📽 Films I have seen

I watched the film without knowing anything about it, which I is probably the first time I have ever really done that and it’s a great way of watching a film. When I watched the first half (with the Mrs, who fell asleep and didn’t watch the second half (although that is more a comment on her than the film)) I felt quite excited about a tension that you can sense building. The problem I had is that the pay off for that slow build wasn’t enough. I found the second half of the film, where the story is really revealed, to be a little disappointing. I was expecting more of a twist than that…particulalrly after investing 90mins in the build up. Like I say, I think it’s a good film, just not a great film.

Originally posted by @Fatso

Watched the first half of the Hateful Eight last week and finished the other half last night. It’s good. That’s about it really. I enjoyed it, it’s a little long, it’s not brilliant, it’s just good. That’s twice I’ve now mentioned the length of films on this thread…I’m not some simpleton, child or weak bladdered person (well, two out of those three may be true) and I don’t mind a long film if it is justified…I reckon that this kne could have been a l

It’s completely self indulgent, The Weinstein Bros owe their success of Resevoir Dogs and Tarantino. They let him do want he wants. His movies are a singular vision, just of a Californian film geek who keeps remaking his fave genre movies

I can see it working on stage but it didn’t quite pull it off on the small screen for me

The Revenant.

Wow, what a gross movie that is. But such a dry classic performance by the leading actor.

And, I have to admit, there are sections of it which despite the gross-ness are actually Comedy Classic moments of almost Cult Epic proportions.

The choice of grainy almost sepia tinged film helps add to the atmosphere as well. For me the recurring early morning Fireman’s lift joke was a snorker.

But tbh the Subway Station and the entire Iran thing just took it to another level.

Not one to watch while eating a TV Dinner that is for sure, but well worth the effort.

Oh ffs NO, not the bloody “Give me an Oscar my Career Deserves it” Di Caprio thing, I mean the REAL Revenant, the 2009 Gross out Buddy, Zombie, Vampire movie.

Watched It Follows last night.

It’s a low budget horror movie, largely jettisoning the jump scare approach in favour of slow, brooding dread. I won’t spoil much, but the main source of horror, “It”, is a supernatural force appearing in various human forms which (drum roll)…

…walks slowly toward its victim. A violent death awaits anyone stupid to hang around.

Sounds crap, but it’s a pretty cool mechanic. Those it targets can drive away in a car pretty easily, but “It” always knows where they are, and will continue the slow, plodding pursuit.

I’ve kept things vague to avoid spoiling too much, but there’s plenty I like about the film that I can talk about. The canvas of post-industrial Michigan is visually interesting in an age of shiny special effects. If you’re expecting buckets of gore, expect to be disappointed; much of the tension comes from the soundtrack, situation or the camera angles chosen for the shot.

While watching, kept thinking to myself that this was a really impressive film for the budget ($2m), or a love letter to 80s classics like Hallowe’en, but that does it a disservice. It’s an impressive movie full stop. My one potential problem with it doesn’t detract from that, and may actually work in its favour. Check it out.

2 Likes

yeah i remember discussing that movie on Saintsweb, and one of the main movie critics on there, I think it was Chapel End Charlie, said what he would do is fuck a pelican.

1 Like

What was his strategy bear?

Asking for for a friend.

1 Like

I’ve just re-read that thread, and I see no evidence of Chapel End Charlie’s pelican poking plan. I did read a couple of your suggestions and enjoyed them, especially the concrete one.

If it were me, I would shag someone in an underground bunker or vault or something, wait until “it” turns up and they start freaking out, then do the offs.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Tokyo-Saint

What was his strategy bear?

Not sure it was a strategy, I just remember him saying he wanted to fuck a pelican.

1 Like

Just back from watching The Revenant - holy cow did I enjoy that. As others have said it’s not particularly fast-paced but it gets top marks from me for being a hell of an atmospheric and beautifully shot film. I haven’t read the book so didn’t know all of the beats going through the film, and despite the long running time and sparse action I was completely riveted all the way through. Also want to give props to the score by Ryuichi Sakamoto, which was the perfect combination of threatening and beautiful - good accompaniment to the brutal elements Leo faces in this. Could’ve sworn they turned the air conditioning up to full in the screening! I think those who chose to watch the leaked screening version of this film missed out on a fantastic cinematic experience that will stay with me for a long time - some of the shots in this film were absolutely breathtaking and deserved to be seen on a giant screen as opposed to on a laptop.

Also watched Spotlight the other week as well, which I thought was also a really well made film that had a lot to say about an issue that still doesn’t get talked about much despite the shocking revelations about child abuse in religion in part due to the investigation highlighted in the film. Some great performances but Mark Ruffalo stood out to me - whiny, neurotic and driven to exposing the truth.

Would be happy if either of those won the Best Picture Oscar!

Originally posted by @SuperMikey

Just back from watching The Revenant - holy cow did I enjoy that. As others have said it’s particularly fast-paced but it gets top marks from me for being a hell of an atmospheric and beautifully shot film. I haven’t read the book so didn’t know all of the beats going through the film, and despite the long running time and sparse action I was completely riveted all the way through. Also want to give props to the score by Ryuichi Sakamoto, which was the perfect combination of threatening and beautiful - good accompaniment to the brutal elements Leo faces in this. Could’ve sworn they turned the air conditioning up to full in the screening! I think those who chose to watch the leaked screening version of this film missed out on a fantastic cinematic experience that will stay with me for a long time - some of the shots in this film were absolutely breathtaking and deserved to be seen on a giant screen as opposed to on a laptop.

Also watched Spotlight the other week as well, which I thought was also a really well made film that had a lot to say about an issue that still doesn’t get talked about much despite the shocking revelations about child abuse in religion in part due to the investigation highlighted in the film. Some great performances but Mark Ruffalo stood out to me - whiny, neurotic and driven to exposing the truth.

Would be happy if either of those won the Best Picture Oscar!

Cool. Going to see this at the imax on Friday. Mostly because it’s not Star Wars and there is no fucking cape shit in it.

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

Watched It Follows last night.

Late AND off-topic reply, but after reading your post I had to pop this up. As found in Brighton last Summer.

2 Likes

Just watched Selma on Sky Movies, to my chagrin I have never really been a recent history buff and the film shocked me to the core. All this shit was happening 3 years before I was born, MLK was assasinated in the year I was born!

Don’t know how close to the truth it was but it certainly was provocative.

Just watched the Big Short, was pretty good but made me envious that I wasn’t a dude who wasn’t gonna get a 47mil cheque anytime soon and that was for one of the less important dudes, 1 dude made 2.7 bill for his fund

Watched The Hateful Eight last night. I fell asleep. Will watch the second half tonight.

Seems like Tarantino-by-numbers from what I’ve seen so far. As Fatso said,’ It’s good.’ Which aint saying much.

2 Likes

In more relevant ‘film posts by Ant’, I re-watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower the other night. Hit me much harder in the feels this time. Quite a simple film but nicely structured and has a ‘real’ quality to it. Perhaps it’s not so relatable for everybody but I certainly found it odd to see elements of myself reflected so starkly.

Emma Watson’s accent is still crap in it though.

2 Likes

as I have talked to people about the film, I find the way I described it doesn’t quite match the “good” label I gave it. I’m downgrading it to “quite good”. That is also subject to change.

Watched The Revenant at the imax on Friday evening.

It’s certainly gripping. The opening sequence is stunning. Gruesome, beautifully shot and totally absorbing and the bear attack is excellent.

I don’t think this is matched by the rest of the film though. Yes, it’s pretty to look at and there is plenty of tension created but there was something missing for me.

Some of the set pieces look to have been plopped into the film to give DiCaprio the chance to get covered in shit and gag a bit rather than being integral. It’s like the director had a great idea for the start and the end of the film but filled the middle with a series of undeveloped tableaus.

I didn’t really buy into Leonardo’s character. There was not enough time to identify with his character before he’s fucked over by the bear and then it’s all hoarse whispering, mumbles and foaming at the mouth. Not enough light and shade for me. One dimensional man on a revenge mission.

Excellent supporting cast though. Tom Hardy is pretty excellent in most things I’ve seen him in.

The fact that the imax was like a fucking sauna wasn’t really conducive to enhancing the atmpsphere either.

Overall, well worth a watch but doesn’t quite live up to the hype.

2 Likes

It’s not a traditional Hollywood movie. Especially, the narrative isnt a traditional revenge story. It’s more of a cinematic experience, you have to watch it on the big screen.

It’s stunning from a camera point of view that only natural light was used

1 Like