OptiNews - Friday 17 to Thursday 23 February 2017

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 16:44:39

| | Rumour Mill: Winger dreams of United move; Arsenal eye ace - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |

...adventurously devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Gabbiadini’s role in Saints history

Show/hide article…

SAINTS’ 4-0 romp at Sunderland last weekend was their joint-highest away win since the Premier League came into being in 1992.

The Wearside success equalled Saints’ 4-0 win at Leicester City in December 2001.

It was only the seventh time the club had scored four or more away goals in a top flight game since 1966.

Here, the Daily Echo looks at them all …

April 9 1994 Norwich 4 Saints 5 An incredible recovery by Alan Ball’s Saints, who were 3-1 down at Carrow Road with 33 minutes remaining.

Trailing early on to a Mark Robins goal, Saints levelled just before half-time through a Rob Ullathorne own goal.

Jeremy Goss and Chris Sutton seemed to have put the Canaries on course for victory, but Le Tissier struck twice, including a penalty, to level.

Norwich were back in front at 4-3 via Sutton’s second, only for Le Tissier to complete his treble with a header. That set the scene for Ken Monkou to emerge as the match-winner, heading in Le Tissier’s injury time corner.

April 25 1998 West Ham 2 Saints 4 Matt Le Tissier’s 40th minute opener was quickly cancelled out by Trevor Sinclair.

Egil Ostenstad and Carlton Palmer put Dave Jones’ side 3-1 up before Steve Lomas replied with eight minutes left. Ostenstad promptly scored his second.

December 8 2001 Leicester 0 Saints 4 Swedish midfielder Anders Svensson scored twice as Gordon Strachan’s lowly Saints thumped their relegation rivals at Filbert Street.

James Beattie and Marian Pahars also netted as Saints netted three times in the final 24 minutes.

The victory took Saints out of the relegation zone, and dumped the Foxes in the bottom three.

January 1 2002 Chelsea 2 Saints 4 A stunning victory for Saints, who entered the game fourth bottom while Chelsea had only been beaten once at home in the league all season.

Saints trailed 2-1 at half-time, after taking an early lead through James Beattie, to goals from Eidur Gudjohnsen and Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink.

Marian Pahars levelled on 55 minutes before Chris Marsden headed Saints in front just after the hour mark. Beattie wrapped up the unlikely success on 73 minutes.

April 3 2004 Wolves 1 Saints 4 Claus Lundekvam scored his first ever competitive goal for Saints - over eight years after arriving at the club.

His former boss Dave Jones was on the receiving end as the Norwegian struck on 58 minutes to put Paul Sturrock’s side 2-0 up - James Beattie having netted on 25 minutes.

Henri Camara pulled one back for the lowly hosts but Kevin Phillips struck twice in the last two minutes.

April 23 2015 Aston Villa 2 Saints 4 Saints were expected to win this one, given Villa’s truly appalling league form, and they duly did.

Shane Long and Dusan Tadic put Ronald Koeman’s side in command after 39 minutes, with Ashley Westwood replying on the stroke of half-time.

Tadic and Westwood traded further goals before Sadio Mane netted in the 90th minute.

February 11 2017 Sunderland 0 Saints 4 New £14m signing Manolo Gabbiadini continued his impressive start to life in the Premier League with a first half double.

Manchester City loanee defender Jason Denayer put through his own goal in the 88th minute and there was still time for Shane Long to complete the scoring.

Go to the original article…

...exasperatingly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Saints face football’s “Indiana Jones” at Wembley

Show/hide article…

SAINTS will be facing Manchester United’s Indiana Jones at Wembley in the League Cup final.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to continue being football’s Indiana Jones - succeeding wherever he goes.

The 35-year-old has lived up to the hype since arriving at United in the summer and took his goal tally to 23 in all competitions on Thursday.

Ibrahimovic’s first hat-trick for the club saw St Etienne put to the sword at Old Trafford as Jose Mourinho’s men ran out 3-0 victors in the first leg of their Europa League last-32 clash.

United are favourites to win the competition, just as they are for the upcoming League Cup final against Southampton, and the veteran Swede is determined to win more silverware.

Ibrahimovic has already won the Community Shield since joining United, with the well-travelled striker comparing his history of success to fictional archaeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones.

“Every trophy for me is incredible, everywhere I came I won so if I can win something here I will be super happy,” he said.

"People that know me know that I play in many clubs and I try to do my best.

“Wherever I went I won, so I am like Indiana Jones.”

Ibrahimovic’s medal-laden CV is certainly something to behold, having won trophies aplenty as well as hordes of individual accolades.

Thursday’s hat-trick was the 17th of his career and took his goal tally against St Etienne alone to 17, putting a smile on the striker’s face.

“It feels good,” Ibrahimovic said. "I got a lot of help from my team-mates. We played an open game today and it was important to get a good result so we can take it into the second leg.

"We won 3-0 and I got to score the three goals so I am happy for that. We have still many games to play so hopefully I can continue like I am doing.

“I’ve scored a couple of goals against them, I don’t focus on specific opponents, I just try to do my job, try to do what I am good at.”

Not everybody wearing red on Thursday can say they did their job, leading Mourinho to express his anger at their first-half display.

It was in the end, though, a solid first-leg victory against a decent side that few expect to overturn the deficit in France next Wednesday.

Put to Ibrahimovic that a clean sheet was important, the former Paris St Germain striker said: "Exactly. A good result because I know how difficult it is to play over there.

"They have a fantastic crowd, fantastic support, and the stadium is very nice, so the guys will see it when we go there. It was important today to get a good result.

"It is a good team. They always make it difficult for every team they play against and when I was at PSG the same thing. They did good.

“I think a couple of players are new, a couple of players left, but it is a good team.”

...disarmingly fitted together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

READER LETTER: Saints fans should be grateful - we could have been where Coventry are now

Show/hide article…

A FOOTBALL club who punched above their weight in the old First Division for more than three decades, then fell upon hard times and were taken over are in a Wembley cup final this year.

Yes, Coventry City are in the Check a Trade Cup Final (and bottom of Division One).

Saints fans might want to reflect for a moment, because Coventry were taken over by SISU (after they failed to take over the Saints).

So my message to all Saints fans who criticise the owners and board at St Marys, is that there but for the grace of God it could have been the Saints.

Reaching a cup final apart, much of the football has been dire, but we are at Wembley so let’s go there in good heart and with strong voice and support our club.

Seven years of progress had to stutter at some time, but ask a Coventry fan if they would swap places and no prizes for guessing the answer.

...incorrectly synergised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

“It was a close game at their place."

#SaintsFCU18s manager Craig Fleming on facing #SwansU18s in the #U18PL: http://sfcne.ws/CFonSwansU18s

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 1

...single-handedly fitted together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

COMPETITION: Find out how you can win tickets and cheer Saints on at Wembley

Show/hide article…

ANTICIPATION is building as Saints prepare to take on Manchester United at Wembley.

It is seven years since Saints played in a final and all eyes will be on the capital when the game kicks off on Sunday.

It has sold out but the Daily Echo is offering readers the chance to win two tickets to support their heroes from the stands.

All you need to do is pick up a copy of Saturday’s Daily Echo and check www.dailyecho.co.uk tomorrow.

...hazily mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#MUFC stand between #SaintsFC and #EFLCup glory…

@OriolRomeu can’t wait to face up to the challenge: https://grabyo.com/g/v/E2OZAjcKyJo

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 5

...impliably fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 18:45:07

| | Rumour Mill: New deal for Arsenal target; United dream - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |
|

| The Dafabet Roker Riches: Week #28 - Blame us for SAFC’s Southampton humiliation!SBNATIONROKERREPORT |
| | Southampton Remain A Model Of Steady, Successful GrowthUMAXIT |

...unrefinedly assembled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Saints sign Cáceres

Show/hide article…

The experienced defender makes the move to St Mary’s on a short-term deal, and will wear the number 12 shirt for the remainder of the campaign.

Cáceres, a Uruguayan international with 68 caps to his name, joins Saints after leaving Serie A giants Juventus at the end of the 2015/16 campaign.

The 29 year-old has also played for Spanish clubs Barcelona and Sevilla during his career, winning La Liga and the Champions League during his time at the Camp Nou.

With Juventus, the defender won Serie A on five occasions, as well as winning the Coppa Italia twice and finishing runners-up in the Champions League in 2015.

Speaking about his arrival at St Mary’s, Cáceres said: “I am very happy to have signed for what is an important club in English football. I am looking forward to getting started with my new teammates.

“Of all of the options that I had, I think that the best option for me was to come to Southampton. I am extremely happy to have joined this club.”

Executive Director of Football Les Reed said: “Recruiting players in January is an extremely difficult task, and this year was a particularly challenging market for centre-backs.

“We set out to recruit a high-calibre player in that position during the January window so I am delighted that, following extensive work and persistence, we have now been able to sign Martín Cáceres on a short-term contract.

“Martin is a great talent, who has played at the very top level and won many trophies and medals. He is a very experienced international player for Uruguay and has enjoyed notable success with both Juventus and Barcelona.

"In a tough situation for us, losing Virgil to injury, he will bring experience, talent and character. He has played in the biggest of games, and will provide depth to our squad.

"Two days of extensive medicals and tough fitness tests have further demonstrated his desire and positive personality. I know Martin can’t wait to start playing again. We welcome him to St Mary’s, and his family into our family.”

...enthrallingly developed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Romeu to put Mata friendship on hold

Show/hide article…

Oriol Romeu will be up against a great friend in the EFL Cup final – but the midfielder will be putting that relationship on hold for the day.

During his time as a Chelsea player, Romeu became close with his fellow Spaniard, Juan Mata, who has since made the switch to Old Trafford.

There is a good chance that one of Romeu’s key tasks at Wembley will be dealing with the United playmaker, but friendship will certainly not be getting in the way for the Saints midfielder.

"I shared two years of my life next to him,” Romeu said of Mata. “He helped me a lot.

“I was quite young when I went to Chelsea, at the age of 19, 20-years-old and he was a little bit older.

"He helped me a lot through some difficult moments and I will be always very pleased to know him and proud and happy with the way he has done things for me.

"But we will forget for 90 minutes and we will not be friends once the whistle blows.”

...suspiciously given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 20:45:36

| | Rumour Mill: Chelsea want Liverpool target; Lindelof update - TEAMtalk | Latest Football News & Transfer RumoursTEAMTALK |

...fervently fitted together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| How well do you know Martin Caceres? | Southampton Football Club confirmed the signing of Martin Caceres on a free transfer last night. The experienced … 17-02-2017 |

Older content…

| How will Caceres fit in at St Mary’s?2 days ago |
| Reed discusses Caceres signing2 days ago |
| Confirmed - Southampton sign Martin Caceres2 days ago |
| Tadic happy to be back through the middle2 days ago |
| Mourinho bemoans busy schedule ahead of Saints final clash2 days ago |
| Davis speaks of comfort in suited formation2 days ago |
| Ten centre-backs Saints could look to sign in the summer3 days ago |
| Captain Puel needs to steady the ship4 days ago |
| Black states that heavy schedule took its toll on Saints4 days ago |

...spoiledly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Thanks to all of @SFC_Foundation’s partner schools, who have being showing their colours ahead of #SaintsFC’s upcom… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/832696373472473088

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...duplicitously costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The #EFLCup final is set to pit #SaintsFC’s @OriolRomeu against one of his great friends: http://sfcne.ws/RomeuMataFinal

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 5

...alarmedly mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The #EFLCup final is set to pit #SaintsFC’s @OriolRomeu against one of his great friends: http://sfcne.ws/RomeuMataEFL

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 8

...imprecisely put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| What is a realistic league finish for Saints? | With the excitement of the EFL Cup final’s fast approach, Saints and their fans are understandably focussed on their … 17-02-2017 |

Older content…

| How well do you know Martin Caceres?a day ago |
| How will Caceres fit in at St Mary’s?2 days ago |
| Reed discusses Caceres signing2 days ago |
| Confirmed - Southampton sign Martin Caceres2 days ago |
| Tadic happy to be back through the middle2 days ago |
| Mourinho bemoans busy schedule ahead of Saints final clash2 days ago |
| Davis speaks of comfort in suited formation2 days ago |
| Ten centre-backs Saints could look to sign in the summer3 days ago |
| Captain Puel needs to steady the ship4 days ago |

...explosively originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Martín Cáceres on why a trip away with #SaintsFC is the perfect way for him to settle quickly at his new club: http://sfcne.ws/MCSpainTrip

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 11

...enjoyably engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Fleming: We are concentrating on ourselves

Show/hide article…

The Swans travel to Staplewood in Under-18 Premier League action, having played out a 1-1 draw in the reverse fixture back in November.

“It was a close game at their place,” started Fleming.

“I think we missed a couple of pretty good chances to win it that day, so it should be a good game.

“They [Swansea] have a group that go with the Under-23s and a younger group that play, so they are probably in a similar position to us.

“But at this level you never know what you are going to come up against. All we can do is continue to concentrate on ourselves, our performances and the development of our boys.”

One player that has pushed on in his development of late is Under-18s captain Aaron O’Driscoll.

The centre back made his Under-23s debut in the Premier League Cup earlier this week - something Fleming feels the youngster more than deserved.

“It was fantastic to see,” he continued.

“He’s been really close for quite a while now. He’s been a bit unfortunate because his performances have probably warranted more time with Martin [Hunter] and Radhi [Jaïdi].

“But with the boys doing well at the back for them it’s been difficult for him to break in, so that was really pleasing. He thoroughly deserved it.”

...heavenly brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 17/02/2017 23:46:18

| | Gross excited for trip to SpainCLUBCALL |

...justly designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:speech_balloon:

What does the #MarchToWembley mean to you, @OriolRomeu?

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 8

...feudally devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!