📽 Films I have seen

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Originally posted by @Furball

Never apologise Lou. Forum rule.

Always apologise. Life rule. :wink:

I find that the occasional bit of humility keeps the total cock at bay. This is probably a good thing which has facilitated me making it to the grand old age of 40.

This is actually one of the reasons do not like the cinema, adverts and trailers. Not so bad when I am going with the wife, but when you have 3 kids in tow! You can just about get them through a 90 minute film with popcorn and other sweets, but add in half hour before the film starts with adverts trailers and an animated short film and you are running into boredom problems, 3 quarters of the way through the film!

I went to see a comedy a while back and in the space of 3/4 minutes there were 2 adverts about cancer, 1 about waterways and dangers and one about drink driving!

I should have said life strategy. It isn’t about being a good person. Apologising first puts you in a position of strength - its a tactic :wink:

Sorry. That’s cheating.

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @Furball

Never apologise Lou. Forum rule.

Always apologise. Life rule. :wink:

I find that the occasional bit of humility keeps the total cock at bay. This is probably a good thing which has facilitated me making it to the grand old age of 40.

I should have said life strategy. It isn’t about being a good person. Apologising first puts you in a position of strength - its a tactic :wink:

Sorry. That’s cheating.

Aint cheating! It’s picking your fights, it’s losing the battle but winning the war, it’s the English way, it’s self preservation! Always apologise first, unless it’s really important, then stand yer ground. Gets me through many a work debate that’s for sure…

You apologise if it’s your fault. I have worked with people that could not do it, and they were a professional nightmare. Some would describe computer programs as temperamental, others simply couldn’t second guess themselves and others were so utterly wedded to a specific way of doing stuff that they couldn’t take on alternative idea.

I’m the complete opposite. First question I ask myself is whether what has been reported is accurate. If it is, the very next question is “how might I have fucked up?”. I don’t think it’s an occupational hazard, because like I said, I know plenty that can’t, and a lot of money they have cost the businesses I have worked for.

However, people will give you a lot more time if you’re an honest fuckup than a blame-shifting blagger. I have seen people fired over the latter.

Hence my apology before calling you a cheat :wink:

Ha, good one, and over my head :wink: Goatboy wins!

PS. I ate some Goat when I was it Crete - it was tasty!

:laughing:

Oh completely. I’ve learned to get less annoyed with people who can’t just put their hands up and apologise, and it’s the first thing I encourage in anyone working for me. My teams are always honest bunches :slight_smile:

2 Likes

PS. I ate some Goat when I was it Crete - it was tasty!

Euphemism bingo…House!

3 Likes

Tks for all these gr8 film recommendations guise

Terminator Genisys is not a recommendation, Bear. Unless, of course, you really hate Terminator and want to see how a film can somehow mix loads of elements from previous films, and somehow come up with less than the sum of those parts.

Are you adding them to your internet thievery list?

This evenings TV was Deadliest Catch latest series (always epic) and a couple of movies.

The Equaliser.

OK so this was my second watching. TBH the first time was slightly spoilt. Why? well simple really, being an old fart I spent the 1st 30 minutes trying to compare it with Edward Woodward. That was a serious mistake.

Simply put Denzil Washington plays a guy who works in Homebase & can’t sleep. So straight away I got all "THIS ISN’T EDWARD!

Second time around I took the fllm to be what it was, a ripping action thriller that pays some homage to Ed. Denzil is perfect in the movie, the story grows well and TBH the "Big Shoot Out in Homebase (or whatever) is awesome and original. It has some plot holes but nothing as major as something like Strikeback.

Watch it as it is, a damned good shoot 'em up movie and then give thanks to the idea that came from the TV show rather than trying to compare it.

Fury

First showing tonight. Gritty war movie with gruesome moments, yet in some small way everyone who watches it knows that once they are attacked by the Tiger Tank they have to give it one up the ass, so kudos for paying some homage to Kelly’s Heroes there.

This is a GOOD FILM. Brad Pitt plays the fucked up seen too much Sergeant very well, but the ending kinda kept pulling me back to another “war” movie where somebody says "The Expenditure of Ammunition:

A great watch with a couple of beers but your other half may find some of the action a bit too gruesome OR even worse you may get the "What war was this? Why are they using Laser Cannons? line

Find these two on a rainy Saturday night with a 4 pack of 6X or your fav tipple & you’ll have had a good evening at home

Sometimes you get a sharp reminder of the power and the danger of cinema. I went to a screening last night of a film called The President. It was directed by exiled Iranian Mohsen Makhmalbaf (best known for making the disturbingly brilliant Kandahar, just months before 9/11).

The film itself began in a blaze of light – literally. A car pov through the streets of a nameless capital of a ruthless dictatorship (actually Tbilisi), all shot at night with overhanging streetlights so dense the scene looked like a journey through a tunnel of candyfloss. What follows, after a beautifully cinematic scene with the dictator and his grandson, is the accelerated collapse of his regime into bloody chaos.

The clever conceit of the film is that the dictator and his grandson then have to flee through the rubble of his own country, so that he becomes a terrified witness to the destruction and misery he’s imposed over the years. It ends in a way that echoes the fate of certain dictators recently in the Middle East.

Makhmalbaf himself is an interesting character. He left school at the age of eight and taught himself film – and did the same with his own children, who all left at the same age and have been home-taught by him just to be filmmakers.

Makhmalbaf was a member of a militant group opposed to the Shah, and shortly before the Ayatollahs took over in 1979 he stabbed a policeman and was sentenced to death. (He was freed in the immediate aftermath of the revolutiion.) In the film Kandahar, in an act of reconciliation, he hired as a lead actor someone who’d murdered a dissident at the Ayatollahs’ behest.

Unsurprisingly, Makhmalbaf’s life since has been one of exile – first in Afhghanistan, where his film sets were blown up by Iranian secret police and a crew member killed, then in Paris where constant death threats meant he needed 24-hour bodyguards, and finally in London.

At the screening itself, after a few softball questions, someone grabbed the mic and began loudly denouncing him. It quickly became clear that those responsible were there in some “official” capacity, presumably at the behest of the Iranian regime. Given the threats and attacks he’s been subject to in the past, and that my wife and I were sat just along from these lunatics, it was a distinctly uncomfortable experience.

But it all goes to reinforce, outside the Hollywood bubble, how deeply subversive and challenging cinema can be. Thank goodness.

Do see the film/movie/picture if you can. It’s terrific.

3 Likes

This is an old one which almost everyone has seen. Retreated with cat to the mancave last night to watch the Hunt For Red October. I have read most of Clancy’s books (at least the ones he wrote entirely by himself). Red October is a good, competent, if incomplete adaptation. But then, you all knew that.

One thing I’d forgotten is that the movie was directed by John McTiernan, who also directed the first Die Hard movie. As I was watching, it dawned on me that those movies are in fact, very similar. Strip away the garnish, such as the embassy meetings and/or twinkie-obsessed cops that can’t fire a gun, both films are about a group of people taking something over. Just that in one film, the focus is on the guy trying to stop him, and in the other, sympathies lie with the people doing the takeover.

Under Siege is an even better fit. In that movie, a super-skilled chef tries to stop the takeover of a vessel and succeeds. In Red October, the Soviet super-skilled chef tries the same thing and fails.

Blimey, Furball, that sounds an intense experience. Only in London.

Will check that film out - sounds fascinating. Thanks.

Well, the Cricket was shit today. The KLM Open Golf didn’t go to a play off and finished early as well.

Mrs D_P wasn’t due home from work (late shift) until 9pm so I had time to kill. So I surfed the Movie channels.

Look. I am someone who only watches Action or Sci Fi movies, yeah I saw Shawshank & it was insanely good but then so was the last Riddick movie…

I also kind of find James Corbyn annoyning. He is funny in some of the innerweb clips of Car Pool Karaoke now he is famous, and he was very good in Begin Again ( a good film about a talented singer songwriter)

But he annoys me and I HATE Opera.

Which is why I found myself with no choice but to watch James in a movie about an Opera singer.

One Chance.

I watched it and instantly recorded the + 2 hours version for when Mrs D_P came home

Because we do not have BGT (we have the real version - American Idol) all I know about the show is the occassional clips of “This person walked on stage in front of Simon Cowell & you won’t believe what happened next”.

But I remember a BGT winner singing at Wembley and thinking holy shit Batman.

Anyway. I watched the movie on my own. When Mrs D_P came home I said watch this and here is a box of tissues because you will BALL YOUR EYES OUT.

I won. She did. But tbh so did i. You know the story much better than we did but OMG what a great story and such a well put together film.

I hate Opera. But this is now up there in my FAV FILM list

1 Like