Fantasy Football

Fuck sake, I quit…

2 Likes

Sorry Big Angry Bob, I should have made it clear that it’s a sprint, not a marathon.

Originally posted by @Big-Tantrum-Bob

Fuck sake, I quit…

Sorry Big Tantrum Bob, but I can’t accept your resignation.

OK, well despite me winning the entire competition at midday last Sunday, I’m happy to instigate a minor prize for, say, the team that finishes top of the league after the actual end of the football season.

These are troubling times at Papular United. Sitting bottom of the league, rumours of financial trouble are doing the rounds after it was revealed that a Cech bounced a couple of times over the weekend.

3 Likes

Is it too late to join?

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

Is it too late to join?

In general, no.

For you, Toke, yes I’m afraid so.

Originally posted by @saintbletch

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Right see you all next week.

Good man.

To all - as Sfcsim has done, you can join at any time.

The game lets you compare yourself against the rest of the league on a weekly/monthly basis, as well as the overall victory.

I never thought I’d hear myself say this but, Bletch…I’m in!

1 Like

So you are, Toke.

Well from next week anyway…

As the kind-hearted altruist I’m not, but my Lama wants me to be, I feel I should offer a little FF advice.

As the gameweek draws to a close I’d like to remind those new to the game that you have to think about both your points total AND the value of the team.

The value change in this particular game is what makes it interesting to me. You have to balance both form and value, and if you don’t increase the value of your squad as the season progresses, then you will not be able to buy the better players towards the end of the season.

Players’ values will go up and down as they are bought and sold by other managers in the game. There is no hard and fast (or at least readily understandable) rule for when players change value, and the game does not tell you when a change is imminent. So you have to predict and make transfers before the change happens.

Each time a player changes value it will be by £0.1M. A player can change by a maximum of £0.3M in a gameweek (although I can’t remember ever seeing that magnitude of change).

When you come to sell a player, you are only able to keep 1/2 of the profit you have made on the transaction (or you crystallise half your loss).

So if you bought a player for £5.0M and sold him some weeks later for £5.5M, you have increased your original team budget from £100M to £100.2 (you lose the odd £0.1 when the £0.5M profit is halved).

To trade players for form and value, you can make one free transfer each week. If you don’t use a free transfer during a specific week, you will be able to make two free transfers during the next week. Tthe maximum free transfers you can amass is 2.

You can, in fact, make any number of transfers during a gameweek, but each one above the free transfers you’ve amassed will cost you 4 points.

If you’ve got things hopelessly wrong, or you just want to make a large number of transfers, then the game allows you to make two wildcard transfers.

The first wildcard is available before January (i.e. now), and the second becomes available post-January. Playing your wildcard during a given gameweek allows you to make unlimited free transfers. That’s free as in they won’t cost you 4 points.

Good luck.

Is there a prize for the winner Bletch? I’m not sure all the work is worth it if there isn’t. (And a booby prize for the loser).

2 Likes

This is a lot more complicated than the Telegraph Fantasy Football, Bletch.

I’m not sure I’ve got my head around the squad system - do my players have to be in the starting eleven to score me points? I know I should be looking this up myself but seeing as you’re in kind-hearted altruist mode …

Kudos, Lou.

Not even a badge?

2 Likes

Are you putting a team in, Lou?

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Are you putting a team in, Lou?

Thinking about it… I’d want to win! (But winning takes so much effort).

Calling Phillipinesaint to the Fantasy Football thread

2 Likes

I seem to remember if a player is injured then a player for the bench is automatically subbed in, however if they are on the bench the points they score don’t count towards your team.

For example, yesterday I had Kompany on the bench and he scored 14 points of which I get absolutely NONE, FUCK ALL, NADA. Instead I had Nasri in the midfield and he scored 1 FUCKING SOLE POINT, 1 POINT.

I hate this game.

2 Likes

As the season goes on, it generally becomes evident who the best-scoring players are likely to be for the season. Thus managers end up with broadly similar squads. The scoring differential can start coming down to small decisions such as choosing the correct captain and looking a few matches along the fixture list (a bit chess-like).

Also you get two ‘wildcards’ a season, which allow you to completely change your squad without any points penalties for transfers above what you’ve accrued. There’s a lot of tactics involved in choosing the optimum time to use them (although there’s been a rule change this season I believe, meaning one of them must be used before the end of 2015 or lost forever).

The three new ‘chips’ (All Out Attack, Triple Captain and Bench Boost) are interesting too. Deploy those at the right time and you could earn up to 20-50 extra points for each, which is huge.

Last but not least, a good run in the Europa could make Saints a gold mine for points later on in the season, but I won’t give away how…

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Not even a badge?

That’s a good point, Lou.

I’ll have a word with His papship.

All the incentive you should need is right here…

That’s the fantasy league from the other place, and they are wiping our arses, sorry whipping our arses!

Pull your finger our, Lou*.

* - It’s OK the double entendre police have been called.

2 Likes

Well this is…

Umm…

What’s the word?

Pleasing? No. *

Deserved? No. *

Expected? No. *

Embarrassing. That’s it.

Well, this is embarrassing.

I feel compelled to post this because I believe you all deserve an update on the first gameweek, but you should know that I take no pleasure from this **.

* Bletch proving beyond all doubt that he sings when he’s winning.

** Except for the position of Big Toys-Out-The-Pram Bob, that is.