Cortese on TalkSport at 10:00 (12/09/2017)

Lol, given that Kat had to stump up more when the budget went through the roof I suspect that they meant some of the money was used for Staplewood. He also said that the Ox’s family were playing up (meaning his Dad I assume) so it made it easier to sell him. When asked about van Dijk he intimated that if the player is satisfied with the club’s ambition it is less likely that he will want a move. From that are we supposed to dummies that all of the players that have moved in to bigger clubs would have stayed if he was still here? Hmmm. They did mention his time with us wasn’t without controversy but just laughed it off.

Surprised about the Ox, I thought he was sold because :-

a) His dad was kicking off and
b) Arsenal bid stupid money (at the time) for a largely unproved kid.

Was Nasty Nic really such a huge cunt as he is portrayed by more vocal Saints fans? You see the thing that I always struggle with is that he was he was such close friends with ML, who we all agree was a jolly nice chap… seems an odd couple if Nasty Nic was created by an unholy union of satans bollock juice and a daily mail columnist… and he did use the avaialble cash and loans to good effect during L1 to PL rise… and in the ambitions of Staplewood.

Many argue it was easy with ‘other peoples money’ - butif it wa sthat easy, why are others with cash not all doing it? Sure I think he fell out with KL over the spending plans, but how are we to know whether these plans were part of MLs strategy or not? Is it really such a bad thing to fall out over approach or strategy, if you have different ideas?

The biggest revisionism is the whole issue of whether loans and spending was a good or bad thing… for years during Lowe years we were inundated with the rather vocal ‘spend some fucking money’ and lack of ambition … when we get soem , he is suddenly a cunt for wanting to fund through loans means etc…

I am not looking to defend Nasty Nic, but maybe just consider that there will be plaenty of information or inisght generated that we are simply not aware of… apart from a hefty dose of speculation…

1 Like

It sounds like Cortese would have done a much better job of running the club in the last couple of years.

From a distance…

With no consequences.

And with hindsight.

Is he playing Fantasy Chairman - again?

Yes, he made us some great omlettes back in the day and I’m thankful for his part in our return to the Premier League - BUT he didn’t just break too many eggs, he emptied the fridge, burned down the kitchen and personally bayoneted all the surviving members of the catering staff.

He’s becoming the Tony Blair of football - sometimes it’s best to shut-up and leave quietly Nicola.

6 Likes

Sounds like we got a lot more than that:

Originally posted by SadOldGit

He also said he bought two or three players with the Ox money.

So, thats 2-3 players and Staplewood with the Ox money. Either we got some great deals or the Ox money is a lot more than anyone knew or he’s a fucking bullshitter.

ps - how does one multiquote on here? Is it possible

Rallyboy and Nicky up a tree… :lou_is_a_flirt:

At least Talksport didn’t have to reinforce the chairs to take the weight of his ego. They had already been stress tested by Brazil and Quim

2 Likes

I think Nasty Nic bailed because Kat wanted more transparency about spending and he wasn’t having it. He came across very much in the interview as someone who does it his way or not at all. Markus, being a nice trusting soul, let him get on with it. Kat wanted more surety.

I forgot to mention Pardew. He said he was looking for a manager and Pardew was looking for a club. He said he didn’t have a plan to sell to Pardew at that time so they just sort of got together. When he did finally sort out his plan, it seemed it involved taking a lot of the decisions and responsibilities away from the manager. Although he didn’t say as much, I got the impression that Pardew wasn’t impressed and probably said as much. End of the road for Pardew. So no shagging Fonte’s missus then.

2 Likes

If anyone is interested in sitting through the whole thing (and he was in the studio for an hour), here you go -

https://talksport.com/football/liste…-scouting-trip

At the end of the day I always thought he was a bit of a shifty dick. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Personally I would have said narcissistic twat. He came across as up his own bum and the sycophants in the studio made it worse. Clearly an ambitious man, with other people’s money. He obviously wanted CL football for the club and sold that vision to the players at the time, but CL football doesn’t come cheap and I got the impression that he lost interest when Kat made it clear it would be steady progression rather than full speed ahead.

1 Like

Yep, he’s ballooned in weight and has obviously payed the pelanty for leaving us.

I think he was brilliant for the club and I was gutted that he left. He had fantastic drive and was focused on the goals for the club.

But…?

Cortese needed to sell a player to fund his expansion plans. Ox made a comment in the press that wasn’t sanctioned by the Don and pissed him off. He also said Ox’s family were being difficult so the Don decided that he would sell Ox.

You forgot to add that he “borrowed” someone else’s business plan that he “allegedly found in a draw”

Most of the ideas were a rehash of pre-existing ones ok we got Les instead of SCW… .

Steady progression? How does that work when she’s sold up and we’ve been going backwards for 12-18 months.

Don’t let reality get in the way of your own version of it.

1 Like

From the interview I think it is pretty clear what went on. Kat wanted to get rid as soon as possible but found herself enjoying the ride living off player sales. When she realised that was not going to cut it without dipping into her profits she sold to the highest bidder. Corsesa obviously wanted the club to win something and knew that the investment was not forthcoming so jacked. The Leieber investment is similar to Mike Ashley at Newcastle - as clubs we are in the same boat with similar owners. The only hope is the Chinese want something different, however im not holding my breath.

I reckon that this might be bollocks

10 Likes