Does the Class System still exist in the U.K.?

I think an element of paranoia is creeping in Barry. I raised the subject because I hadn’t heard the expression working class used for years until recently when it was used in conjunction with the Grenfell disaster and when you used it in relation to Glastonbury. This is not an attempt to bash you or anyone else. Just an attempt to get my head around how people see the wider society nowadays. Anyway, I am glad that we have agreed that the middle classes can go to Glastonbury now as they incorporate the working class. We just need to work on the ageist thing now :lou_wink:

1 Like

It’ll always exist as long as there is an apex.

The monarchy is that apex, institutionalised and ostensibly unchallengeable.

Good, we are making progress. So it isn’t just about the job. So coal miners in the 70s wouldn’t necessarily be working class then?

I don’t see the monarchy strangely as the apex, I see the Etonian civil servants and the madarins in Whitehall as the enemy of the people, why?

Because the monarchy is now symbolic and powerless, puppets for tourists.
Follow the bloodlines back the to Normans, they’re still ruling us now.

What are you blathering on about?
My eyes are bleeding with the shite you write, that is a class system, you seem to disagree like always but we have to move on.

A liberal saying the class system doesn’t exist, Jesus wept.

I didnt say it doesnt exist, I asked the question. I also said I think it has changed and isnt as we used to think of it. Even you say that the middle and working classes have merged!. Jesus wept. You must have been a nightmare at school (did you go to school?).

Anyway, here is a dictionary definition of working class - A social group that consists of people who earn little money, often being paid only for the hours or days that they work and who usually do physical work.

And moving on, I have just done a BBC survey from 2013 relating to the new demographics. Apparently they teamed up with a group of sociologists from several leading universities and came up with a new breakdown featuting seven catagories - Elite, Established Middle Class, Technical Middle Class, New Affluent Workers (me, lol), Traditional Working Class, Emergent Service Workers and Precariat.

The survey itself was rather perfunctuary and could have gone into more depth. The more classes the more you need to delve to determine where one fits in. Still, interesting to see that the sociologists still think there is a definate class structure. I would have thought it would have been less well defined after Elite.

It also doesn’t have a group for Glastonbury attendees! Pah.

I’m not getting this. If the monarchy are still ruling us, shouldnt they be at the apex?

We elect a Government to rule us, the Royals don’t they’re symbolic, didn’t you learn about the reformation and the separation of Church and state?

Get a (PM) room, ffs.

I’ll make it very very simple for you, I could have a million pounds and I would still feel and be working class, that wouldn’t change.

Is Wayne Rooney upper class? No he is moneyed, and money can’t buy you class.

You are hard work and a bit simple, did a sandal fall off the yurt and belt you on the head?

If your family had a million pounds when you were born and you were brought up as a family of millionaires, would you still feel and be working class? Were some miners in the 70s middle or upper class?

My word, one is already doing ones bit to break down class barriers through mixing with you lot on here. Salt of the earth every man jack one of you! What else can a chap reasonably do?eh what?!

:lou_wink_2:

(irony Baz)

1 Like

I think you’re confusing money with class.
Go and have a read and come back to me in 2133.

I personally don’t agree with any of your points.

Unless a shitload of people in the succession kick the bucket, most of those old Etonians will never get to be head of state, nor will the civil servants.

The monarchy are the living embodiment of “it is the way it is”, unmovable and the absolute apex of the class system. The Rothschilds might have more international clout. They still don’t get to be heads of state without marrying in.

I also think you’re naive if you believe the monarchy’s power amounts to mere symbolism. There are documented accounts on Royals trying to influence policy, no bill passes without the monarch’s assent and our Armed Forces don’t swear an oath to Tony Blair or whatever. They swear an oath to the Queen, and take her shilling.

1 Like

Swearing an oath to the queen has to be better that swearing an oath to Blair. Surely.

1 Like

To serve us Bazza, not rule us.

1 Like

You’re naive son if you think swearing an oath makes you a monarchist. When have the Royal’s never passed assent? They are movable by revolution, the people don’t want that so I find that decidedly democratic.

Serve over rule is a polite term after the reformation, I used the term purposely.

And Pap please let us know when a Royal has tried to influence policy?

I’ve googled “Prince Charles tries to influence parliament” and found several articles over the years. I could link the links but try a bit of research yourself. Its not just him either.