šŸ“½ Films I have seen

Rewatched The Master and There Will Be Blood, PT Anderson is a pretty unique filmaker in a world of Marvel movies and lazy remakes.

3 Likes

Movies With Twists In That You Donā€™t See Coming But Then You Go Oh Yeah How Did I Not See That Coming All The Clues Was Right There!

I like these type of situations! Watch this movie + tell me if you saw the twist coming! I want to find out if Iā€™m Dumbass cos I never see the twists coming!

Edit: Soz this movie is a bit Topical RIP Oregun bros

With all the fuss about the Martian, dont miss the lower profile, but (it seems) seriously excellent Sicario. Same director as Prisoners, it follows an FBI secondee (Emily Blunt) into a task force fighting the drug trafficking across the border from Mexico. Has universally brilliant reviews everywhere I have seen. Violent, tense and chilling, showing how law enforcers resort to the same brutality as employed by those they fight.

Sicariohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

1 Like

Sicario looks great. Will try and see it on Sunday.

New Coen Bros trailer ā€¦ Has arrived, with the usual cast and shot by Roger Deakins :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just watched the end of the disappearance of Alice Creed. I was only watching it as it was on at the weekend and then really wanted to know where it was going. Really good.

Watched Lavender Hill Mob for the the first time this weekend. Just good. Still on iPlayer if you missed it.

I watched Les Miserables today whilst recuperating. two and ahald odd hours wasted there. I donā€™t mind a musical but that was a step too far.

mmmmm Gemma Arterton.

1 Like

Seen the stage production 5 times now, breathtaking. The film, no not as good.

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Just watched the end of the disappearance of Alice Creed. I was only watching it as it was on at the weekend and then really wanted to know where it was going. Really good.

mmmmm Gemma Arterton.

I saw a bit of the film and thought it wasnā€™t very good but could understand it wasnā€™t maybe for me and maybe a bit more for the boys.

I saw The Marsman. I saw it at the cinema. It was Quite Good. It had Matt Damon in it. In the film, Matt Damon makes a potato out of poo, and then eats it.

I took my Mum with me. She liked it too. She thought it was Quite Good film.

did you take your mum or did your mum take you? A treat for being good? Did you get any popcorn or pic n mix?

i paid for tickets & i drove so I feel like i took my Mum, but then my Mum said sheā€™d buy the popcorn etc, but she was completely taken in cos I had pic+mix and I had jazzies, and snowies, and white mice, and foam teeth, and bananas, and foam mushrooms, and cherry lips, and cola bottles, and shrimps, and jelly snakes, and flying saucers + everything, and it cost her just shy of a grand, even without my Drink.

8 Likes

It started slow and I was only half interested, then when the 2 kidnappers started snogging, I though hey, this is a strange twist. There were a few twists in it. Was not amazing, but a good watch.

Just watched Cross of Iron again. Itā€™s Sam Peckinpahā€™s take on the Eastern Front. A lot of contemporary critics didnā€™t like his perceived overuse of battle scenes. In 2015, itā€™s a choice that looks a decent one, especially given the nature of the conflict in question, especially at that stage.

Itā€™d be unfair to say that the war is just a backdrop for character drama, just as it would be unfair to say that this is just a war film. There are huge human motivations at play, the central conflict being between a newly arrived Prussian officer, a member of the aristocracy desperate to get the Iron Cross, and Steiner, a legendary Corporal from lowly stock, already decorated with the honour.

There arenā€™t enough films about the Eastern Front, and while this by no means conveys the true horror of the Ostfront, especially what was done to the Soviets, but it capture some of the insanity. James Coburn is magnificent as Steiner, a grizzled old grunt that isnā€™t on board with the Nazi program, but is actually very effective in war. Perhaps heā€™s just trying to protect his platoon, but the film gives you a sense that deep down, he canā€™t live without it.

Excellent movie, which due to the noise it got derided for back in the day, stands up admirably in the present.

2 Likes

Sam Peckinpah was way ahead of his time. Heā€™s hugely influential on many ā€œmodern directorsā€ . Tarantino especially.

3 Likes

Local people are annoyed by Dustin Hoffman and tell him to get off their land

Originally posted by @TedMaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXkqGVfm1mo

Local people are annoyed by Dustin Hoffman and tell him to get off their land

I bet thatā€™s a pain in the arse for his wife.