.

Agree with this one.

If you voted out because Farage promised £350m for the NHS, then I’m sure you’ll be happy to watch him on This Morning revealing that that was a lie.

Farage wasn’t part of the Leave campaign, he’s not an MP, so you shouldn’t be listening to him anyway.

If you voted out and you’re heading into retirement, then great job! Because now the working people of this nation will break their backs to afford your pension without the influx of young, economically active and skilled EU migrants.

If you voted out because you think we’ll be better off, the £ has just fallen by 8% against the dollar.

_Yes, but who’s to say it won’t go back up, and it will. _

And if you voted out because you love this country, prepare to see it crumble, with threats of a unified Ireland and an independent Scotland just hours after the result was confirmed.

Scotland and Northern Ireland aren’t in this ‘country’.

Well done, Britain.

I think that’s pretty much bunkum all the way through, and they type of shit that seems to be constantly parroted on social media.

be clear about this. farage “admitted” that the official leave campaign made a mistake in pledging 350m a week all to the NHS.

Where did they actually say that all the £350m would be spent on the NHS?

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @Sotonist

be clear about this. farage “admitted” that the official leave campaign made a mistake in pledging 350m a week all to the NHS.

Where did they actually say that all the £350m would be spent on the NHS?

4 Likes