OptiNews - Friday 24 to Thursday 30 November 2017

Sourced from The Telegraph article

What Pep Guardiola said in tirade at Nathan Redmond after Man City’s late victory against Southampton

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola was involved in what looked like a furious argument with Southampton forward Nathan Redmond following Manchester City’s dramatic win over Southampton on Wednesday night.

Raheem Sterling scored a 96th-minute winner as City defeated Saints 2-1 and, bizarrely, after celebrating the goal, Guardiola marched over to an unsuspecting Redmond and proceeded to lay into the 23 year-old, even tapping his hand on the player’s chest.

Whatever Redmond had done during the game had clearly irked Guardiola, but the player himself seemed to remain calm throughout the altercation.

It seems, though, that rather than angry verbals, Guardiola had simply been voicing his frustration on behalf of the player. “(I told him) how good a player he is,” Guardiola said.

"Last season he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season, I realised how good he is.

Go to the original article…

...heedlessly hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Saints At Manchester City The Verdict | There were some who were asking just what Mauricio Pellegrino was on when the team at the Etihad was announced, but … 30-11-2017 |

Older content…

| Manchester City 2 - 1 Southampton - Player Ratings and Reportsa day ago |
| Saints At Manchester City The Previewa day ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints V Man City Preview2 days ago |
| Donate To The Ugly Inside’s Movember Campaign !2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV Saints V Manchester City ! Opposition Preview2 days ago |
| Will Saints Have A New Third Kit For The Trip To Bournemouth ?2 days ago |
| A Rough Guide To Manchester City2 days ago |
| Saints Squad Had A Clear The Air Meeting !3 days ago |
| Saints V Everton The Verdict3 days ago |
| Saints V Everton ! Dan’s Review3 days ago |

...festively introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Pep Guardiola has apologised for his actions at the end of the Southampton game

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola was involved in an angry exchange with Southampton’s Nathan Redmond following Raheem Sterling’s dramatic 96th-minute winner.

Sterling’s late strike restored Manchester City’s eight-point lead at the top of the Premier League but seconds later the City boss went face to face with Redmond as they left the pitch, furious at what he claimed were the visitors’ time-wasting tactics.

Guardiola sought to play down the episode, but admitted he had been told to calm down by ref Paul Tierney following his over-zealous celebrations of the last-gasp goal.

“I said ‘I apologise’ because I couldn’t control it,” said Guardiola. “I was so happy. I ran after Raheem but I’m not quick enough, but we were so happy.”

On his post-match confrontation with Redmond, which saw Guardiola grab him around the neck and twice put a hand on his chest, the City boss said: “I said to Redmond how good he is.

“Last season he destroyed us here, but today he couldn’t attack because he defended all the time.”

Guardiola then accused Southampton of time-wasting and claimed City were the only side that had tried to win the game.

“They came to defend, they were time-wasting after nine minutes,” said Guardiola. “They didn’t want to play. We were the only team who tried to win. We deserved it by far.”

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino refuted Guardiola’s time-wasting claim and admitted his players were left crestfallen by conceding so late on to lose.

“I didn’t see too many actions to delay the game,” said Pellegrino. “I can’t say anything [about Guardiola’s celebrations].

“Every team and person celebrates however they want. It’s really frustrating for us but we have to congratulate the opponent and digest this pain.”

City went ahead through a Virgil van Dijk own goal, but levelled through Oriol Romeu, with Sterling having the final say with his late winner.

...crookedly mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/11/2017 11:18:30

| | Manchester City 2-1 Southampton: 5 Talking PointsSPORTSKEEDA |
| | Pep Guardiola Explains What He Said To Nathan Redmond After The Final WhistleBALLSIE |
| | West Ham should make surprise January move for 22-year-old Southampton starFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Sterling seals deal for Guardiola’s Man City with 96th minute winner against SouthamptonNEWSX |
| | Forget van Dijk: Landing this £6.75m-rated ace could finally solve Liverpool’s defensive woes | | Where football …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Should Newcastle challenge Southampton for Leo Baptistao?HEREISTHECITY |
| | Pep Guardiola hails his Manchester City side following Raheem Sterling’s late winner against Southampton - Article - …SPORT360 |
| | 2 Southampton stars Leeds must snap up in January to enhance their promotion credentials | | Where football transfer …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Southampton should hijack Swansea’s January move for Liverpool starFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Pep Guardiola reveals what he said to Nathan Redmond during bizarre clash at full-timeGIVEMESPORT |

...differently forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by talkSPORT tweet

@talkSPORT - talkSPORT

“If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar!”

Pep Guardiola was ‘over the top’ in his exchange with #SaintsFC sta… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/936191656541544450

Retweets: 15

Favourites: 44

...raptly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

#SaintsFC will play in a special
@UnderArmourUK third kit in Sunday’s visit to #AFCB!

Full story :point_right:https://twitter.com/i/web/status/936204112517062656

Retweets: 11

Favourites: 11

...rememberingly prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Man City vs Southampton: Pep Guardiola reveals real reason he shouted at Nathan Redmond

Show/hide article…

Manchester City left it late to claim all three points against Southampton, with Raheem Sterling scoring deep into stoppage time at the Etihad.

City had taken the lead just after the half-time break thanks to a Kevin De Bruyne free kick before Oriol Romeu gave the Premier League leaders a scare with an equaliser on 75 minutes.

And Guardiola could not control his emotions after Sterling bagged City’s winner as he ran down the touchline to celebrate with his players.

And he continued in animated fashion after the final whistle, when the City manager’s post-match conversation with Saints winger Nathan Redmond raised eyebrows.

The City boss had been frustrated that Southampton “didn’t want to play” and “were time wasting from the ninth minute”, but insists he was praising Redmond despite his aggressive manner.

“(I told him) how good a player he is,” Guardiola said on the incident.

...nationalistically created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/11/2017 12:19:19

| | Pep Guardiola explains why he angrily confronted Nathan Redmond before Man City snatched late winIRISHINDEP |
| | Here’s what Pep Guardiola said to Nathan Redmond during their heated post-match discussionJOECOUK |
| | WATCH: Ederson defined ‘Pep Ball’ with one outrageously cool moment v SouthamptonGIVEMESPORT |
| | Guardiola shocked by Benjamin Mendy’s ‘disaster’ after Southampton101GREATGOALS |

...focusedly created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/11/2017 13:19:24

| | The Ped Report City 2-1 SouthamptonVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Pep Guardiola explains why he angrily confronted Nathan Redmond before Man City snatched late winIRISHINDEP |
| | Saints At Manchester City The Verdict - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Southampton fans react on Twitter to Fraser Forster’s performanceHEREISTHECITY |
| | Football Arrests Fall Once Again - 2016/17VITALFOOTBALL |

...accommodatingly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Pellegrino sees another side to Saints

Show/hide article…

Saints were cruelly beaten by Raheem Sterling’s 20-yard shot in the sixth minute of added time after Oriol Romeu had cancelled out Kevin De Bruyne’s deflected opener.

But Pellegrino was encouraged after seeing another side to his players, who were forced to concede the vast majority of possession at the Etihad Stadium.

“We have to learn how to play this type of game,” said the boss.

“In a normal game we are used to managing the ball for most of the game, but most of the time we were defending and waiting for our moment.

“We had to be patient and wait for our chances, which I thought we did well.”

Saints return to action with a South Coast derby at Bournemouth on Sunday – their third game in eight days.

“We have to keep going,” Pellegrino added.

“We will recover and rest tomorrow, but we have enough players who are fresh to be well prepared to win the game.”

Pellegrino lost Cédric to a hamstring injury in the closing stages at the Etihad, revealing the defender will have to be assessed later this week.

...colourlessly churned out by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:raised_hands:

#OnThisDay last year, #SaintsFC took a huge step towards Wembley with a 2-0 win at #Arsenal in the League Cup qu… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/936230978892075008

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 2

...stunnedly hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Romeu: ‘City pain will eventually be a positive’

Show/hide article…

ORIOL Romeu admits the last-gasp 2-1 defeat at Premier League leaders Manchester City is a painful wound – but believes Saints will come to realise how good their performance was at the Etihad Stadium.

The Spanish midfielder, who returned to action at City following a one-game ban, netted 15 minutes from time to equalise after Virgil van Dijk’s own goal had given the hosts the advantage.

It was everything Saints deserved, following a resilient defensive performance.

“Perhaps the word isn’t robbed. We feel frustrated. We feel like we did everything to get the three points today,” Romeu said.

“We worked very well; we were almost the whole game keeping them away from chances and clear opportunities.

“But then we missed that for ten seconds and that’s what happened today. We conceded that goal at the beginning of the second half and then we changed a little bit.

“We could equalise, we could get back into the game, but all we needed was ten seconds. That’s all we needed.”

Romeu revealed that Saints were feeling low after the defeat, but will soon understand that the display they laid on at City was top notch.

“Right now it’s so hard to take it and feel anything nice because we took nothing away and we had to cover so much distance to keep them quiet and it wasn’t easy,” he said.

“But probably tomorrow, probably we’ll realise we did a good performance and we did very well and we hampered a very strong team offensively.

“It wasn’t easy so it’s good to get that performance – but it would have been better to get points.”

He added: “We did almost everything. We fought until the end, we ran a lot together and helped each other.

“Then, in the last five or ten seconds they scored an amazing goal. We probably left them too much space on the edge of the box.

“But trying to cover Sterling, we left De Bruyne on his own. They are good players and sometimes it’s difficult to cover all those spaces and the ball went in.

“The performance was good, though, and we must be happy with team today. Although we’re not happy at the moment probably tomorrow we will see it in a positive way.”

...barefacedly designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Pep Guardiola reveals what he told Nathan Redmond during furious pitch invasion

Show/hide article…

Television cameras appeared to show the Spanish coach furiously remonstrating with the young English winger, pursuing Redmond as he left the pitch at the Emirates.

But during his post-match press conference, Guardiola claimed that their conversation was rather more pleasant than it appeared.

“[I was telling him] how good a player he is,” Guardiola told reporters.

“Last season, he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season, I realised how good he is but today he could not attack because they defend all the time.

“That is what it is.”

...imposingly designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/11/2017 14:19:32

|

| Manchester City 2-1 Southampton: Match recapFANSIDEDSAINTSMARCHING |
| | ‘He’s twice the player Le Tissier was’ … Southampton fans praise star after Man City lossFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Pep Guardiola has a warning for Man City after Southampton winMANEVNEWS |

...compulsively instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

‘If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar’ - Pep Guardiola over the top for row with Nathan Redmond, says Ray Parlour

Show/hide article…

Ray Parlour believes Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was wrong for his heated row with Nathan Redmond following Thursday’s win over Southampton, saying there would have been ‘uproar’ if Jose Mourinho was caught doing the same.

A video capturing an animated discussion between the City boss and Saints winger went viral on social media following City’s late 2-1 victory – sealed by Raheem Sterling’s stunning stoppage-time goal.

In it, a celebrating Guardiola shook the player’s hand but then appeared to berate him about his actions on the pitch, repeatedly shoving him during their walk towards the tunnel while Redmond, who was calm throughout, covered his mouth with a hand as he replied.

The City boss explained his exchange with Redmond at the post-match press conference, saying: "I said what good a player he is. Last season he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season and didn’t realise how good he is. Today he could not attack because he defends all the time. Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one-against-one. But they didn’t want to play, they were time wasting from the ninth minute. I just wanted them to play. I spoke with Oriol Romeu as well, with Virgil van Dijk as well.”

Show host Jim White argued that Guardiola was showing his passion for the game by telling a player that he was wasting his talent by parking the bus and playing for the draw, and should be praised.

But Parlour disagrees, with the former Arsenal star telling talkSPORT: “That was over the top, for me.

“A manager going to another player, who is not your own player and putting your arms on him and pulling him around – we all love Guardiola’s passion and I’m not saying I don’t like it, but to do that at the end of the game…

“If Jose Mourinho would have done that, there would have been uproar, absolute uproar.

“As a player, if I was walking towards the tunnel and the other manager came up to me and did that, I’d be fuming - I don’t care that it was Guardiola!

“He’s having a right pop at Redmond there, and if it is about time wasting, what do you expect?

“Man City are so good at the moment, how do you think Southampton are going to play? It looks like they’re going to get a 1-1 draw away from home against the best team in the Premier League, you’re going to be slowing the game down and defending for your life. That would have been a magnificent result for them.

“I think he was a little bit over the top there, Guardiola.”

Listen to the full discussion on Guardiola and Redmond exchange in full above!

...welcomingly given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

‘If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar’ - Pep Guardiola over the top for row with Nathan Redmond, says Ray Parlour

Show/hide article…

Ray Parlour believes Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola was wrong for his heated row with Nathan Redmond following Thursday’s win over Southampton, saying there would have been ‘uproar’ if Jose Mourinho was caught doing the same.

A video capturing an animated discussion between the City boss and Saints winger went viral on social media following City’s late 2-1 victory – sealed by Raheem Sterling’s stunning stoppage-time goal.

In it, a celebrating Guardiola shook the player’s hand but then appeared to berate him about his actions on the pitch, repeatedly shoving him during their walk towards the tunnel while Redmond, who was calm throughout, covered his mouth with a hand as he replied.

The City boss explained his exchange with Redmond at the post-match press conference, saying: "I said what good a player he is. Last season he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season and didn’t realise how good he is. Today he could not attack because he defends all the time. Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one-against-one. But they didn’t want to play, they were time wasting from the ninth minute. I just wanted them to play. I spoke with Oriol Romeu as well, with Virgil van Dijk as well.”

Show host Jim White argued that Guardiola was showing his passion for the game by telling a player that he was wasting his talent by parking the bus and playing for the draw, and should be praised.

But Parlour disagrees, with the former Arsenal star telling talkSPORT: “That was over the top, for me.

“A manager going to another player, who is not your own player and putting your arms on him and pulling him around – we all love Guardiola’s passion and I’m not saying I don’t like it, but to do that at the end of the game…

“If Jose Mourinho would have done that, there would have been uproar, absolute uproar.

“As a player, if I was walking towards the tunnel and the other manager came up to me and did that, I’d be fuming - I don’t care that it was Guardiola!

“He’s having a right pop at Redmond there, and if it is about time wasting, what do you expect?

“Man City are so good at the moment, how do you think Southampton are going to play? It looks like they’re going to get a 1-1 draw away from home against the best team in the Premier League, you’re going to be slowing the game down and defending for your life. That would have been a magnificent result for them.

“I think he was a little bit over the top there, Guardiola.”

Listen to the full discussion on Guardiola and Redmond exchange in full above!

...unfashionably introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/11/2017 14:54:58

| | Sterling is on a high after riding to Manchester City’s rescue once againBELFASTTELE |
| | Pep Guardiola Explains Exchange with Nathan Redmond After City vs. SouthamptonBLEACHERREPORT |

...impassively manufactured by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

WATCH & VOTE: Is Wayne Rooney’s goal the best from halfway line?

Show/hide article…

WATCH & VOTE: Is Wayne Rooney’s goal the best from halfway line?

Wayne Rooney scored a stunning long-range goal for Everton against West Ham, but is it the best goal scored from the halfway line or beyond?

Rooney himself scored a similar goal against the Hammers when he was playing for Manchester United in 2014.

And, of course, one of the most memorable goals from the halfway line was David Beckham’s against Wimbledon in 1996.

Stoke’s Charlie Adam managed the feat at Stamford Bridge while Luis Suarez scored from just inside the Norwich half when he was playing for Liverpool.

Another former Liverpool player, Xabi Alonso, also netted from distance against Newcastle, as did Matthew Taylor against Everton.

Stiliyan Petrov smashed in from long range in Aston Villa’s 6-0 thrashing of Derby and Maynor Figueroa scored from a free-kick inside his own half for Wigan against Stoke.

Which goal was your favourite? Watch them all in the video at the top of the page and then vote below…

...agitatedly fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Saints to wear third kit for Cherries clash

Show/hide article…

The strip, which has been produced by club partner Under Armour, features a white shirt, with red shorts and white socks.

The club was asked to produce an alternative kit for this weekend’s fixture by the Premier League, which deemed its home and away strips to clash with Bournemouth’s shirts.

It will be the second season in a row that Saints have worn this combination of colours for the trip to Vitality Stadium, with the team winning 3-1 there in December 2016.

Please note that the third kit will not be available to purchase.

...touchedly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Which Premier League side has the toughest December?

Show/hide article…

For most people, December is a time to relax, eat to your heart’s content and watch festive films like Die Hard. But that outlook does not apply where the Premier League is concerned.

Christmas and the New Year bring more action, not less, and the month can often define a team’s entire season. There can be tough travel and harder games. Every team has seven league matches to overcome.

So how does each team fare over December? Sportsmail has taken a look at their slate of fixtures and analysed who has it simple and which teams face rough months.

Arsenal have been imperious at the Emirates recently, which is why they will look at home fixtures against Manchester United and Liverpool positively. Their longest trip is a visit to West Brom - not bad at all - and they play two London teams away from home.

The fixtures will pile up though. They are competing on three fronts already this season. West Ham in the League Cup represents an opportunity to reach a semi-final. They have already wrapped up top spot in their group in the Europa League and BATE will undoubtedly face a second, if not third, string side.

It is a good thing Bournemouth have improved their form recently - barring the Burnley defeat - because December is a tough month. Away games against Manchester United and Manchester City are unlikely to bring Eddie Howe’s side much in the way of points. And for any fans travelling to United, an 8pm kick-off is a nightmare.

At home it will not get much easier. Liverpool will be a tough test and Everton could be on an upwards curve under a new manager. West Ham and Southampton should be winnable fixtures. And there is not much travelling involved either.

Brighton will spend a lot of December trekking up and down the country. Trips to Huddersfield and Newcastle represent long slogs for a team from the south coast of England. They are fortunate that their other away games are only in London - against Spurs and Chelsea - a relatively easy trip in terms of distance if not opposition.

At home, it would be disappointing for them if they did not manage to pick up some points against the trio of Liverpool, Watford and Burnley, although all three have been flying this season. It could pan out to be a difficult month.

Gone are the days when Burnley would have viewed any trip away from Turf Moor with trepidation. And over December, barring a visit to the AMEX Stadium to play Brighton, they will not exactly be clocking up the miles.

Games against Spurs and Manchester United will be tough, but around those two encounters, Burnley could pick up some serious points over the month. It would not be a humongous shocker to see them still in the top six come the turn of the new year.

Chelsea have the same problem as Arsenal - they are playing across three competitions in December. And, even worse, their Champions League situation is not wrapped up. They have to beat Atletico Madrid to be guaranteed top spot in Group C.

That could mean tired legs among a thin squad. Even so, they will look kindly on a fixture list that does not see them play a single team in the Premier League’s top nine. Brighton - 10th - at home represents their toughest league test based on the season so far.

Discounting the end of the month, Crystal Palace will be hopeful of managing to pick up some points over December. The only problem is that so many of the winnable games - West Brom, Leicester and Swansea - are on the road. On the plus side, they have a minimum of three days between each game.

That said, Arsenal and Manchester City’s trips to Selhurst Park will be difficult to get anything from. That is especially the case when it comes to City, who beat them 5-0 at the Etihad.

The 4-0 win against West Ham has probably changed Everton’s outlook about the next month. Games against Huddersfield and Swansea suddenly look winnable. An away trip to Bournemouth is the longest domestic distance they will need to cover.

The one issue is how they balance Liverpool, a derby, and Newcastle, which might be the more important game given their current predicament, over three days. Apollon Limassol would usually be an inconvenience, but if new boss Sam Allardyce takes any players who are likely to trouble his team it would be a real shock.

It has been a decent start to the season for David Wagner’s side, but December could be quite a tough month. Long trips to Watford and Southampton over successive weekends are not something they or their fans will be looking forward to. And they are probably visiting Everton at the wrong time.

At home, they will view Brighton, Stoke and Burnley as positive fixtures to have on their plate. And while Chelsea will be less than easy, they have shown their capacity to challenge the big teams over games against City and United.

Leicester’s run of three games in a week - including a long trip to Southampton, and two home matches against Crystal Palace and Manchester City - represents a little bit of a fixture pile-up. But the visit to St. Mary’s is the most time they will spend on the road.

Games against Burnley, Newcastle and Crystal Palace are all quite winnable, and could give Claude Puel a boost in his still relatively new role. Games against City and United one after another will not exactly be fun.

The positive: five of their eight games are at Anfield. And they should be looking at those 15 points available to them in the Premier League and thinking about collecting all of them. The only potentially difficult match at home comes against Everton, and the Toffees’ own record at Anfield over recent seasons has been terrible.

In terms of fixtures, it is a shame for the Reds that they still need a result against Spartak Moscow. And having three away games against Brighton, Bournemouth and Arsenal means they will have to do more travelling than they might have hoped. It is also a lot to ask of fans in a month.

It is hard to picture any game being particularly tough for Manchester City right now. But the match against Manchester United at Old Trafford is probably a season-defining one. Win that and the title looks like it will definitely be heading to the Etihad.

Which means they need to be careful about how much energy they expend before a tough trip to Swansea and the visit of Spurs, who are no scrubs. Away matches against Newcastle and Crystal Palace over four days caps off what could be a slightly tough away run.

This is a big month for Man United. If they nail their big games they could find themselves close behind Pep Guardiola’s side. Lose against Arsenal and City and they will find it very tough to overhaul their local rivals and win the Premier League.

Aside from that, the month is pretty tame. They should be able to beat Bournemouth, West Brom, Leicester and Southampton. The trip to the Emirates is also the longest distance they have to cover and it comes at the start of the month.

Newcastle do not have it easy by any stretch of the imagination. Games against Chelsea and Arsenal away from home are long treks for a team from the north east. And hosting City is not something any team in the top flight will look forward to.

Add in the trip to London to play West Ham on December 23 - which will not be convenient for their fans - and the festive period could turn out to be a long slog for Rafa Benitez and his troops. Sam Allardyce will also be desperate to get something against his old team on December 13.

It will not be an easy December for Mauricio Pellegrino and the Saints. They face four of the top six. And games against Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United away from home make that all the tougher - that’s three of seven games that may just be write offs.

At the least, they do not have to do much travelling around the country over the month. Chelsea and Tottenham are the longest trips they will face. And Huddersfield at home is a game they would hope to pick up three points from. They should also be excited about the Bournemouth game.

Stoke fans lost a bit of patience with Mark Hughes over the last two games. It will probably come as a slight boost that their home matches over December are so winnable then. They should hope to pick up points from games against Swansea, West Ham and West Brom.

The problem is on the road. Spurs, Burnley and Chelsea are tough trips and Huddersfield are no pushovers. The other plus is that they will not exactly be covering much ground over the month.

A lot of games are long jaunts for Swansea, simply because of their geographical location. Even so, visits to Liverpool and Watford over four days at the end of the month will not be fun for Paul Clement’s side - especially as both games are likely to be tough.

They may also come up against Everton at the wrong time. At the least, West Brom and Crystal Palace could be winnable games but City’s visit will be hard.

December could have been a hard month for Spurs. Their progression in the Champions League as group winners means they can write off the game against APOEL, which lessens the strain on their fitness. Even so, their recent form has been poor, and they cannot view games away at Watford, City and Burnley as positively as they would have done a few weeks ago.

Burnley aside, there is not much travelling. And at home, they should be able to beat the likes of Stoke, Brighton and Southampton. While West Ham is a derby, nothing about David Moyes’s reign so far suggests they will trouble Spurs.

Fans will be rejoicing about Watford’s game on December 23, a simple and potentially fun trip to Brighton. The rest of the month is also quite kind to supporters and the team, as their longest journey by far is a trip to Burnley - not exactly the other end of the country.

At home, they will be hoping for a decent return against Huddersfield, Leicester and Swansea. And given the form they have been in, Spurs will probably view the trip to Vicarage Road with a little bit of trepidation.

Crystal Palace aside, Alan Pardew has not been handed a kind slate of home fixtures for his first month as West Brom manager. United and Arsenal will inevitably be hard games, and Everton, based on Wednesday night, have more about them than the rest of the season has suggested.

Trips to Liverpool and Stoke are not exactly long distances, but Swansea preceeding the Liverpool game could make it tough in terms of tiredness.

God, it doesn’t look kind for David Moyes does it? A run of games against Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal over 10 days to follow a humbling at Goodison Park is not something he would have hoped for. And the month is capped off by an away game against Tottenham. It could be painful.

Away visits to Stoke and Bournemouth will not be easy either, although neither team is on exceptional form. West Ham will only really see the Newcastle game as eminently winnable of their slate of festive matches.

...retaliatingly introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!