Elite firms 'exclude bright working class'

Don’t diss Matt Targett…I won’t have it Fatso.

Or Djurucic. Or Mane.

I do blame Elia. He let me down.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

And, oh my God, the amount of people who do fake working class accents in the advertising industry…how they can look at themselves in the mirror each morning, I don’t know.

Like pretending you are from Coxford, when it was, in all probability, Rownhams.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

And, oh my God, the amount of people who do fake working class accents in the advertising industry…how they can look at themselves in the mirror each morning, I don’t know.

Like pretending you are from Coxford, when it was, in all probability, Rownhams.

Cheeky bugger :slight_smile: I gave over 20 years of my life to Olive Road. Just cos I don’t talk all fancy like Pap!

I didn’t even realise Coxford was a place until I saw Lou’s posts.

You haven’t been missing out.

Originally posted by @The-Kraken

I didn’t even realise Coxford was a place until I saw Lou’s posts.

You haven’t been missing out.

" Coxford is an Electoral Ward in the Unitary Authority of Southampton, England. It had a population of 14,232 at the 2001 census."

I’ve lived in and around Southampton most of my life, I’m genuinely distressed I’ve been unaware of this place all that time.

1 Like

Your not alone, for some reason I thought Coxford was in Surrey.

I’d never heard of it - turns out I was born there (Soton General)

1 Like

Christ, that’s even worse, so was I!

1 Like

Originally posted by @The-Kraken

Originally posted by @SO5-4BW

I’d never heard of it - turns out I was born there (Soton General)

Christ, that’s even worse, so was I!

Heh. Isn’t the General Hospital, Aldermoor?

Come off it, going to Oxford or Cambridge isn’t a big deal. 7 kids in my year went from a Comprehensive, two of them my best mates. Working class.

That is not challenging the status quo, it happens all the time.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @Fatso

Yes, it is life. We live in a world of huge inequality, both of wealth and opportunity. That doesn’t mean that it has to stay that way. This is where we need new member Revoultion Saint to kick in. I shall follow him if he leads me to the promised land.

There is a theory that says that the elite of each country work together to maintain their power at the expense of the masses. It’s not a rich world vs poor world pattern of exploitation that many imagine, but that even within the poorest countries there is an elite that work alongside the elite families in the west to manipulate the working class to keep them in a position of subordination. We are unable to break these constraints placed upon us because we are never part of the discussion or even aware that it is taking place most of the time.

Well given Papster from the Flower Roads has got his daughters applying for Oxbridge, I think there’s reason to believe the status quo can be changed. Just takes people to stand up and say it’s wrong, rather be than passively fatalist. Doesn’t need a revolution to do it, just a few generations.

Hope you don’t mind me using you as an example, Pap.

Come off it, going to Oxford or Cambridge isn’t a big deal. 7 kids in my year went from a Comprehensive, two of them my best mates. Working class. That is not challenging the status quo, it happens all the time.

“Best mates”? What are you? A cunt or something?

2 Likes

???

1 Like

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Come off it, going to Oxford or Cambridge isn’t a big deal. 7 kids in my year went from a Comprehensive, two of them my best mates. Working class. That is not challenging the status quo, it happens all the time.

I’d disagree - generally it is a big deal (although to an extent depends upon the course) I’d be interested to know which school you went to if you consider 7 ‘working class’ students from the same year group at a comprehensive to not be a big deal.

1 Like

Noadswood, class of 2000. That’s not to mention the numerous others who went to Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Kings etc.

It was very similar in my sisters year which was 3 years younger.

As defined above, ‘working class’ is anyone who would have to work for a living, which everyone at my school would have.

I guess it also was less of a big deal as the school had no sixth form so we all went to Brock college, so it was intake from there.

Edit: Actually thinking about it, it was 5 from Noadswood, but 7 from Brock (the other two went to a Priestlands in Lymington).

As mentioned by someone above of the Noadswood 5, 3 did Maths, 1 got in for being good at rowing and not sure what the other did, although I think it was theology or something along those lines.

1 Like

As an aside, I think pushing students to do Maths GCSE in year 10 and then doing Additional Maths GCSE in year 11 is a massive advantage, and should be pushed by all schools.

1 Like

It doesn’t happen all the time. If all schools produced 7 students for Oxbridge then explain why…

“One in 20 students from private school went on to study at Oxford or Cambridge University in 2011, as against one in 100 from state school, statistics show” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-28036571

“But despite all the excited talk, the actual admission figures tell a sobering story. Though only 7% of British children overall attend fee-paying schools, and 15% at sixth form, they make up 39% of Cambridge undergraduates. Figures reported this month show that an increase in admissions from state schools has gone into reverse this year with a drop of nearly two percentage points. At Oxford the figures are even starker: 43.2% are privately educated.” http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/may/27/oxbridge-state-school-numbers-falling

Here is a table for you to look at. It shows the % of admissions from state schools

LOWEST STATE SCHOOL INTAKE
The University of Oxford 57.4%
The University of St Andrews 58.9%
The University of Bristol 59.4%
The University of Cambridge 63%
University of Durham 63.4%
Imperial College London 64.7%
University College London 65.7%
The University of Edinburgh 67.3%

You may think that just over half the admissions to Oxford being from state schools is fine, but what % of students are educated privately? It’s about 7%. You don’t need a degree from Oxford to work out that’s unfair and elitist and that working class people do not go to Oxbridge as a matter of course as you are trying to suggest.

While we are at it, this definition of working class as “anyone who needs to work” is bullshit.

And then, once the elitism at the Oxbridge level finishes, it continues into working life as a recent government report suggested…

why are 71% of judges privately educated? Would you consider the 29% appointed who are from a state education background to be “happening all the time” like you consider working class kids going to Oxbridge to be something that happens all the time?

basically, you’re wrong about everything and I am now classifying you as the Sotonians version of Hypo.

1 Like

I would also argue that private schools produce a hell of a lot more 15 A* students than state school though? You’re proposing that students that go to private school and comp school are equal intellectually, which they’re not, whether down to upbringing or teaching.

What do YOU class as ‘working class’ then. I asked earlier and that was the only response I got, from Pap.

Also, why the insults? Just debate the point without the childish slurs please.

1 Like

I’ll debate how I wish, dickwad

1 Like

Originally posted by @Fatso

I’ll debate how I wish, dickwad

You going to answer my points? It seems you’re one of those people that does a quick search on The Guardian website, steals their points, then regurgitates what they tell you to think, without having a thought of your own. For shame.

1 Like