Conservative Party Conference

I have never heard so much distortion of the truth! What world does this man live in?

1 Like

Conservatives definitely not taking Corbyn lightly from this speech. All about the Conservatives being caring, trying to do best for the poor. In the words of Elvis, they’re ‘all shook up’.

As said yesterday, the Conservatives are now quite blatantly going for the centre ground.

The Caring Conservatives t__rying to do the best for the poor?

That’s right up there with statesman-like Corbyn.

Good luck with that campaign!

They can barely see the centre ground from where they are now, let alone contest it.

Facts beat spin everytime.

2 Likes

We’ll see how widely that maxim is applied, Rallyboy, but compared with “ask me anything” Jezza, who, whatever else you might think about him, says what he thinks and has policy reflecting those ideals, Cameron is going to have to increasingly have to rely on the polished turd act. It won’t be a flattering comparison.

Just to clarify - I was suggesting the c_aring Conservatives_ can’t see the centre ground from their current position.

Then again the country voted for the cuts and policies we are now seeing so there should be no complaints.

It’s loosely known as democracy.

1 Like

I guess someone from the two traditional major parties needs to try to occupy the centre ground, seeing as it appears to be vacant and there is no other party credible to grab it, for now.

Tis a wasteland.

Step forward LibDems - both of them.

I’ve seen Tariq Ali speak about the “extreme centre”. It’s the sort of phrase that once processed, cannot be unthought, largely because there seems to be an inherent assumption that anything centrist has to be accommodating, and therefore cannot be extreme. It’s nonsense, of course - for the past thirty years, politicians of all stripes have been extremely keen on promoting business to the exclusion of all else, knowing that they will be extremely well off for doing so.

We’ve got a staggering number of former Parliamentarians sitting on the boards of corporates, according to Owen Jones’ The Establishment, the highest proportion of any developed nation in the world. So let’s lose the idea that the centre cannot be extreme. Many of these people are bought and paid for before they’ve even taken a seat, others see the abundance of riches in the Grey Havens of the corporate sector. Either way, anyone that abandons the basic needs of his or her constituents for personal avarice is a fucking extremist, Cameron and Blair included.

1 Like

Cameron’s home building plan comes under scrutiny from the Mirror.

It’s interesting, because the sums involved are not small. If the public doesn’t buy the idea that there is going to be a benefit to them, Cameron doesn’t really have a policy. He has a problem.

I assume they’re just using the upper cap to estimate this are they?

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

I’m not a supporter of any party and don’t want to get locked in battles with followers of any leaning blindly spouting their own view of the world, because NO party has all the answers, but…

With those hardworking families now being attacked along with the poor and weak, police snipers monitoring a peaceful anti-austerity protest, and the home sec making up figures to appease racists, are we sleepwalking back towards being a very uncaring society?

No. We’ve been one for about 20 years or so.

Originally posted by @pap

A lot of sympathy with that view except for one thing. Many people are already there, and all May is really doing is pandering to that crowd. ( True. But that is a view that persists, will persist and might have some validity to it: i.e. 'Is someone on your side really so? ) I have a very cynical view of the true purpose of multiculturalism as practiced here. It’s playing divide and rule in your own country. ( I think it’s more a case of playing with the cards dealt than stacking the deck, but the effects are the same ). The amount of people that I have thought quite reasonable on race relations that have been stirred into some inane comment on Facebook is staggering, and a little disappointing. May knows that audience is out there, and guess what, their votes count just as much as anyone elses. ( See first point )

See edits above.

Oh yes, the conference season is always good for people giving their audience what they want to hear, but when a cabinet minister makes up figures and few people question them?

I think we’ve been here before on the subject of Facebook and spin, but are we becoming a country of blindly-led simpletons who don’t even question stuff that has clearly been made-up?

Always have been apart from, perhaps, a few decades in the last century. Hence ‘education’.

Actually, I consider the opposite is true vis a vis the involvement of an intelligent, independent and independent minded class that is growing and eventually becomes the norm - i.e. it won’t happen.

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Interesting speech from Cameron, and quite good imho. Proper attacks on Labour, and especially on the self-righteous way they preach - which is something all on the right have to put up with and is difficult to stomach.

And those who aren’t blinkered have to stomach from all sides (Hunt, May, etc). No need to worry about the once-centrist Lib Dems; they’re history.

The Caring Conservatives t__rying to do the best for the poor?

That’s right up there with statesman-like Corbyn.

Good luck with that campaign!

They can barely see the centre ground from where they are now, let alone contest it.

Facts beat spin everytime.

Y’see, I wanted to vote this one upwards but your conclusion kills it. Spin works because it helps reinforce peoples’ superior view of themselves and when it’s from a ‘presence’ such as an outward, external, valued source it gains further validity as decided by the individual.

Originally posted by @pap

We’ll see how widely that maxim is applied, Rallyboy, but compared with “ask me anything” Jezza, who, whatever else you might think about him, says what he thinks and has policy reflecting those ideals, Cameron is going to have to increasingly have to rely on the polished turd act. It won’t be a flattering comparison.

Only with those who aren’t ‘decided’ i.e. blinkered already. Labour’s best hope is another recession (perhaps), and that would be ironic.

FFS Burp, learn to quote! *cry*

Tis the problem with democracy… even fuckwits get to vote :astonished: :wink:

2 Likes