OptiNews - Friday 25 to Thursday 31 August 2017

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:movie_camera:

Watch our match preview ahead of #SaintsFCU23s’ #PL2 clash with @Rovers this evening:

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...self-centeredly whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Does attack or defence win Premier League titles?

Show/hide article

Sir Alex Ferguson once claimed “attack wins you games, defence wins you titles” - but is that true?

Liverpool host Arsenal live on Sky Sports this Sunday and both sides have displayed potent attacks in the early stages of the season - but they have also shown defensive frailties.

So can teams with weaknesses at the back win the title? Yes they can.

Unsurprisingly, Premier League champions have typically been strong at both ends - but ultimately they’ve been better in attack.

Since 1995/96, the average champions have ranked 1.45 out of 20 teams for their goals scored, compared to an average rank of 2.41 for goals conceded.

In total, 14 out of 22 champions have had the strongest attack during the respective season - but only nine have had the best defence.

In fact, Sir Alex was the master for winning titles with an inferior defence - mitigated with a league-topping attack.

Manchester United only had the seventh best defence when they won the title in 1996/97, shipping 44 goals - Blackburn conceded fewer and finished in 13th place.

And Fergie continued in the same vein, having only the fourth best defence in 1998/99, the sixth best in 1999/00 and fifth best in 2012/13.

In each of those title-winning seasons, United scored more goals than any other team.

There have only ever been five ‘perfect champions’ over the last 22 years - having scored more goals and conceded fewer than any other team.

Manchester City’s class of 2011/12 were superior at both ends, as were Manchester United in 2007/08 and 2000/01, Chelsea during 2005/06 and Arsenal in 2003/04.

If the final table was based on the average rank of each club’s attack and defence, six of the previous 22 champions wouldn’t have won the league.

Manchester United would have finished fourth in 1996/97, behind would-be champions Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle.

But Arsenal would have had their 1997/98 title stripped, with United lifting the trophy instead - before the Gunners topped United during the 1999/00 campaign.

Again, United would have lost another title in Fergie’s final season at the helm during 2012/13, finishing third behind champions Chelsea and Arsenal.

Most recently, Tottenham would have won the Premier League for the last two seasons - stripping Leicester’s fairy-tale adventure and Antonio Conte’s title-winning Premier League season at Stamford Bridge in the process.

The average goals per game in the Premier League has increased marginally year on year for three consecutive seasons.

However, that 2.8 goals per game average in recent top-flight football is dwarfed by the 4.7 goals per game recorded in 1889/90.

Aston Villa scored a remarkable 128 goals in 1930/31 - more than any other top-flight side in the history of English football.

Despite their record goal haul, Villa still only finished the season as runners-up, behind Arsenal - who had scored 127 goals.

Arsenal will be hoping to rekindle that kind of goal-scoring form when they travel to Liverpool on Sunday, while Jurgen Klopp will be looking to inflict a second successive defeat upon their visitors.

Watch Liverpool v Arsenal live on Sky Sports Premier League from 3.30pm on Sunday

Go to the original article

...auspiciously churned out by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 25/08/2017 11:50:44

| | Huddersfield v Southampton predictions: Premier League preview, line-ups & betting tips101GREATGOALS |
| | Wolves Lessons Must Be Learned - PellegrinoVITALFOOTBALL |
|

| Inside Info: We spoke to a Terrier to get a Huddersfield fan’s take on the game against SouthamptonSBNATIONSTMARYSMUSINGS |
| | Ten Saints Get International CallsVITALFOOTBALL |
| | WHUFC |
| | Bertrand Gets England Call (25/8/17)VITALFOOTBALL |
| | Town taking on “best of the rest” Saints in second home gameICHUDDERSFIELD |

...credulously modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Get the thoughts of #SaintsFC boss Mauricio Pellegrino ahead of tomorrow’s #PL visit to #HTAFC:

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 10

...mirthfully invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 25/08/2017 12:50:58

| | Massive transfer news for Arsenal as star defender has met Arsenal chiefs – Gooner NowGOONERNOW |
| | Southampton linked with young forward, Tottenham also showing interestSPORTWITNESS |
| | Pellegrino ready to make more signingsREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | The Saints Injury News Is All Good!VITALFOOTBALL |
|

| Liverpool should make bid for Southampton’s Virgil van Dijk to ‘test the waters’ says John AldridgeIBTIMES |
| | Saints At Huddersfield Town The Preview - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Hoedt Set For Huddersfield Debut?VITALFOOTBALL |

...processionally hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton battling Tottenham for AC Milan striker | Southampton are set to go head to head with Tottenham for the signature of AC Milan youngster Riccardo Tonin. 
 25-08-2017 |

Older content

| Southampton predicted XI: Huddersfield (A)12 hours ago |
| Pellegrino ready to make more signings12 hours ago |
| Late decision to be made on Hoedt2 days ago |
| Southampton lodge offer for Nancy midfielder2 days ago |
| Southampton 0-2 Wolves: Match report2 days ago |
| Manager review: Wolves (H)2 days ago |
| CONFIRMED: Yoshida signs new contract2 days ago |
| Five things we learned – Wolves (H)2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Wolves (H)2 days ago |

...cold-bloodedly originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Hunter: We need to be more competitive

Show/hide article

Saints suffered a disappointing 3-0 defeat away to Wolves in their latest league outing on Monday, and Hunter wants to see a much-improved performance this evening.

“We need to get back to our way of playing,” he started.

“We need to be more competitive. We need to win a lot of the challenges that we didn’t on Monday and then we need to play our football.

“We’ve done a lot of work this week and I have to say the debrief from Wolves wasn’t very pleasant for the players - a lot of home truths were discussed.

“People talk about this league and it is a very tough league which presents different problems. We didn’t solve some of them on Monday and we need to do that on Friday.”

Rovers will arrive at Staplewood Campus full of confidence, having picked up two wins and ten goals in their opening two matches of the season.

And Hunter is more than aware of the challenge his men will face.

“It’ll be a tough game,” he continued.

“One of their coaches, David Dunn, is a friend of mine so I know they will be very well organised and difficult to break down.

“Obviously they’ve had a terrific start in their opening games, so we are expecting to face a very tough game.”

...constrictedly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Huddersfield Town v Southampton

Show/hide article

Huddersfield’s new signings Abdelhamid Sabiri and Florent Hadergjonaj will not be considered for selection so soon after joining the club.

Southampton will make a late decision on whether to hand a start to Wesley Hoedt following his move from Lazio.

Fellow centre back Virgil Van Dijk will not be included as he continues to be linked with a move away from St Mary’s.

Steve Wilson: "Huddersfield’s start to the season has been little short of phenomenal.

"Crystal Palace and Newcastle are not the best opponents they’ll play this season - but take nothing away from David Wagner and his men.

"The Terriers have made one of the best starts to a Premier League season ever by a newly promoted club - should they win again it’ll be the best since Bolton in 2001.

“Southampton have made a low-key start under Manuel Pellegrino - a frustrating goalless draw with Swansea, a rather fortunate win over West Ham, and then a strong-ish side beaten by Wolves in the Carabao Cup - all three games at home.”

Huddersfield Town head coach David Wagner: "We’re happy with the six points.

"The only thing we really wanted to find out was do we really have a chance.

"We know this is only a start. It means more or less nothing. It doesn’t help us on Saturday.

“Southampton is the next level. It is different class, a different category in the Premier League.”

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino on defender Virgil Van Dijk being linked with Chelsea: "I don’t have this information, I don’t want to give any opinion about that.

"Virgil’s situation (is that) nothing (has) changed, I have nothing to say.

"In the future it could be possible (that Van Dijk plays alongside new signing Wesley Hoedt) but we will never know what will happen in the future.

“We’ll expect the best from Wesley, from Virgil for us. I think all of them can help the team to be stronger and this is our goal right now.”

I think a draw here and that, on top of the two wins they have already got, represents a very good start for Huddersfield.

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

...exultingly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Yoshida: I want to be a role model

Show/hide article

Yoshida put pen to paper on a fresh three-year deal on Thursday, which would see his time with Saints extend to eight seasons.

Having become such an established part of the squad, the Japan international is excited about what lies ahead.

“I am 29 now and I think that’s a really good age for my career,” he said. "I hope it’s going to be a really special time for the club and we will achieve more and more. That’s why we need to fight for some achievements every day.

"I have been here for five years. The club trusts me and the manager trusts me as well, and that makes me have a really good feeling.

“I understand my position right now, and I would like to be the role model for the young lads. It’s not easy, because every day, for 24 hours, I have to be professional and give everything to myself and the club, but I am used to doing that.”

Having fought hard to earn a regular place in the starting line-up, Yoshida hopes he can continue to hold onto that spot.

“The previous three years I couldn’t play constantly, but I have done what I needed to do, and that’s why when the chance came I grabbed it,” he said.

“I don’t want to lose my place, of course, and every game, every moment, I have to fight for that. It makes me really stronger.”

...frozenly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Huddersfield Town vs Southampton: Team news

Show/hide article

Ahead of this weekend’s Premier League action, Sportsmail will be providing you with all you need to know about every fixture, with team news, provisional squads, betting odds and Opta stats. Here is all the information you need for Huddersfield Town’s home clash with Southampton.

Huddersfield manager David Wagner will not consider selecting new signings Abdelhamid Sabiri and Florent Hadergjonaj for Saturday’s Premier League clash against Southampton.

Wagner wants midfielder Sabiri and right-back Hadergjonaj to do some work in training before coming into contention for the trip to West Ham after the international break.

The Terriers have no fresh injury concerns following their Carabao Cup win over Rotherham but are still without midfielder Jonathan Hogg, forward Nahki Wells (both ankle) and defenders Martin Cranie (hip) and Jon Gorenc Stankovic (knee).

The last time that these two teams met was in December 2010 in the third tier of English football – Southampton won 4-1 that day.

These two sides last met in the top-flight back in December 1971; a season that Huddersfield finished bottom of Division One.

Huddersfield Town have started the season with two wins – the only other newly-promoted team to win their opening three games to a Premier League season were Bolton Wanderers in 2001-02.

The Terriers haven’t won their opening three league games of a season since the 1979-80 campaign, when they won the fourth tier; they last won their first three matches of a top-flight season in 1924-25, on their way to the second of three consecutive league titles.

Huddersfield have also kept a clean sheet in both of their Premier League games so far. The only previous occasion a newly-promoted side managed to do this in each of their opening three games in a Premier League season were Charlton Athletic in 1998-99.

Southampton have failed to score in seven of their last 10 Premier League games, scoring just seven goals from 138 shots in these matches (5.1%).

Saints have won more Premier League away games in 2017 (4 of 10) than they have at home (3 of 11).

23 of Huddersfield’s last 27 wins in league competition have been achieved by a one-goal margin.

Since the start of 2014-15, Fraser Forster has kept 34 clean sheets in 88 Premier League appearances (39% of matches) – more than Chelsea’s Thibaut Courtois (33 in 93 games) despite playing five games fewer.

Dusan Tadic has now played 100 Premier League games for Southampton and he has been involved in 39 goals (15 goals, 24 assists). The only Southampton players to have had a hand in more in their opening 100 PL apps for the club are Matt Le Tissier (80), Marian Pahars (50) and Rickie Lambert (43 in 75 apps).

...plainly thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 25/08/2017 13:51:14

| | Yoshida Signs New Three Year DealVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Huddersfield Town vs Southampton: Premier League match preview, likely line-ups and score predictionTHEBOOTROOM |
| | The making of Virgil van Dijk: ‘Quick, strong, confident’
and a handy strikerPLANETFOOTBALL |
| | Southampton boss quiet on Van Dijk as Chelsea talk intensifiesTEAMTALK |

...irregularly carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:two::four: hours to go!

Get the lowdown ahead of #SaintsFC’s first away game of the #PL season: http://sfcne.ws/HTAFCAPreview

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 0

...intangily erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Opposition View: Huddersfield Town

Show/hide article

The Terriers opened the Premier League campaign with a 4-0 away win over Crystal Palace, before beating Newcastle United 1-0 at home.

Add to that a Carabao Cup success against Rotherham United in midweek, and Wagner has reason to be pleased with his side.

"Our performances have been good so far and we’ve made our first steps. Every victory helps us to progress,” Wagner reflected.

“I was happy that our players came from behind against Rotherham because it showed our character and fighting attitude.”

“Southampton is a very, very good opponent and we know we’ll have to be at our very best to get a result on Saturday.

“We have to make the John Smith’s Stadium a tough place for opponents to come. We will try to do that and I know the fans will too.”

...aloofly introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton vs Huddersfield: Predicted Opposition XI | Southampton make their first trip to Huddersfield for the first time since the 2010/11 promotion season from League 
 25-08-2017 |

Older content

| Southampton battling Tottenham for AC Milan striker14 hours ago |
| Southampton predicted XI: Huddersfield (A)14 hours ago |
| Pellegrino ready to make more signings14 hours ago |
| Late decision to be made on Hoedt2 days ago |
| Southampton lodge offer for Nancy midfielder2 days ago |
| Southampton 0-2 Wolves: Match report2 days ago |
| Manager review: Wolves (H)2 days ago |
| CONFIRMED: Yoshida signs new contract2 days ago |
| Five things we learned – Wolves (H)2 days ago |

...feverishly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 25/08/2017 14:51:28

| | Vital Premier League Preview - 26th-27th August 2017VITALFOOTBALL |
| | New appeal from David Wagner to Town fans for Southampton clashICHUDDERSFIELD |
| | Saints new boy could featureCLUBCALL |
|

| Huddersfield Town PICK UP A COPY OF THE TERRIER AT THE SOUTHAMPTON MATCHHUDDERSFIELDTOWNAFC |
| | Saints boss won’t be drawn on Van DijkCLUBCALL |
| | Huddersfield Town BRING THE WHOLE FAMILY TO PPG CANALSIDE’S FANZONE ON SATURDAYHUDDERSFIELDTOWNAFC |
| | Wolverhampton boss expresses his pride following Southampton victory | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |

...reluctantly produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:speaking_head: “I feel like it’s my home and I’m very happy to continue my journey with Southampton.” #saintsfc http://sfcne.ws/MYQuotes2020

Retweets: 20

Favourites: 180

...balletically assembled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Premier League team news, odds and stats from every match this weekend

Show/hide article

Ahead of this weekend’s matches in the Premier League, Sportsmail brings you the latest squad news, odds and stats on every top flight fixture as it breaks.

Simply click on your team in the fixture list below to find out who is ruled out and who is making a return as well as all the key statistics surrounding your club’s fixture.

In or out? Keep up-to-date with all the latest team news and stats ahead of the weekend

...uxoriously given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Ahead of #SaintsFC’s trip to #HTAFC, we got the inside track on the Terriers from journalist @rorybenson: http://sfcne.ws/ITHTAFCA

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 4

...responsibly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Video: Pellegrino previews Huddersfield

Show/hide article

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...clatteringly brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Pellegrino: We need to bounce back

Show/hide article

Saints were knocked out at St Mary’s in the second round, as the Championship side beat them 2-0, but they have a chance to quickly put that defeat behind them with tomorrow’s trip to face the Premier League new boys.

“I’ve got the confidence that we will change,” said Pellegrino. "We have to react. Sometimes in this level when you are not focused for five or ten minutes you are gone, and we have to learn from Wednesday and keep going.

"Obviously, we want to bounce back. We know that we will have in front of us a difficult game. Huddersfield won the last two games and we know it will be really difficult in this pitch.

"They are an intelligent team with the ball and without the ball. Obviously, we know we have to improve on Wednesday night and use as a reference our first two games in the Premier League.

“We have to prepare well, because we don’t have much time to this game, but we are professional and prepared to compete.”

...unwisely introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!