FC Midtjylland vs Southampton FC (buildup/match/tears/recriminations)

Sounds like I’m glad I missed that

Been away for a few days, what is the story with Big Vic? Did he not even travel?

Sorry Barry, that’s not quite what I was saying. I was referring to this:

“…I couldn’t go until Sept and we with all our investment and expensive shing academy couldn’t beat this lot, fucking embarrassing.”

He had a sick note from the doctor…a touch of the shits…just like the rest of the team. :slight_frown:

1 Like

As always, a quick glance at the meltdown on the other site, and my world finds it’s natural balance.

Thanks! asswipes!!

I think I may have a point.

I cannot seem to put my finger on it. We seem to have lost our swagger! We took a team that finished 5th in the Dutch league and wiped the floor with them. We looked pretty dam good. We started well at Newcastle and let it slip a little, but not much to worry about. The Everton game seemed to be the sucker punch and knock the stuffing out of us massively, so much so we start building from the back. This is worrying for me as managers down in a dog fight say this!

We need a win and need it this week end, or when we start again after the international break. No panic here, but a little disappointed. It could be a blessing in disguise, but we will never really know!

COYR!

Stek: A good buy. Has looked totally comfortable since arriving.

Targett: thought he did ok last night but isn’t anywhere near the quality of Bertrand.

Fonte: had a stinker last night and his form so far this season hasn’t been great. Will look much more comfortable with a ball playing CB next to him, stepping forward to win the ball.

Yoshida: I thought he had a good season last year and usually can be relied on to ‘do a job’ but he struggled with his positioning and distribution last night.

Caulker: I’m not sure that we or he knows what his role is yet. Jury is out.

Martina: gave away too many fouls but I thought the ref was harsh on him in the first half last night. I think he will turn out to be a more useful squad addition than most people think. Tidy if uninspiring with the ball.

Davis and JWP: If they had a child together we may have a useful player on our hands. Shouldn’t be in the same team together imho.

Romeu: promising. Breaks up the play well and is tenacious. Will look better with Clasie along side him. Many times last night he just needed someone to lay off a 5 yard pass to as his range of passing isn’t great. This should have been JWP last night but his positioning was terrible.

Pelle: poor service but did ok. Defended set pieces well.

Rodriguez: A couple more games under his belt and I think JRod will kick on. Some good runs last night but from too deep because:

We were crying out for a proper no.10.

Should have played Tadic or Juanmi from the start.

Overall, a very disappointing result. But not embarrassing or shameful so fuck off Barry. Too many players out, poor shape, a lack of confidence and things simply not ‘clicking’.

Ho-hum. Let’s whip Norwich on Sunday and get stuck in to the season.

COYS!

2 Likes

Sorry, but I’ve got my ‘perspective’ head on.

Last season we were great, this season (thus far) we have been shite. Shall we examine what’s different?

Two departures, one expired loan and FOUR injuries; all from the starting XI. How on earth can you expect us to play at the same level when 2/3 of the team is gone or missing? If anybody can explain to me how you’d have kept Schneiderlin, or prevented our injuries/illnesses, I’m willing to concede on this point.

Adam Blackmore’s just gone on a Twitter rant about over-reactions and has some bloody good points to make. Koeman, Reed et al (the same men praised to high heaven last season) didn’t become awful at their jobs overnight. The biggest problem they’re faced with is that everything slotted into place last season - and very early on. Expectations were raised and fans are expecting something similar. It was an unprecedented result that was never going to be repeatable annually.

So to my mind the answer is this: give them some time. Rebuilds traditionally do take time. Judging this season on the last is a fallacy. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater will set us back far farther than persisting. Southampton FC is a small provincial team and until we achieve consistently solid league finishes we will always be a selling club.

Yes, we are currently a shadow of our former selves - but we have Forster, Bertrand, Wanyama, Clasie and Mané to return (plus one more CB signing). They won’t make us top-4 botherers again but they will steady the ship so that we can consolidate with a mid-table finish.

Of course, with all of this said, playing three CBs away from home and executing tactics rarely seen from an English top flight team since the 90s (or Stoke c. 2013) doesn’t help. We will need to be more savvy in future. It was an absolutely shite performance and I couldn’t be more gutted this morning. However, some of the kneejerk reactions I’ve seen are nothing short of hilarious.

4 Likes

Good post ant.

My wife asked why, when we have lots of money from TV and the sale of two of our best players, we can’t buy top flight players.

I explained to her the limitations of FFP, the Saint’s wage structure because of it and was accused of giving her an unwanted lecture. My request not to shoot the messenger didn’t go down well and she went off on one.

This is why I rarely posted in the football forums in the other place…and why this will be my last input on this thread…I want to return to life in the slow lane. :wink:

3 Likes

FFP is NOT an issue this year. Platini had to back down due to complaints from EU based sides without our TV riches (where even Saints will earn more than PSG this year)

Why on earth people still bring that up - how the hell does everyone imagine Manure can bid for Neymar/Bale etc or how Citeh who were fined a year ago suddenly can spend 100’s of millions this summer?

FFP is frozen, it is gone. It is now just an Operational Template, OR it is applicable ONLY to Football League Clubs - who, like QPR get no sanctions anyway when they breach them.

We CHOSE not to over spend this summer. THIS summer was t he one year where this gap existed and we COULD have done it.

We took the money out.

1 Like

I did know about FFP but I mentioned it because I didn’t want to prolong a conversation I knew could only end badly as she was already in a bad mood. I think you’ll understand that. :confused:

Yay Saturday matches again… After this weekend!

Just just trying to put a positive light on things!

Actually for us a REALLY good thing. Once we get past Summer Vacation time we usually get our “family” of between 10 & 20 Saints fans watching the games together in the pub. May not seem much to you lot but it is a great feeling of fellowship.

The issue we had is that Sunday is a working day here so a Noon KO meant a 3 (or when clocks go back 4pm) KO time on a work afternoon)’

Which means nobody can get there!

So yeah an upside.

Downside I needed one more EU trip for my annual airmiles stauts Goddammit now I have to find a reason to travel for work!

1 Like

Our UEFA slayers are presently playing Man Utd.

United lost De Gea in the warm up. Could be interesting.

Its 1-1 at half time and Midgetland have had chances to be infront.

2-1 to Midgetland.

Much like drawing with Leicester at home, going out to this lot isn’t looking quite so silly now, is it?

4 Likes

Has LVG resigned yet?

Originally posted by @PhilippineSaint

Has LVG resigned yet?

He is a dead man walking.

1 Like