OptiNews - Friday 29 December 2017 to Thursday 04 January 2018

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Saints defender set to return against Crystal Palace | Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino has claimed that Ryan Bertrand could be involved in the game against Crystal … 01-01-2018 |
| Southampton make signing Walcott their priority | According to a report from the Telegraph, Southampton have made signing Theo Walcott one of their top priorities. … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| Manchester United 0-0 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Celtic make offer for Southampton target2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Who was your man of the match vs Manchester United?2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Arsenal star Walcott wants to return to Southampton2 days ago |
| Southampton interested in Algerian international defender2 days ago |
| Southampton player ratings: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |

...paranoidly introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Virgil van Dijk reveals why he picked the number 4 shirt at Liverpool

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk has revealed why he picked the number 4 shirt at Liverpool after completing a £75million transfer to the club.

The centre-back wore the number 17 shirt at his former club Southampton, but admitted he always had his eye on the number 4.

Unfortunately for him Jordy Clasie already owned it, meaning he had to wait for his record-breaking transfer for a defender to win it back.

Speaking to liverpoolfc.com, Van Dijk said: "I had No.4 when I played for Groningen back in Holland, so I was always a big fan of No.4 anyway.

“Unfortunately at Southampton, my good friend Jordy Clasie had No.4, so I didn’t want to take it from him!”

Liverpool legend Sami Hyypia famously wore the number 4 shirt during his successful time on Merseyside, and much has been made of Van Dijk filling his shoes.

According to the Holland international, he is well aware of this connection, and admits it makes everything even more “special” as Hyypia also represented his former side Willem II prior to signing for Liverpool in 1999.

“I just like No.4,” he added. “Obviously here, Sami Hyypia had it here as well and played for my team where I played 10 years in Holland, Willem II, so it’s a bit special.”

Go to the original article…

...actually generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Video: Pellegrino previews Palace

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...significantly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

THE VERDICT: Saints give hope of a happier new year

Show/hide article…

Saints ended 2017 by producing a performance that suggested there is hope that 2018 will be better.

It seems strange that a year that provided such a highlight in terms of the history of the club – a rare major cup final appearance at Wembley – should feel like it has been one to forget.

But you would probably struggle to find many fans that, EFL Cup aside, have all that many positive things to say about the past 12 months.

A quick look at the stats shows why. Just ten Premier League wins in the calendar year- and that out of 40 matches.

It breaks down to six in 19 under Claude Puel, and four in 21 under Mauricio Pellegrino.

The change of manager, the Virgil van Dijk saga, a slightly mysterious change of ownership of the club. It’s been an odd year at St Mary’s, and one without many victories.

That Saints came away from Old Trafford perhaps feeling it was they rather than Manchester United that would have been the most worthy winners in this game did hint at better things to come.

After the hammering against Tottenham it was just what was needed. A show of character, of unity, of togetherness, and of course ability.

With van Dijk removed from the picture, and a couple of quality signings surely to arrive in January, things could get better.

They do need to. Results before kick-off at Old Trafford underlined still further just how close to peril Saints remain.

But this was much better, from the team and the manager, who made brave calls, and found a formation that really worked with a 4-4-1-1 providing both a solid base and a springboard for attack.

All eyes were on Alex McCarthy in the first half.

Pellegrino’s bold decision to leave out Fraser Forster after 76 consecutive Premier League starts and play a keeper who hadn’t started a top flight match for more than 18 months inevitably thrust him into the spotlight.

He will have been grateful that he didn’t have too much to do, and when he needed it McCarthy also got a bit of luck.

There was not much he could do on four minutes as Juan Mata’s right wing cross picked out the head of Romelu Lukaku but from six yards out and under little pressure he headed over with almost his last action of the game as a head injury saw him stretchered off.

McCarthy made his first save on 27 minutes, blocking Mata’s low drive with his legs and happily seeing the ball ricochet back to him off of Sam McQueen.

He came flying out for Ashley Young’s cross two minutes later, didn’t get to it, but Marcus Rashford headed wide.

James Ward-Prowse forced him into saves from a low shot following Sofiane Boufal’s right by-line cut back, as well as a free kick, while Wesley Hoedt might have scored with a free header six yards out that he glanced well wide.

Saints survived a penalty shout as Jesse Lingard flicked the ball up in the box and it clearly struck the arm of Maya Yoshida but referee Craig Pawson gave him the benefit of the doubt, before the Manchester United man failed to work McCarthy with a deft header and he made a routine stop from Nemanja Matic.

Saints continued to perform excellently in the second half and had the better chances to win it.

Just five minutes after the restart they broke forward and Ward-Prowse found Shane Long with a low right wing ball. It wasn’t the most convincing side footed finish from the striker but it was on target and De Gea was very relieved to see an odd save with his leg fly over the bar rather than into the net.

Dusan Tadic had a couple of opportunities he couldn’t quite convert, heading over the bar and then shooting wide from just inside the area.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s shot was an easy save for McCarthy while Paul Pogba poked home at the far post but was offside, though had he not added a touch to Matic’s shot which deflected off Yoshida and McCarthy’s fingertips it may have been a goal.

But it would have been so cruel had Saints not come away with at least a point from this match.

At least there is hope of a happier new year.

...incoherently generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Ashley Young elbow shocked me, says Dusan Tadic

Show/hide article…

Southampton’s Dusan Tadic says he was shocked to be the victim of an elbow from Ashley Young during Saturday’s goalless draw at Manchester United.

Television footage emerged of United wing-back Young appearing to elbow Tadic in the stomach as the hosts prepared to defend a corner in the second half of the Premier League clash at Old Trafford.

Young, 32, was charged by the Football Association with violent conduct and has since accepted a three-match ban.

Saints midfielder Tadic, who made little of the matter on the field at the time, gave his version of events to reporters after the game.

The Serbian said: “Yes, he elbowed me and I asked him, ‘Why did you do this?’. I didn’t really understand. I can fall down but it was really strange because I didn’t expect that from him.”

Tadic says he did not provoke Young.

“No, no, no, nothing,” said the 29-year-old. "I was surprised, and then next corner I asked him, ‘Why did you do that?’, and he said, ‘I didn’t do anything’.

"I said, ‘You didn’t do anything? You elbowed me in the stomach without reason’.

“OK, if you want to push it’s different, but an elbow is different.”

The incident was not spotted by referee Craig Pawson.

Asked if Young should have have been sent off, Tadic said: "Yes, but normally you cannot see that.

“I’m disappointed about that because you don’t expect that from him, because he’s an experienced player and he cannot do that I think.”

Southampton have not won in eight matches but the result was still an encouraging one after their 5-2 thrashing by Tottenham on Boxing Day.

“We showed great character and in some moments we could have taken three points, but we are happy to get a point against such a good team,” said Tadic.

The game was also Southampton’s first since it was announced defender Virgil van Dijk would be joining Liverpool for £75m in January.

Tadic hopes that money will now be reinvested in the squad. “I hope so,” he said. “I think the club will do that. We will see.”

...communicatively coined by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Tadic baffled by Young elbow

Show/hide article…

DUSAN Tadic admits he “didn’t understand” why Manchester United’s Ashley Young elbowed him in the stomach during Saints’ 0-0 draw at Old Trafford.

Referee Craig Pawson did not spot the incident at the time but Young has found himself in trouble with the FA after he appeared to dig an elbow into Tadic during the goalless draw.

The Serbia international said: “Yes, he elbowed me and I asked him ‘why did you do this?’. I didn’t really understand. I can fall down but it was really strange because I didn’t expect that from him."

The 29-year-old expected better behaviour from an experienced player like Young, 32, who has been charged with violent conduct.

“I’m disappointed about that because you don’t expect that from him, because he’s an experienced player and he cannot do that I think,” he said.

The incident took place as a corner came into the United box early in the second half and Tadic insists there was no provocation on his part.

He said: “No, no, no. Nothing. I was surprised, and then the next corner I asked him ‘why did you do that?’ and he said ‘I didn’t do anything’. I said ‘you didn’t do anything? You elbowed me in the stomach without reason’. Okay, if you want to push it’s different, but an elbow is different."

Despite that nasty event, Tadic came away pleased with a hard-earned point at United.

He said: “Yes I think we deserved a point. We showed great character and in some moments we could have taken three points, but we are happy to get a point against such a good team.

“I think it’s very important because in the last game we conceded five goals and now we have shown we have the mentality to keep a clean sheet and be more dangerous," he added.

“We had some chances and maybe we should have taken three points but I think we need to be happy with the point.”

Now Tadic has urged Saints to build on the positives at Old Trafford against Crystal Palace tomorrow night.

He said: “We have quality, we need to believe in ourselves and to play with more courage.

“It’s a very important game for us, I hope we will take three points, they’re a very strong team and difficult to beat, but I hope we can do that and we need to prepare well for that."

...glintingly fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by pbsportswriter tweet

@pbsportswriter - Paul Brown

#mufc’s Ashley Young charged with violent conduct for elbowing #saintsfc’s Dusan Tadic. Has until 5pm today to respond

Retweets: 21

Favourites: 24

...vaguely fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Southampton v Crystal Palace preview: Alex McCarthy to keep place

Show/hide article…

Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy looks set to keep his place as Southampton host Crystal Palace on Tuesday.

The 28-year-old, who signed for Saints in the summer of 2016, was given his opportunity against Manchester United on Saturday with Fraser Forster paying the price for an unconvincing run of form.

McCarthy did well enough to hold off United in a 0-0 draw and should hang on to the gloves when his former club Palace visit St Mary’s.

“Obviously the goalkeeper is a special position and you have to support them but most of my players have had an opportunity in the Premier League and nobody can complain about that,” said Saints boss Mauricio Pellegringo.

“We decide to change some players to give the opportunities to others and now Alex has to show his capacity, his quality on the pitch. In football nothing is fixed, everything is changing all the time. I try to use the moment and the player I think is better, I try to give the opportunity.”

Despite the encouraging nature of their point at Old Trafford, Southampton are now winless in their past eight games and eyeing the January window eagerly after selling Virgil van Dijk for £75m.

Palace have lost just one of their last 10 Premier League games and came close to beating Manchester City last time out, with Luka Milivojevic seeing a late penalty saved in a 0-0 draw.

Saints are still without striker Charlie Austin, who is suspended. Left-back Ryan Bertrand (hamstring) could be back in contention.

Palace hope to have Ruben Loftus-Cheek, James McArthur and Jeffrey Schlupp available after they missed Sunday’s 0-0 draw with Manchester City.

Jason Puncheon and Scott Dann also suffered injuries against City, meaning that with Mamadou Sakho and Joel Ward also injured, Martin Kelly and Damien Delaney will vie for selection in central defence.

Southampton have won seven and lost none of their eight Premier League home meetings with Crystal Palace, scoring 17 goals and conceding just five.

Since their return to the Premier League in 2012-13, Saints have won more league games against Crystal Palace than they have vs any other side (7/9).

Southampton’s 0-0 draw away to Man Utd was their first shutout in the Premier League in 12 games. Indeed, it was Alex McCarthy’s first in the top-flight since April 2013 for Reading versus QPR.

However, this match was the 16th time in Southampton’s last 33 competitive games (since April 1st) that they have failed to score (48%).

Mauricio Pellegrino has won just four of his 21 Premier League games as Southampton manager (19%) - the third worst win percentage of any Saints manager in the competition behind Steve Wigley (6.2%) and Harry Redknapp (18.2%).

Christian Benteke has scored five goals in his last six Premier League games against Southampton.

That was a big result for Southampton against Manchester United. I watched them against Tottenham and they didn’t look like they were fussed, they got turned over quite easily and I was worried for the manager. But he made big decisions at Old Trafford.

Fraser Forster has been waiting to be dropped and it’s about eight games too late I think. He is probably a better keeper but sometimes you need to bring a player out of the firing line. His confidence was low, he wasn’t making saves, and he probably needs a couple of weeks out then to go back in again. He hasn’t become a bad goalkeeper, his confidence has just gone. It was a big decision and it worked for them with Alex McCarthy making a couple of really big saves.

Crystal Palace were quite comfortable against Manchester City and could have won it at the end. They have been in decent form and I think they will win this.

...subtly instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Injuries are taking toll on Crystal Palace, says Roy Hodgson

Show/hide article…

Roy Hodgson has conceded Crystal Palace are “massively stretched”, as they prepare to visit Southampton on Tuesday.

The Eagles became only the second Premier League team this season to take points from Manchester City when they held the runaway leaders to a 0-0 draw on Sunday, but they also lost Scott Dann and Jason Puncheon to injury.

Dann’s absence is particularly damaging at a time when fellow defenders Mamadou Sakho and Joel Ward are also unfit and, against City, it led to full-back Martin Kelly playing in central defence.

Tuesday’s fixture at St Mary’s represents their third in six days and, while they hope James McArthur and Ruben Loftus-Cheek will again be fit, their hosts will have had an additional day’s rest for only their second match in a week.

“We’re massively stretched,” said the 70-year-old. "Not just at the moment: going forward.

"Sakho’s likely to be out for a few weeks to come with a quite serious injury, Joel Ward is still recovering, and there’s no sign of him recovering in the next few days, and then we’ve lost Scott Dann, we’ve lost Jason Puncheon.

"I’m afraid we’ve stretched our resources to the absolute limit. That’s why it was very nice to see three players who’ve not had many chances, Jaido Riedewald, Tim Fosu-Mensah and Patrick van Aanholt come in and do as well as they did [against City].

"We will recover one or two players who were unable to play, before the Southampton game.

“Scott Dann’s injury doesn’t look good, that’s for sure. It’s a serious knee injury. How serious it’ll turn out to be we’ll have to wait and see.”

There had been suggestions loanee Fosu-Mensah could return to parent club Manchester United, but Hodgson insisted he expects the promising defender to stay.

The boss is also yet to explore whether a further defender will be recruited to cover their growing injury list.

“I don’t know anything about that: we’re very happy with Tim Fosu-Mensah so I don’t know where that story’s come from,” said Hodgson.

"We don’t have unlimited resources, so the subject of buying a centre-back’s never come up, because we weren’t expecting both Mamadou Sakho and Scott Dann to be out for long periods. Who knows now?

“There’ll be discussions; football’s an ever-revolving subject. It’s not something we’ve contemplated up to now.”

...drenchedly conceived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Liverpool new boy Virgil van Dijk compared to Harry Kane: Jamie Redknapp makes bold claim

Show/hide article…

That’s according to former Reds midfielder Jamie Redknapp.

The Dutchman officially became a Liverpool player when the transfer window opened today after it was announced that the club had agreed a deal with Southampton last week.

The 26-year-old is the most expensive defender in history and is in line to make his debut this weekend against fierce rivals Everton in the FA Cup.

Kane has been linked with a move to La Liga giants Real Madrid and Redknapp insists if the England international was to move on it would take a massive fee to tempt Spurs to sell.

“If Liverpool are signing Virgil van Dijk for £75m, then what does that make Harry Kane worth?” he told The Daily Mail.

...consumedly given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Virgil van Dijk models the Liverpool FC kit for first time | Daily

Show/hide article…

This is the moment £75 million pound man Virgil van Dijk models his brand new Liverpool FC kit for first time and reveals his new squad number after completing his move from Southampton.

...bewilderingly costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

It was a memorable night for #SaintsFC, and especially @JakeHesketh, when #CPFC visited in the League Cup last seas… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947889331917615104

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 4

...self-righteously built by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 17:58:50

|

| Photos: New Liverpool FC signing trains at Melwood for the first timeSPORTREVIEWCOM |
| | What Dejan Lovren did when asked about Liverpool signing Virgil van Dijk in June 2017GIVEMESPORT |
| | Tadic - we need to play with more courageBELFASTTELE |
| | Manchester United vs Southampton: what we learntITSROUNDANDITSWHITE |

...indebtedly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton Predicted XI: Crystal Palace (H) | Southampton will be hoping to kick their 2018 off with a bang by securing a much-needed victory over Crystal Palace … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| Saints defender set to return against Crystal Palace17 hours ago |
| Southampton make signing Walcott their priority17 hours ago |
| Manchester United 0-0 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Celtic make offer for Southampton target2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Who was your man of the match vs Manchester United?2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Arsenal star Walcott wants to return to Southampton2 days ago |
| Southampton interested in Algerian international defender2 days ago |

...meekly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| A New Year ! It’s Time To Rally Round The Flag | Virtually the entire 12 months of 2017 plus a few going back into 2016 saw major unrest in the Saints fanbase, the … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United The Reaction2 days ago |
| Saints At Manchester United The Verdict2 days ago |
| Manchester United 0 - 0 Southampton - Player Ratings and Reports2 days ago |
| Saints At Manchester United The Preview2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United Opposition View3 days ago |
| Austin Out For Two Months3 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United Preview3 days ago |
| Saints Ready To Go Back To Liverpool To Spend Van Dijk Money3 days ago |
| Saints Braced To Lose Yet Another Star To Liverpool !4 days ago |
| Seats Available For Man Utd Trip With Southampton Away Travel4 days ago |

...eagerly moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Liverpool officially unveil world record signing Virgil van Dijk - first snaps in Reds kit

Show/hide article…

The world record fee for a defender was agreed with Southampton on the 27 December, but with the transfer window only opening today, the Dutchman had to wait before his official unveiling.

The Reds are in action this afternoon away to Burnley, but Van Dijk will have to wait until Friday’s FA Cup Merseyside derby before he can play.

Van Dijk said: “With the history at the club and everything around it - even the training ground and stuff - it is just a perfect, perfect match for me, and for my family as well.

"Obviously there is a lot of money being paid, but I can’t do anything about that money. It’s only the market.

“The only thing I can do is just work hard, do the good things and be 100 per cent every day. That’s what I definitely want to do - and I am going to do.”

CLICK THROUGH THE GALLERY ABOVE TO SEE THE OFFICIAL SNAPS OF VAN DIJK AS A LIVERPOOL PLAYER.

...leeringly dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

What Ashley Young said to Dusan Tadic after elbowing him at Old Trafford

Show/hide article…

Dusan Tadic has revealed details of the on-pitch conversation he had with Ashley Young moments after the Manchester United star appeared to elbow him.

Young has been hit with a three-match ban after he accepted a violent conduct charge against the Southampton midfielder in the goalless draw on Saturday.

The 32-year-old wing-back was issued with the charge by the Football Association, which he chose not to contest.

But Tadic alleges that Young refused to own up to what he had done when he confronted him at Old Trafford, despite him now appearing to take responsibility for his actions.

“Yes, he elbowed me and I asked him ‘why did you do this?’ I didn’t really understand. I can fall down, but it was really strange because I didn’t expect that from him,” said Tadic.

"Normally you cannot see that. I’m disappointed about that because you don’t expect that from him, because he’s an experienced player and he cannot do that I think.

“I was surprised, and then next corner I asked him ‘why did you do that?’ and he said ‘I didn’t do anything.’”

Young will miss Manchester United’s New Year’s Day match at Everton plus home games against Derby (FA Cup) and Stoke as a result of his ban.

A Football Association spokesperson said: "Ashley Young will be suspended for Manchester United’s next three matches.

“He accepted a violent conduct charge following an off-the-ball incident during yesterday’s game against Southampton, but argued the suspension was excessive. This was rejected by a Regulatory Commission.”

...inattentively generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Southampton v Crystal Palace

Show/hide article…

Southampton goalkeeper Alex McCarthy could again be preferred to Fraser Forster after recording a clean sheet against Manchester United on Saturday.

Ryan Bertrand might return from a hamstring problem but Charlie Austin is still suspended, as well as injured.

Crystal Palace trio Ruben Loftus-Cheek, James McArthur and Jeffrey Schlupp could all return from injury.

However, Jason Puncheon and Scott Dann were injured against Manchester City on New Year’s Eve and will miss out.

Tony Husband: "Southampton enter a big month, starting with this game. Mauricio Pellegrino’s future as manager probably hangs on the transfer business from Virgil van Dijk’s record move and results in the next few weeks.

"Saints have only won three league games at home since beating Palace 3-1 in April and, having become established as a top-half side since their return to the Premier League, the club has slipped back a step. They’re at a crossroads.

"Palace have been in a relegation fight all season, but it’s remarkable how quickly they got back among the pack.

“Roy Hodgson doesn’t have a vast choice of players. One wonders how much the draw with Manchester City will have taken out of them barely 48 hours before this game?”

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino: "We don’t have Virgil [van Dijk] now, we have to try and sign a couple of targets to be stronger.

"We never know because I can’t control the market. It is not easy because the important players are not too easy to bring.

“In six months or one year, maybe we can talk if it was positive or not to sell Virgil.”

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson: "I’m afraid we’ve stretched our resources to the absolute limit.

"We don’t have unlimited resources, so the subject of buying a centre-back has never come up, because we weren’t expecting both Mamadou Sakho and Scott Dann to be out for long periods. Who knows now?

“There’ll be discussions; football’s an ever-revolving subject. It’s not something we’ve contemplated up to now.”

Crystal Palace ran Manchester City so close at Selhurst Park on Sunday and gave Arsenal a scare in the Gunners’ 3-2 win at Selhurst Park on 29 December, but Roy Hodgson’s squad is quite thin and that tends to show at this time of year as the games come thick and fast.

...dotingly given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 18:59:28

| | Burnley v Liverpool LIVE score updates from Premier League clash at Turf MoorDAILYRECORD |
|

| Virgil van Dijk completes €84 million Liverpool moveIRELANDCOM |
| | In pictures - Van Dijk’s first day at LiverpoolGOLIVERPOOL |
| | Former Chelsea target explains decision to join Premier League rivalsFOOTBALLLONDON |
| | Southampton v Crystal Palace Preview: Saints Bid For First Win In Nine Premier League GamesTHESPORTSMAN |
| | Report: Walcott has plenty of EPL suitors for Jan. moveCNNSI |
| | Virgil van Dijk’s Liverpool debut delayed: When new LFC signing will featureCAUGHTOFFSIDE |
| | More exciting news for Liverpool, journalist tips Reds to land £90m-rated starCAUGHTOFFSIDE |

...shyly forged by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from London Evening Standard article

Van Dijk defends £75m world-record Liverpool transfer fee

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk claims Liverpool is the “perfect” club for him after his world-record £75million transfer from Southampton was officially completed.

The 26-year-old’s switch from the Saints was agreed last week, but with the January transfer window now open his deal, understood to be worth £75m - the highest fee ever paid for a defender, is now sealed.

The Dutchman told Liverpool’s official website: “With the history at the club and everything around it - even the training ground and stuff - it is just a perfect, perfect match for me, and for my family as well.”

Van Dijk, who has signed what Liverpool have said is a “long-term contract” at Anfield, is not concerned about his price tag weighing heavy.

The transfer fee eclipses the £54m spent by Manchester City to sign England full-back Kyle Walker from Tottenham last summer.

“Obviously there is a lot of money being paid, but I can’t do anything about that money, I can’t do anything about the price - nobody can,” the Holland international added.

"It’s only the market. The only thing I can do is just work hard, do the good things and be 100 per cent every day. That’s what I definitely want to do - and I am going to do.

"I am happy to be here and I can’t wait to get started. I think the most important thing is the size of the club, the culture of the club, the players, the manager and obviously the fans, who make the club this special.

“I think this is the right time for me to be here and to develop all sorts of aspects of my game. I am looking forward to doing that, that’s the main thing.”

In order to reach that ambition of improving, Van Dijk believes he is working under the right man in Jurgen Klopp.

The former Groningen and Celtic defender, who will wear the number four shirt at Liverpool, said: "Since he’s come in, I think he has made a lot of progress until now.

"I think it is only hopefully going to get better and better. Hopefully I can contribute to that as well and keep working hard.

"Everybody obviously from a Liverpool perspective knows how he is; how lively he is, how he can make players better and give them confidence as well.

“It just suits me as well. I think he can make me a better player and I am just looking forward to working with him.”

Van Dijk was unavailable for Liverpool’s New Year’s Day game at Burnley because his registration was not concluded in time.

...indelicately carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!