OptiNews - Friday 17 to Thursday 23 February 2017

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 12:43:44

|

| Saints sign Caceres on short-term dealEIRSPORT |
| | Defender joins Palace’s Premier League rivals SouthamptonCROYDONADVERTISER |
| | Official: Southampton sign Caceres on short-term dealCALCIOMERCATOCOM |
| | Caceres welcomes Saints chanceCLUBCALL |
| | Southampton confirm Martin Caceres signing, defender in contention to face Manchester United in EFL Cup finalIBTIMES |

...talentedly coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Saints sign Martin Caceres

Show/hide article…

SAINTS have confirmed the signing of free agent Martin Caceres on a short-term deal until the end of the season.

The former Juventus and Barcelona man joins up with Claude Puel’s squad in time for their pre-Wembley training camp to Spain, which they leave for today as they prepare for the League Cup final.

The experienced defender, who has had numerous injury problems during his career, went through “two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests” to prove he was fit enough to play for Saints, according to executive director of football Les Reed.

Caceres’ move to St Mary’s was initially delayed because of the sudden death of his brother last weekend, which saw him travel home to Uruguay to be with his family.

But he now makes the move to the south coast on a short-term deal, and will wear the number 12 shirt for the remainder of the campaign.

The Uruguayan international, who has 68 caps to his name, joins Saints after leaving Serie A giants Juventus at the end of the 2015/16 campaign.

He has also played for Spanish clubs Barcelona and Sevilla during his career, winning La Liga and the Champions League during his time at the Camp Nou.

With Juventus, the defender won Serie A on five occasions, as well as winning the Coppa Italia twice and finishing runners-up in the Champions League in 2015.

Caceres said: “I am very happy to have signed for what is an important club in English football. I am looking forward to getting started with my new teammates.

“Of all of the options that I had, I think that the best option for me was to come to Southampton. I am extremely happy to have joined this club.”

Reed said: “Recruiting players in January is an extremely difficult task, and this year was a particularly challenging market for centre-backs.

“We set out to recruit a high-calibre player in that position during the January window so I am delighted that, following extensive work and persistence, we have now been able to sign Martin Caceres on a short-term contract.

“Martin is a great talent, who has played at the very top level and won many trophies and medals. He is a very experienced international player for Uruguay and has enjoyed notable success with both Juventus and Barcelona.

"In a tough situation for us, losing Virgil to injury, he will bring experience, talent and character. He has played in the biggest of games, and will provide depth to our squad.

"Two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests have further demonstrated his desire and positive personality. I know Martin can’t wait to start playing again. We welcome him to St Mary’s, and his family into our family.”

Go to the original article…

...diligently given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

In Profile: Martín Cáceres

Show/hide article…

The 29-year-old joined the club on a free transfer after his spell at Italian giants Juventus, where he won an impressive five Serie A titles, ended in the summer.

Born in Montevideo, Cáceres started his career with hometown club Defensor Sporting, where he was a regular at a young age, before a move to La Liga, with Villareal, in 2007.

There, he was loaned out to Recreativo Huelva, and he made 34 apperances as well as contributing two goals.

A burgeoning talent, FC Barcelona swooped for his services in 2008. He made 14 appearances in total for the club, three of which were in the 2008/09 UEFA Champions League, as they won the competition to complete a historic treble.

An initial loan spell at Juventus under the stewardship of Ciro Ferrara saw the versatile defender, who can operate at centre-back or full-back, establish himself as a regular, before moving on loan to Sevilla.

His progress was curtailed when playing for Gregorio Manzano’s Sevilla side when he suffered a lacerated kidney in a challenge, before returning at the end of the season to help the side qualify for the UEFA Europa League.

In January 2012, he returned to Turin on loan, before making the move a permanent one later in the same year. In total, Cáceres made 116 appearances for the Italian giants, across his two spells there, chipping in with seven goals along the way.

On the international scene, Cáceres has earned 68 caps for Uruguay and starred in their Copa America win in 2011.

Playing five out of their six games, Cáceres scored the winning penalty against hosts Argentina to help the side progress to the semi-final stage.

He also started in all four of Uruguay’s matches at the 2014 World Cup, in Brazil, including their 2-1 victory over England in the group stages.

Cáceres was also involved at the 2010 finals, in South Africa, starting in the thrilling semi-final against the Netherlands, which Uruguay lost 3-2, while also making the line-up for the defeat to Germany in the third-place play-off match.

He now brings his wealth of experience and talent to Southampton ahead of the final months of the 2016/17 campaign.

...lushly given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Ibrahimovic treble will allow Mourinho to rotate ahead of Wembley clash with Saints

Show/hide article…

Jose Mourinho criticised Manchester United’s players for their unprofessional approach to the Europa League clash with St Etienne.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s first hat-trick for the club secured a 3-0 victory that puts United in control of the last-32 clash ahead of next Wednesday’s second leg in France.

That will no doubt enable Mourinho to perform some squad rotation ahead of the following Sunday’s League Cup final against Saints at Wembley.

However, the scoreline was grander than the Red Devils’ performance at Old Trafford, where St Etienne were unlucky to have gone in at half-time behind having scared United on numerous occasions.

Asked afterwards if he was happy with the result, Mourinho said: "I am - especially because in the first half, we played so bad, and we managed to finish it winning 1-0 when we don’t deserve.

"It was down to lack of concentration.

"I had the feeling immediately in the dressing room - too noisy, too funny, too relaxed. Then my assistants had the feeling in the warm-up, with some of the guys not really focused on getting the right adrenaline in their bodies.

"Then the game started and the first thing we did was a back-pass (by Eric Bailly) to the striker (Romain Hamouma) to be face-to-face with Sergio (Romero).

"So, lack of concentration. And when you don’t have it, it’s difficult to recover it. So the first half was hard.

"Even myself on the touchline, I felt it was difficult, the communication. I needed the half-time. So we were lucky, yes, to be winning 1-0.

“I am not happy with it. At half-time, the result could be 1-1. I always think we have to play every game with the same attitude.”

Put to him that the attitude might be down to the fact it was the Europa League rather than the Champions League, Mourinho said: "I know Champions League is the competition everyone wants to play, everyone wants to win, I know that.

"But we don’t play Champions League, we play Europa League.

"I think in the first half, it was too relaxed. Then, St Etienne were in the game with the right attitude and intensity, and they created problems.

“We don’t play Champions League, so if that is the case I would prefer to play in the Europa League than be at home watching TV. So I think with the players it is the same.”

Mourinho did stress the second half was “a different story” and said of the match overall: “To score three goals and not concede in the first leg at home, it’s always a good result - it is not over, but it is a good result.”

...squarely given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Le Tissier is hoping for a week of cup giantkillings

Show/hide article…

MATT Le Tisser is hoping for the perfect double next week - an FA Cup giantkilling for his Sutton United pals and Saints’ first major trophy for 41 years.

Le Tissier will be guest of Sutton boss Paul Doswell when the non-leaguers take on Arsenal, who beat Saints 5-0 at St Mary’s in the last round, at Gander Green Lane on Monday night.

The Saints legend briefly played under Doswell at Eastleigh and has also known Sutton coaches Ian Baird and Wayne Shaw for several years.

“It’s fantastic for them, Dozzy’s been a big Saints fan for a long time and I’ve known him through business circles in Southampton for many years,” he said.

"I’m just a little bit disappointed it’s not Southampton they’re playing.

“They were one game away and I’m sure he would have been delighted to play Southampton - but Arsenal’s not a bad tie for them is it!”

Le Tissier, who was speaking at Sutton’s press day, has been encouraged by the form of new Saints signing Manolo Gabbiadini ahead of the EFL Cup final against Manchester United a week on Sunday.

"He’s been a breath of fresh air, he looks a very useful signing.

"All of a sudden we’ve got someone who can take chances and when you’ve got a goalscorer in form you’ve always got a chance of winning a football match.

"As a forward to start at a new club with three goals in two games gives you so much confidence and hopefully he can take that into the final.

"United will go in as hot favourites, that’s to be expected. But in a cup final anyone has a chance, as 1976 proved.

"I’ve seen all of this cup run and am yet to see us concede - if that’s still the case after the final I’ll be a very happy man!

“We’ve had a bit of a poor run but the way we played against Sunderland lifted everyone’s confidence.”

...duplicitously churned out by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Seager: We needed that win

Show/hide article…

Seager struck the opener at Twerton Park before teeing up Marcus Barnes to complete the 2-0 scoreline, but the striker felt the whole team played a key role in the win.

“Everyone played their part,” he started.

"I thought it was a very good team performance. The pitch determined how we played, really. We knew what we had to do and the boys did it well.

“We needed that win. The league form hasn’t been the best this season, so definitely the cup can be a good distraction for us.”

Saints put out an attacking side against the Robins, with Radhi Jaïdi gifting starting berths to Seager, Barnes and Olufela Olomola.

And although it was the first time the trio had started together, Seager believes it could be the start of a positive partnership.

“We are all central strikers, really,” he continued.

“But we can also all play anywhere across the front three. I think today was the first time we have all played together.

“It’s good that we all linked up well and hopefully it can be a good partnership for us going forward.”

...tyrannically hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Premier League - Official Site article

Seager stars as Southampton go top

Show/hide article…

Ryan Seager (above left) scored one goal and set up the other to send Southampton top of Group A with a 2-0 victory over Bristol City.

The 21-year-old opened the scoring after only four minutes with a thunderous strike before teeing up Marcus Barnes (above right) midway through the second half to beat Jojo Wollacott in the City goal.

Saints go two points above Newcastle United and Swansea City and know avoiding defeat against Newcastle in their final match on 28 February will secure a place in the last 16.

Bristol City stay fourth on three points but can still qualify, with two matches to play, both against Swansea.

...relevantly dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Saints face football’s “Indiana Jones” at Wembley

Show/hide article…

SAINTS will be facing Manchester United’s Indiana Jones at Wembley in the League Cup final.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to continue being football’s Indiana Jones - succeeding wherever he goes.

The 35-year-old has lived up to the hype since arriving at United in the summer and took his goal tally to 23 in all competitions on Thursday.

Ibrahimovic’s first hat-trick for the club saw St Etienne put to the sword at Old Trafford as Jose Mourinho’s men ran out 3-0 victors in the first leg of their Europa League last-32 clash.

United are favourites to win the competition, just as they are for the upcoming League Cup final against Southampton, and the veteran Swede is determined to win more silverware.

Ibrahimovic has already won the Community Shield since joining United, with the well-travelled striker comparing his history of success to fictional archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones.

“Every trophy for me is incredible, everywhere I came I won so if I can win something here I will be super happy,” he said.

"People that know me know that I play in many clubs and I try to do my best.

“Wherever I went I won, so I am like Indiana Jones.”

Ibrahimovic’s medal-laden CV is certainly something to behold, having won trophies aplenty as well as hordes of individual accolades.

Thursday’s hat-trick was the 17th of his career and took his goal tally against St Etienne alone to 17, putting a smile on the striker’s face.

“It feels good,” Ibrahimovic said. "I got a lot of help from my team-mates. We played an open game today and it was important to get a good result so we can take it into the second leg.

"We won 3-0 and I got to score the three goals so I am happy for that. We have still many games to play so hopefully I can continue like I am doing.

“I’ve scored a couple of goals against them, I don’t focus on specific opponents, I just try to do my job, try to do what I am good at.”

Not everybody wearing red on Thursday can say they did their job, leading Mourinho to express his anger at their first-half display.

It was in the end, though, a solid first-leg victory against a decent side that few expect to overturn the deficit in France next Wednesday.

Put to Ibrahimovic that a clean sheet was important, the former Paris St Germain striker said: "Exactly. A good result because I know how difficult it is to play over there.

"They have a fantastic crowd, fantastic support, and the stadium is very nice, so the guys will see it when we go there. It was important today to get a good result.

"It is a good team. They always make it difficult for every team they play against and when I was at PSG the same thing. They did good.

“I think a couple of players are new, a couple of players left, but it is a good team.”

...frustrately put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:airplane::es::soccer:

@aleksgross explains the importance of #SaintsFC’s training camp in Spain, ahead of their #MarchToWembley: http://sfcne.ws/AGSpainCamp

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 9

...zestfully thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Cáceres: Gastón told me all about Saints

Show/hide article…

Ramírez joined Southampton in 2012, making 55 appearances in total for the club, taking in loans at Hull City and Middlesbrough along the way.

The playmaker, who played with Cáceres for the Uruguayan national team, was full of praise for both of the club and fans when the two discussed the possibility of the defender moving to Saints.

“I knew about Southampton because I had a friend from the Uruguayan national team here in Gastón Ramírez,” Cáceres told southamptonfc.com.

“When the option came up for me to join Southampton, I spoke with him, and he spoke very highly of it.

“He told me that the club operates very well and has fantastic fans.

“That was, without doubt, one of the main reasons that drew me to a move here.”

Cáceres will now hope to hit the ground running with his new club, having not played competitively so far this season.

“After six months without playing, you obviously can’t wait to put on the match shirt again and get out on the field,” he added.

“That’s what every player wants. I can’t thank Southampton enough for putting that trust in me.

“I want to repay that out of the pitch. I’ve had experience with big teams, and now I just want to give my very best to this club.”

...unorthodoxly brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 14:44:11

| | Rumour Mill: Juve to deal Liverpool double blow; Chelsea hint - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |
|

| Southampton land huge boost ahead of Manchester United cup final clashSHOOTCOUK |

...explosively thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Video: Jaïdi on Bristol City win

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...inconsistently concocted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

VOTE: would you play Martin Caceres at Wembley?

Show/hide article…

CLAUDE Puel faces a dilemma over whether or not to deploy new signing Martin Caceres against Manchester United in the League Cup final.

The Uruguayan has not played for more than a year, but executive director of football Les Reed stated that he passed “two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests” before signing for Saints.

The 29-year-old joins Saints for their warm weather training camp in Spain where Puel will be able to fully assess the fitness of the former Juventus and Barcelona man.

Maya Yoshida and Jack Stephens have been Saints’ centre-back partnership in Virgil van Dijk’s absence, but Caceres offers a high level option if he’s fit enough.

What would you do?

...terrifiedly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Win a signed Cáceres shirt!

Show/hide article…

We’ve got a signed Martín Cáceres shirt for one lucky Southampton fan to get their hands on!

The Uruguay international arrived on a short-term deal this week, and we’ve secured a superb competition prize from him.

Cáceres is putting his signature on a Saints home shirt, and we’re giving it away to one lucky fan.

To enter the competition, simply fill out your details below. We’ll pick a winner at random after the competition closes at midnight on Sunday 19th February.

...agonisedly cobbled together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Special offer on Cáceres shirt printing

Show/hide article…

Supporters can enjoy 50 per cent off shirt printing for the club’s latest arrival, while the shirts themselves have also been reduced to £30 for adults and £20 for children as part of our Wembley special offer.

Head to store.saintsfc.co.uk to get your Saints shirt and Cáceres’s name and number on the back.

Supporters should note that when purchasing on mobile, shirts will be displayed at full price, with the discounted price only shown once the product has been added to your basket.

The 50 per cent off shirt printing only applies to Cáceres. Please note, shirt printing will appear at full price when purchasing online, but when we come to process your order this will be reduced by 50 per cent. This will be reflected on your order invoice.

The shirt printing offer ends at 5pm on Monday 20th February, while the special offer on home shirts is subject to availability.

Shop now at store.saintsfc.co.uk.

Terms and conditions apply, no further discounts apply.

...indelicately spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#OnThisDay in 2007, Andrew Surman hit a hat-trick for #SaintsFC in a 5-2 home win over #BarnsleyFC: https://grabyo.com/g/v/CQFUzLquZlG

Retweets: 6

Favourites: 11

...deservingly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Current Prem teams ranked by their all-time goal difference - where does your side place?

Show/hide article…

WHAT is the overall goal difference of your Premier League team since the English top flight was formed in 1992?

Goal difference is a good indicator of how dominant a team has been.

Some teams batter other clubs with huge scorelines, showing the gulf in class between the sides.

And, when they do lose, they manage to keep the score respectable.

So - taking into account only Premier League matches - where does your team place?

Click through the gallery above to find out.

...self-centeredly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Want #SaintsFC’s new signing on your shirt?

Save 50 per cent on Martín Cáceres printing! #SaintCáceres http://sfcne.ws/CaceresPrinting

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 9

...mistakenly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Gross: Training camp is perfect preparation for final

Show/hide article…

Can you tell us the reasons behind going on this trip away?

There are really three main benefits to going away. We’ve had a few new additions recently, so it’ll be good to spend some time together because essentially it’s a new group.

Secondly, it’s a good time to get away from the bubble of being in Southampton and get away from that to focus on ourselves and what we need to achieve what we want. We’re definitely going there to train hard.

Finally, the facilities are great, the pitches are good and we’re well out of the way, so we won’t be disturbed. It’s an opportunity for the team to get together, get our work done and focus on the task at hand.

The team have played a lot of games already this season, but had a few days off after the win at Sunderland. How important was that, and how will that impact on your plans for the trip away?

It’s been a long slog since the start of the season. We’ve had games every three days and we’ve not really had the opportunity to prepare outside of this environment. It’s an opportunity to focus on the job at hand. It’s a nice lead in.

We’re not in the FA Cup which is disappointing, but it does allow us the opportunity to refresh with a few days off and then go into this camp to get a lot of our physical work done this week.

When we come back to Staplewood next week we can focus on the finishing touches tactically heading into that game.

The reason they had the days off is because we’ve had a real solid run of days on feet, so it’s that opportunity to give bodies and minds a rest, but going away and being in a training camp means there are no distractions. They’ll work hard throughout the week.

You’ll be together at all times on the trip. Is that another important factor in the build-up to such a big game?

It’s a good opportunity to have meetings around tactics and the way we’ll set up. It’s not always about on-field work. There is that opportunity to focus on the job at hand and nail down those plans before the big game.

Could this trip be of real benefit to the squad for the EFL Cup final?

It’s a bit of a siege mentality in terms of ‘we’re going to go and get this job done’. Obviously we need the support of everyone around us when we’re here, but there is that element of looking after ourselves and working hard to ensure we’re as prepared as we can be to win at Wembley.

...touchily dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Current Premier League clubs ranked by all-time Prem goals scored – from least to most

Show/hide article…

Goals win games, as the old saying goes, and there is no better feeling as a football fan than seeing the ball hit the back of the net.

However, over the years, some fans have been lucky enough to see their side score far more than other.

So we at talkSPORT have decided to rank the current members of the Premier League in order based on the all-time number of goals they have scored since the league began in 1992.

It certainly makes for interesting reading so check out our gallery to see which teams are goal-shy and who is goal crazy.

Scroll through the images using the right arrow above…

...expressly bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!