šŸš“ šŸ¦¼ Cyclists v Motorists v Pedestrians

I prefer my lyrca and smooth legs.

1. Winter/Bad Weather - Bianchi N7. Athena/Veloce mixed group with Campag hoops.

2. Summer/Racing - Merckx San Remo 76. Full Campag Athena Carbon and Fulcrum Racing Zero hoops.

3. Shity Trails With The Kids- Spec Cross Trail.

Originally posted by @Flahute

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

1. Winter/Bad Weather - Bianchi N7. Athena/Veloce mixed group with Campag hoops.

2. Summer/Racing - Merckx San Remo 76. Full Campag Athena Carbon and Fulcrum Racing Zero hoops. SWEET :lou_lol:

3. Shity Trails With The Kids- Spec Cross Trail.

Originally posted by @BTripz

And to add to @Gay Abandon

7. Cyclists *MUST* use cycle paths when theyā€™re there

Err no the Highway code is quite clear on this :-

Rule 61

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

So the twat that nearly cause me to crash by honking his horn as he was overtaking me and yelling at me to use the Cycle Track was clearly in the wrong, as I pointed out to him when he was stuck in traffic and I was using the other Cycle Track on the other side of the roundabout.

For information the first cycle track is down a shared pavemnet and down a hill and is frequently broken by side roads, therefore it is easier to use the road and as the road is wide enough overtaking me on my bike is not a problem!

I would second this. The cycling infrastructure in the UK is really quite abysmal. I donā€™t cycle a great deal (a 3-mile commuter trip a couple of times a week) but have to contend with all sorts of ridiculous examples. The worst seems to be the council sticking a sign on a footpath to say itā€™s shared but with making no changes whatsoever to the footpath. In some cases, you need a bloody mountainbike to negotiate them, theyā€™re in such poor condition. So, cyclists go on the roads and face the ire and dangers of impatient drivers in their steel cages.

Here is an example of such a sign. The path has had nothing done to it. So what are cyclists supposed to do? Pootle along at walking pace?

More comically poor cycling infrastructure:

6 Likes

Those examples are the work of idiots.

I emailed a councillor recently when they put up a sign that forces cyclists off a flat walkway onto a fast downhill path which is blindly criss-crossed by vacant walkers who carry bags of dog shit to keep their hands warm.

I just asked when the signs restricting pedestrian access would be going up on this cycle path.

He couldnā€™t even get my name correct on his demented reply.

Did he call you Raleighboy?

5 Likes

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

I emailed a councillor recently when they put up a sign that forces cyclists off a flat walkway onto a fast downhill path which is blindly criss-crossed by vacant walkers who carry bags of dog shit to keep their hands warm.

I just asked when the signs restricting pedestrian access would be going up on this cycle path.

:lou_sad: was expecting like , i dont know, fuck loads of vote ups for this oneā€¦as it was clever on at least two levelsā€¦ Raleigh/Rally and the bike company so well fucked off that only you got it Rallyā€¦ shame really that this place is full of morons and virginsā€¦

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

:laughing:

1 Like

Indeed, it works on several levels and deserves wider acclaim - it also confused Bletch who thinks that is my name anyway.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Bathsaint

More comically poor cycling infrastructure:

Noticed this the other day around the corner from me. One of my colleagues cycles into work and I think sheā€™s one the bravest people I know. She got knocked off her bike last year.

did people see this amazing driving?

[Police_investigate__road_rage__attack_on_biker_in_Southampton/](http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/14192996.Police_investigate road_rage attack_on_biker_in_Southampton/)

Police are appealing for witnesses? Surely all they need is on the video?

No one likes a needy Gay.

3 Likes

Some of those photos are just plain insulting, particularly when you compare them to places in Scandinavia. There are entire towns being built around cycling infrastructure, which gets gritted and maintained just like the roads designed for cars.

Huge opportunities being missed. Weā€™re nicely bunched up; making cycling inherently viable. Weā€™re becoming a nation of fat, car-bound, polluting bastards. Thereā€™s clearly huge will from a significant section of the public to get better facilities.

Apparently zero thought applied in some cases. I bet the cheeky bastards managed to secure extra funding or something. Thatā€™s what they did with it.

2 Likes

Youā€™d think so but obviously not

The future? On the beach in Mauritius they had some large cushion chairs and one woman reminded me of the pic below.

2 Likes

Riding out in east Staffordshire today, pair of us riding abreast, lovely wide straight(ish) B road, cars going around us no problem when suddenly we hear a horn blaring behind us. We look behind us & a chaved up Corsa is beeping away etc.

We look at each other, shrug the shoulders and carry on expecting it to go around. It sits there beeping. After 30 seconds or so it pulls out and dishes the usual insults and recieves a tirade of abuse from me. They then attempt a break test which results in my riding partner nipping around them and slowing right down. He also whips out his phone and starts recording. The chavs are going ballistic but cleary arenā€™t stupid enough to actually get out of the car but they keep accelerating right up to his rear wheel and break testing me.

I then nip past them and my partner pops his phone away, slows down to be level with the driver and pulls out his police warrant card and orders them over to the side. They went white. Once they were parked up the excuses started as my partner phoned it in and reported them for reckless driving etc. Squad car was there in 5min flat, amazing how quick they respond when their boss phones. He filled them in, showed them the video etc and the driver was hauled away in the squad car leaving the 2 passengers marooned.

Today has been a good day.

9 Likes

Love it! Good work :lou_lol:

Hmmm, the weather is improving and maybe itā€™s time to do a bit more cycling. Or, if this recent example of cycling infrastructure is anything to go by, maybe notā€¦ Interestingly, this is on a new tramway in Birmingham. Notice the proximity of the tracks for the tram with the edge of the cycle path.

2 Likes