Making a roast

And none of you picked up I did not put an aperitif on the menu.

Wjat sort of connoisseur’s are you?

Fair point, you need a good pair of teeth to eat most things I cook

4 Likes

Brussells and Cabbage of any colour can just Fuck Off

Brussels can fuck off?

I think you’re on the wrong thread.

5 Likes

Roast potatoes, roast parsnips and carrots, the meat, yorkshires, stuffing, gravy. That’s it. That’s all you need.

3 Likes

Bear in mind that a bottle of wine that costs 100 euro’s here is probably available in Lidls for 6 quid :grimacing:

3 Likes

And those roasted vegs should not be glazed in honey or drenched in fucking sun dried tomatoes :lou_eyes_to_sky:

However Big Boy … every Roast should have at least one if not more of the following Greens Sprouts (with Chestnuts not Walnuts if desired), Spring Greens or Garden Peas. Sprouts and Cabbage are essential ingredients for the next day’s Bubble and Squeak.

Top Tip … I always try to prepare too much of everything so that there will be a delicious Bubble and Squeak the next day, but such is the quality of Mrs EoA’s cooking my prepared veggies it doesn’t always work out that way!! A good stock and juices from the meat to make The Gravy with is essential as well.

3 Likes

Red cabbage, Christmas lunch or dinner, corn on the cob is a mutation, a bad one at that.

True Dat

1 Like

Eric makes a valid point about meat juices for the gravy.

Your Bisto granules don’t quite hack it.

1 Like

Barry Sanchez in his backpacking days, the whopper

3 Likes

When I lived at home we had our Sunday roast at 17:00! Time for Sunday pub and to recover from said Sunday pub (they closed at 15:00 back then)

When I moved in with the missus she was used to having her roast dinner at 11:30!! 11:30 FFS, I managed to get her to knock it back by an hour bu tnow we have our roast at midday. Mind you I don’t normally have to have tea then, just some cold cuts will do.

A roast isn’t a roast without home made yorkshire, roast potatoes and roast parsnips. You can have your greens if you want but not for me. Oh the orast potatoes are usually done with a bit of tobasco suace too. BTW air fryers are a godsend when it comes to roast veg, they do them lovely and crispy in 30 mins…

When we go out for a carvery I always get told off because I’ll have the meat, a bit of whatever is on offer, then load up my plate with roast potatoes and parsnips then tons of gravy.

Oh and when you get a pork joint make sure you cen get some decent crackling off of it.

Recently had a new kitchen and went from a gas to electric oven. I find that the electric oven is much better at making crackling than the gas one ever was!!

1 Like

OK Roasters

How do you get decent Crackling from Frozen Pork Joints?

I know the whole stuff about getting it dry then dry it some more, and the 8 kilos of Salt but still only get a very few successes.

99% of all Pork sold here is Frozen either when we buy it or when it is shipped from Brazil (Ah yes I have some Brexit inputs for you)

Which means it’s a bitch trying to get it to Crackle properly

Help

Oh and just been forced to buy a Gas Oven as Electric isn’t provided for Cookers in the new Area we moved to

Good crackling from frozen pork.

complete derfrost of course

wash with clean water and dry.

score through with sharp knife.

rub olive oil all over with salt and pepper to taste oldies will like more salt.

cook in bottom of oven with tin foil cover for 45 min’s remove tin foil and put at top of oven on high heat until crackling crispy as you like it.

For me this generally worked :-

Really hot oven properly heated, gas mark 8 or 9.

Lard melted in a micromave, poor it over the dried pig skin. sprinkle generously with salt and really rub in with your hands. Then rub it in some more.

Leav for 5 mins.

Put the pig in the oven for 30 mins or until the crackling starts to turn. Keep basting the crackling every 10-15 mins during this period.

Lower the gas, back to down to 5 or 6 and cook out the pork, keep basting with hot juices every 20-30 mins but leave alone for the last hour.

A good cheat for crackling is to finish it carefully under a grill on lowest setting.

Or use one of those little flame throwers meant for creme brulee - carefully.

1 Like

Hmm

But I have been told you must keep it dry and never Baste it? Yet others are saying drown it in Lard…

Got to have oil on it think of it like a suntan much better when the oil is put on before you go out and a liberal basting of it all day long.

3 Likes