Conservative Party Conference

They get to stand too.

4 Likes

I remember and if anyone has the time please go back to the rat web over the road and find it that I stated that the goal of the EU was to drive down workers rights and have them and us fight for the crumbs, division tactics.
I got called a racist, the sad part is if you said this 10 years ago in a Labour Party the response would have been the same.
Only the Unions had the bollocks to question the EU and the rapid immigration that has taken place (along with UKIP)
The good thing about all of this is now we can legitimately say we fear the EU and immigration policy as it stands unchecked and not be classed unfairly and ignorantly as a racist but more of a concerned worker who wants rights that were fought for maintained, one battle at a time.

Iā€™m very skeptical of the EU. I think it has the potential to be a very good thing or a very bad thing. I do not disagree one bit with your assessment that people are cynically exploiting the single market to lower working conditions for everyone, with that market of 500m to sell to and draw from.

Thing is, I would be okay with a democratic EU, which could legimitately discuss and change policy on all issues, including the pressures that free movement creates on popular countries like us, than an unelected Commission made up of establishment favourites, deciding the agenda for everyone. The one thing that really puzzles me is why so many countries signed over huge parts of their sovereignty to such a body.

Because cheap labour outweighs the benefits of sole responsibility over domestic affairs, keeping things cheap keeps the Western Europeans happy.
Our populations are getting older, who will look after them if we want it cheap?
If we want a cheap NHS without training anyone, where do we go?
Car cleaning? Nanny?
Windows washed?
Plumbing?
Building work?
Car fixing?
We all want it cheap and then have the gall to moan about it.

The EU is solely about cheap labour, tariffs and all that bollcks are exactly that bollocks, Denmark still trade and so does Iceland, cheap labour.
Cameron has had to finally admit it, that cunt Blair wouldnā€™t never do that so I have to give Cameron some credit at least.
Blair is the most tory leader of any party since Thatcher and Iā€™m not joking.

This was the point I made in my dissertation in 1995.

I used to be hugely optimistic about the EU and believed it would be essential for the UK to help develop it from within.

That was twenty years ago.

Not so much now.

3 Likes

The EU/EEC/Common Market is the trade federation/Galactic Empire in Star Wars.

Nigel Skywalker?

That would have been great in Cloud City

ā€œNige, I am your fatherā€

ā€œFuck off back to Bongo Bongo Land, mouth breather!ā€

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

The EU is solely about cheap labour, tariffs and all that bollcks are exactly that bollocks, Denmark still trade and so does Iceland, cheap labour. Cameron has had to finally admit it, that cunt Blair wouldnā€™t never do that so I have to give Cameron some credit at least. Blair is the most tory leader of any party since Thatcher and Iā€™m not joking.

Just to let you know, Denmark is in the EU. Itā€™s Norway that isnā€™t. :wink:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

The EU is solely about cheap labour, tariffs and all that bollcks are exactly that bollocks, Denmark still trade and so does Iceland, cheap labour. Cameron has had to finally admit it, that cunt Blair wouldnā€™t never do that so I have to give Cameron some credit at least. Blair is the most tory leader of any party since Thatcher and Iā€™m not joking.

Deliberate error from Bazzer mate, leave it. Its the same as he does with JWP

This was the point I made in my dissertation in 1995.

I used to be hugely optimistic about the EU and believed it would be essential for the UK to help develop it from within.

That was twenty years ago.

Not so much now.

What were your personal breaking points, Goatboy? Iā€™m mainly talking about what made you lose faith.

Before I knew too much about how it worked, it was a great thing from my perspective. Funnelled money into the Merseyside region, with the Greater Merseyside Enterprise project being a particularly good idea. The EU gave 50% funding to any business looking to get a website. Loads of businesses got websites. Loads of website businesses got started. Most of both are still there, and it was a bloody good deal for everyone. Then we got the Capital of Culture, again a massive source of funding, and something that has left a lasting legacy. For me, in 2008, the EU was great. A fluffy, benevolent, supra-national entity that looked after a city Westminster didnā€™t give a fuck about. Right? Go EU!

Like you, I am really not so sure now. Iā€™ve bored people enough with my shite. What made you fall off the EUWagon?

Denmark is outside the Euro like us and Iceland is outside of both, both still function, Denmark is very sceptical of the Euro as well as it stands, Norway will never be in as long as it has Gas.

The Capital of Culture was a load of bollocks as well, how many streets in Croxteth or the Dingle did they clean up, only catered for the City Centre, Europe and tourists.
A load of shite.

The EU/EEC/Common Market is the trade federation/Galactic Empire in Star Wars.

Just testing ā€¦ :confused:

Originally posted by @Bucks

Deliberate error from Bazzer mate, leave it. Its the same as he does with JWP

Ha ha, no I think I would know trust me. My point was you can be out and still do business, Denmark like us have their own currency, we can be out and function, theyā€™ll support us as well for independence, they are going that way as well.

I was in favour of closer union IF there was reform of the Commission and Parliament. 20 years ago I could see that there wouldnā€™t be ā€˜buy-inā€™ without a powerful, democratically elected EP. A German dominated EU has blundered on for 20 years, ignoring itā€™s own membership criteria in a blind rush to expand itā€™s sphere of influence without paying attention to the gaping hole of illegitemacy at itā€™s core. I also argued that whilst monetary union was desirable, if it came before rather than after closer political union, it could well flounder. Mystic Goat eh?

I suppose I am still pretty pro-European. Just not terribly pro-EU.

3 Likes

The city centre needed sorting out, and its up there with anywhere in the country now. Completely joined up from docks to Lime Street. I think itā€™s fantastic.

If you were looking for all the change in 2008, then yes, youā€™d have been disappointed. I lived off Edge Lane at the time, which was perhaps the best example of the city trying to do the place up in a slapdash way. Itā€™s the main route into Liverpool from the East, and bits of it looked an absolute show. Some bits still do. In 2008, the council just boarded all the unkempt properties up and put colourful paint on the boards.

That said, a few years later and Edge Lane has really changed. Most of those houses have gone - the road is not the traffic nightmare it used to be, thereā€™s a brand new health centre and most recently, even the retail park will now undergo some serious investment.

Change takes time. They didnā€™t have the time to do everything for 2008, but Iā€™ve seen tons of improvements since.