OptiNews - Friday 29 December 2017 to Thursday 04 January 2018

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Match Preview: Saints vs Palace

Show/hide article…

Get set for Southampton’s big Premier League clash at home to Crystal Palace by checking out our match preview…

It’s a big game for both sides, who are uncomfortably close to the Premier League’s bottom three and in need of points to edge clear of trouble.

Saints start the game in the slightly happier position, one point above their opponents, but each will come into the game with a sense of confidence.

While Southampton turned in an impressive display at Old Trafford to earn a point at Manchester United on Saturday, Palace came close to beating leaders Manchester City at home on New Year’s Eve, eventually settling for a 0-0 draw of their own.

Southampton: Right-back Cédric (ankle) and striker Charlie Austin (hamstring) remain sidelined, but Mauricio Pellegrino is hopeful that left-back Ryan Bertrand (hamstring) will be fit to return for the first time since the trip to Chelsea in mid-December.

Crystal Palace: Manager Roy Hodgson is set to be without defender Scott Dann and former Saints midfielder Jason Puncheon, who were both injured in the draw with Manchester City. The Palace boss is also without defenders Mamadou Sakho and Joel Ward, who both remain sidelined.

FORM GUIDE

Dušan Tadić remains one of Saints’ most creative threats, with his recent goal at Spurs taking his tally to three, alongside two assists. Pierre-Emile Højbjerg’s output in the centre of midfield has also been impressive recently – he had more touches, tackles and times gained possession than any Saints or United player at Old Trafford, while he was also the most accurate passer of either side and had more touches than any of his teammates.

Top scorers: Charlie Austin (6), Steven Davis (3), Manolo Gabbiadini (3), Dušan Tadić (3)

Most assists: Nathan Redmond (3), Ryan Bertrand (3), Dušan Tadić (2)

Palace have become much more of a threat going forward under Hodgson, especially in recent weeks. Bakery Sako is their top scorer, but there is also plenty of danger elsewhere, and much of the Eagles’ creative work often flows through the likes of Wilfried Zaha and Andros Townsend.

September 2017: Crystal Palace 0-1 Southampton (Davis)

April 2017: Southampton 3-1 Crystal Palace (Redmond, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse)

December 2016: Crystal Palace 3-0 Southampton

September 2016: Southampton 2-0 Crystal Palace (Austin, Hesketh) (League Cup)

DID YOU KNOW?

– Southampton have won seven and lost none of their eight Premier League home meetings with Crystal Palace, scoring 17 goals and conceding just five.

– Since their return to the Premier League in 2012-13, Saints have won more league games against Crystal Palace than they have vs any other side (7/9).

NOT AT THE GAME?

Don’t worry if you can’t make it to St Mary’s! Relax at home and follow along with our interactive match centre at southamptonfc.com, where we will have all the build-up, as well as in-game updates and free live audio commentary.

Additionally, be sure to follow us on our various social channels for behind-the-scenes access and further updates:

Go to the original article…

...merrily developed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:two::four: hours to go!

Get set for #SaintsFC’s first match of the new year by checking out our #CPFC match preview: http://sfcne.ws/PreviewCPH

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 4

...reprehensively sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Gallery: Saints get set for Palace

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...gallantly fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 19:59:41

| | Saints defender in race to be fit for Palace clashCROYDONADVERTISER |
| | What Ashley Young said to Southampton star after vicious elbow, Manchester United star given three-match banCAUGHTOFFSIDE |
| | Southampton make signing Walcott their priorityREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Van Dijk: 'Liverpool perfect match for me’SPORTSMOLE |
| | Liverpool formally unveil former Celtic defender Virgil van DijkSCOTS |
| | Virgil van Dijk says Liverpool FC are ‘perfect’ for himICNORTHWALES |
| | Van Dijk speaks about his first Anfield experience following viral clipEMPIREOFTHEKOP |

...dutifully formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Virgil van Dijk explains how Klopp persuaded him to join Liverpool

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk has explained how the ‘Klopp factor’ persuaded him to turn his back on rampant Manchester City.

The defender completed a £75m world record move to Liverpool on Monday, but immediately faced questions from Manchester way over his ambition, after deciding against a move to the side who have already virtually wrapped up the title.

But even though the future looks bright at the Etihad under Pep Guardiola, the Dutch international star is adamant that Reds boss Klopp also has the X-factor – and is on the verge of delivering something special at Anfield.

“Since he’s come in, I think he has made a lot of progress and I think it is only going to get better and better. Hopefully I can contribute to that as well,” he said of Klopp.

“Everybody from a Liverpool perspective knows how lively he is, how he can make players better and give them confidence. It just suits me as well.

“I think he can make me a better player and I am just looking forward to working with him. I think this is the right time for me to be here and to develop all sorts of aspects of my game.”

Van Dijk is convinced Klopp will deliver trophies at Liverpool, just as he did at previous club Dortmund, where he smashed Bayern Munich dominance in the Bundesliga.

“Every player wants to win trophies and, with the squad we have and the progress the club is making, I think we are very close to it. Obviously we still need to do it. We will see what the future brings,” he added.

“There is a lot of quality up front. I think the whole team is full of quality. They’ve been showing it already throughout the season.

“I am happy to be here and I can’t wait to get started. I think the most important thing is the size of the club, the culture of the club, the players, the manager and obviously the fans, who make the club this special.

“With the history at the club and everything around it – even the training ground and stuff – it is just a perfect, perfect match for me, and for my family as well.”

...hypnotically brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton in January - My transfer window wishlist | So, 2018 is upon us and the January transfer window has begun. Southampton have endured a massively underwhelming … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| Southampton Predicted XI: Crystal Palace (H)19 hours ago |
| Saints defender set to return against Crystal Palace19 hours ago |
| Southampton make signing Walcott their priority19 hours ago |
| Manchester United 0-0 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Celtic make offer for Southampton target2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Who was your man of the match vs Manchester United?2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Arsenal star Walcott wants to return to Southampton2 days ago |

...unpleasantly developed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:camera_flash:

Check out our image gallery from Staplewood, as #SaintsFC prepared for the visit of #CPFC:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947928163518177280

Favourites: 2

...platonically sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Stat Pack: Saints vs Palace

Show/hide article…

We bring you some of the key statistics and facts ahead of Southampton’s home Premier League match with Crystal Palace…

– Southampton have won seven and lost none of their eight Premier League home meetings with Crystal Palace, scoring 17 goals and conceding just five.

– Indeed, in the top-flight, the Eagles’ last away win against Southampton came in November 1990, in a 3-2 success at the Dell, thanks to goals from Ian Wright (2) and Mark Bright.

– Since their return to the Premier League in 2012/13, Saints have won more league games against Crystal Palace than against any other side, claiming seven out of a possible nine victories.

– After a run of eight consecutive defeats on the road in the Premier League, the Eagles have since gone four unbeaten, winning one and drawing three.

– Palace have netted four goals in their last two away games in the Premier League, which is more than in their previous 12 combined, when they managed only three.

– Southampton’s 0-0 draw away to Manchester United was their first clean sheet in the Premier League in 12 games. Indeed, it was Alex McCarthy’s first in the top-flight since April 2013, for Reading against QPR.

– Roy Hodgson has lost his last three Premier League matches against Southampton without his sides scoring a goal, including a 1-0 defeat earlier this season.

– The only player to score a Premier League goal against Southampton under Hodgson is Tim Sherwood, in October 1997.

– Beware of Christian Benteke, though… He has scored five goals in his last six Premier League games against Southampton.

...apprehensibly formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 20:59:54

| | GIANLUCADIMARZIO |
| | Saints defender set to return against Crystal PalaceREADSOUTHAMPTON |

...graphically given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Liverpool News: Coutinho and Salah update, Van Dijk snapped in kit, Goretzka transfer hope

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp has issued an update on Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah

Liverpool were without star duo Philippe Coutinho and Mohamed Salah for their trip to Burnley this afternoon.

Reds fans went into meltdown after seeing the Brazilian’s name missing from the matchday squad.

The double absence didn’t prove costly, as Liverpool ran out 2-1 winners at Turf Moor.

Before the clash, Jurgen Klopp issued an update on the pair.

He said: "Phil [Coutinho] and Mo [Salah] aren’t available, that’s why they are not in the squad. [They’re] both injured and [that’s] not too cool but that’s how it is.

”The other changes are because we wanted to bring in fresh legs, we wanted to find the right formation for this game today, the right tactics - all that stuff."

...tartly given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Our Predict The Score competition for #CPFC is open!

Enter for the chance to win a signed #SaintsFC shirt: http://sfcne.ws/PTSCPH1718

Favourites: 6

...wretchedly instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 22:00:09

| | Roles Reversed: 2 Liverpool players who need to move to Southampton to kickstart their career | | Where football …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Man United boss Jose Mourinho provides Romelu Lukaku injury update101GREATGOALS |
|

| NEWS | Way confirms wish to extend Olomola stayYEOVILTOWNFCOFFICIAL |
| | Jürgen Klopp on when Virgil van Dijk will make LFC debutLIVFCNET |
| | A New Year ! It’s Time To Rally Round The Flag - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Last gasp Ragnar Klavan strike keeps Liverpool on a rollIRELANDCOM |
| | “Bench awaits” for £75m Van Dijk as Liverpool fans praise “top quality” defensive starCAUGHTOFFSIDE |

...vacillatorily instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Yeovil keen to keep Olufela Olomola | Yeovil Town are keen to keep hold of Southampton youngster Olufela Olomola for the foreseeable future. The promising … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| Southampton in January - My transfer window wishlist21 hours ago |
| Southampton Predicted XI: Crystal Palace (H)21 hours ago |
| Saints defender set to return against Crystal Palace21 hours ago |
| Southampton make signing Walcott their priority21 hours ago |
| Manchester United 0-0 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Celtic make offer for Southampton target2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |
| Who was your man of the match vs Manchester United?2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester United (A)2 days ago |

...risquely given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Manchester United issue Romelu Lukaku injury update

Show/hide article…

Romelu Lukaku is expected to return from injury when Manchester United take on Stoke on January 15, boss Jose Mourinho has confirmed.

Lukaku needed oxygen as he was taken off on a stretcher after a clash of heads with Southampton defender Wesley Hoedt, report the Manchester Evening News.

Mourinho said after the game he expected Lukaku to miss the New Year’s Day trip to Everton and FA Cup third round visit of Derby on Friday night but was hopeful the 24-year-old would be available for the Stoke encounter.

Anthony Martial started at Everton in Lukaku’s absence and Mourinho provided an update on the United number nine before kick-off.

“I would say a week,” Mourinho told Sky Sports. "It’s nothing really important - just a little protection, but no problem.

"If we don’t have a player like Lukaku or a normal replacement like Zlatan, we have to play with the qualities we have, so we have to forget that we have to play without a target man because we don’t have.

"We have what we have. We trust the players. The players are giving everything like they have done from the first minute of the season.

“No Lukaku and no Ibrahimovic means we have no number nine as you normally call a target man that we usually play, so we have to change.”

...tolerably hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s encouraging home record against #CPFC is among the facts that feature in our pre-match stat pack: http://sfcne.ws/StatsCPH1718

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 5

...solely pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/01/2018 23:00:23

| | These 3 Liverpool flops must be fearing for their future after £75 million signing | | Where football transfer …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Glovers to consider permanent bid for OlomolaSOMERSETLIVE |
| | Matt Le Tissier has transfer advice for SouthamptonHEREISTHECITY |
|

| Could Virgil van Dijk Finally Be On His Way Out Of Southampton?SPORTSCOURANT |

...heartily fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The Ugly Inside News for Southampton

New content from (- The Ugly Inside News for Southampton)

| Train Chaos For FA CupTrip To Fulham | Saints fans planning on travelling by train to Fulham might wish to reconsider, with the main line from Southampton … 01-01-2018 |

Older content…

| A New Year ! It’s Time To Rally Round The Flaga day ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United The Reaction2 days ago |
| Saints At Manchester United The Verdict2 days ago |
| Manchester United 0 - 0 Southampton - Player Ratings and Reports2 days ago |
| Saints At Manchester United The Preview2 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United Opposition View3 days ago |
| Austin Out For Two Months3 days ago |
| The Ugly Inside TV ! Saints At Manchester United Preview3 days ago |
| Saints Ready To Go Back To Liverpool To Spend Van Dijk Money3 days ago |
| Saints Braced To Lose Yet Another Star To Liverpool !4 days ago |

...fallaciously carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from London Evening Standard article

Klopp backs £75m Van Dijk to boost Liverpool after defensive drama

Show/hide article…

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admits the arrival of £75million defender Virgil van Dijk will help “a lot” after watching his side almost throw away two points at Burnley.

Leading through Sadio Mane’s brilliant second-half strike, the Reds conceded an 87th-minute equaliser when substitute Sam Vokes flicked on a cross for Johann Berg Gudmundsson to nod in unmarked from three yards.

However, Ragnar Klavan - one of the players most under threat after Van Dijk’s arrival was officially confirmed on Monday - was the unlikely match-winner when he popped up at the far post to nod in from close range.

“I was never in doubt about the character of my boys,” said Klopp.

"I never thought we had a defence problem or thought we need an extra player though Virgil will help us a lot.

“We are fourth in the table, absolutely OK. We need to keep the distance not bigger to the teams ahead of us, if we can make it smaller then it is better.”

With three of Liverpool’s ‘Fab Four’ absent - top scorer Mohamed Salah (groin) and Philippe Coutinho (groin) injured and Roberto Firmino rested - more responsibility was placed on Mane and he delivered.

It was only his second league goal since August but despite injury worries over two of his star players Klopp is happy to allow the Senegal international - and Salah - to fly Ghana for the Confederation of African Football Player of the Year awards on Thursday, 24 hours before a Merseyside derby FA Cup tie at home to Everton.

“We have everything organised. We have two of the three best African players in our squad,” added Klopp.

"We have to show them respect. If it had been a matchday they wouldn’t have asked. We sleep in a hotel, they sleep in a plane. That is all the difference.

"If Mo is not fit, it will not be for that. For our side, it is just a sign of respect. I had (Pierre-Emerick) Aubameyang (at Borussia Dortmund) and there is nothing more important than to go there.

"Sadio is unbelievably important for us. He is strong, quick, so many things. He scores a goal like this and it is like ‘Wow’.

"He comes into the dressing room and the whole team gives him a hand. We need him, we need him so much for all teams coming.

“I am happy because I had a lot of players with moments where it wasn’t clicking and he still scores.”

Clarets boss Sean Dyche was disappointed, having got back into the game so late, his side could not hold on.

“I thought we had done enough to earn another point,” he said.

“We’re so frustrated with a soft goal right at the end but impressed with the mentality: superb physically, tactically very good - particularly defensively - and there is so much to be pleased with. But we’re left with that horrible feeling.”

...meditatively originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 02/01/2018 00:00:37

| | Arrival of record-signing Virgil Van Dijk will ‘help’ a lot, says Jurgen Klopp after Liverpool’s last-gap victory …SPORT360 |
| | What Steven Gerrard said about Virgil van Dijk at the start of the seasonGIVEMESPORT |
| | Van Dijk signed: Liverpool must now do this in the transfer market to challenge Man City | | Where football transfer …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Crystal Palace FC Where You Can Watch Southampton v Palace LiveCRYSTALPALACEFC |
|

| Ciderspace News Page : Darren Way Touting Permanent Olomola Move As Five Loanees Reach Decision PointsCIDERSPACE |
| | No rush for Van Dijk debut, says KloppFOURFOURTWO |

...smarmily given rise to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Reuters.co.uk article

Van Dijk won’t be rushed into Liverpool line-up - Klopp

Show/hide article…

BURNLEY, England (Reuters) - Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp says he is in no rush to introduce new signing Virgil van Dijk into his starting line-up, despite having completed the signing of the world’s most expensive defender early in the transfer window.

The transfer of the highly-rated Dutch international centre back was announced last week after the two clubs, who had failed to agree terms during acrimonious dealings in the close season, finally reached an agreement.

Liverpool did not reveal the transfer fee but Southampton announced it was “a new world-record for a defender” with English media reporting that it was a 75 million pounds ($100.5 million) deal.

But with the Reds on a 16-match unbeaten run in all competitions after the 2-1 New Year’s Day win at Burnley and an FA Cup derby clash with Everton on Friday, Klopp has little time to integrate the former Celtic man into his team.

Asked whether Van Dijk could make his debut in the third round tie at Anfield, Klopp said: ”I don’t know. We made a few tests. No rush. He is on fire, really wants but we have to make sure he can perform.

“Centre half is a position which depends on the others in the pitch. That means you have to tune it so you work together. Pre-season is for that usually,” he added.

Klopp suggested that the 26-year-old might be given more time to get used to his team mates.

“After Friday, we have a little bit more time. It is a long-term project. It is not important when his first game (is) but how many good games he plays,” he said.

The Liverpool boss said that he was not surprised by the solid displays from Dejan Lovren and Ragnar Klavan, who also combined for the late winner at Turf Moor.

“I never thought we had a defence problem or thought we need an extra player, though Virgil will help us a lot. We are fourth in the table, absolutely OK. We need to keep the distance not bigger to the teams ahead of us, if we can make it smaller then it is better,” he said.

The German’s options in midfield have also increased with Adam Lallana making his first start of the season at Burnley and delivering an impressive performance.

“Outstanding. Especially after 1-0, he played really good football. He was really enjoying the game. He was really strong in the beginning, then average, then back again. Good news for all of us,” he said.

...wordily pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!