OptiNews - Friday 29 December 2017 to Thursday 04 January 2018

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 14:31:26

| | Leicester boss Puel makes a big claim about Van Dijk | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |
| | LONDONFOOTBALLNEWS |
|

| Barcelona Reportedly Worried by Samuel Umtiti Clause After Virgil van Dijk DealBLEACHERREPORT |
| | Southampton enquire about Arsenal man following Van Dijk saleTEAMTALK |
| | Celtic news: Davie Hay on the value of Moussa DembeleFOOTBALLINSIDER |

...unfazedly given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by talkSPORT tweet

@talkSPORT - talkSPORT

Matt Le Tissier backs Southampton moves for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott

LI… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946713324934389760

Retweets: 9

Favourites: 32

...uninterestedly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Matt Le Tissier backs Southampton moves for Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge and Arsenal forward Theo Walcott

Show/hide article…

Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier has welcomed reports the club are targeting Daniel Sturridge and Theo Walcott - but doubts the deals will happen.

The Saints will bank £75million from the sale of Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool and are ready to reinvest that money in January, with the England duo said to be in their sights.

The south coast club are sitting just two points above the Premier League relegation zone, having failed to win any of their last seven games.

“We do need some reinforcements,” Le Tissier, widely regarded as Southampton’s greatest ever player, told talkSPORT.

"We have had a serious lack of goals. We have had a bit of a problem with the guys that play behind the strikers as well.

"I would think we will be looking for forward players with the [Van Dijk] money.

"If you could get Daniel Sturridge and guarantee that he was going to play most games for you, that would be amazing because that boy has got some ability.

"Theo should have left Arsenal a while back. He has stagnated there and it’s not been great for his career in terms of the games he has played in recent years.

“It would be great if we could get him back but I’m not sure if the wage structure at Southampton would allow those guys to come into the club.”

Go to the original article…

...servilely designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:soon::imp::vs::innocent:

Get set for #SaintsFC’s trip to #MUFC with our match preview: http://sfcne.ws/MatchPreviewUtd

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 11

...disturbedly concocted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Southampton striker Charlie Austin faces two months out with a hamstring tear

Show/hide article…

Southampton could be without top striker Charlie Austin for two months after he suffered a suspected hamstring tear during the 1-1 draw with Huddersfield.

Saints boss Mauricio Pellegrino revealed the club are awaiting the results of scans after the striker suffered the injury during last weekend’s game at St Mary’s.

Austin, who is currently serving a three-match ban for a kick on Huddersfield goalkeeper Jonas Lossl, scored the Saints’ goal against the Terriers, but was forced to limp off late in the game.

Pellegrino said: "Charlie, I think he will be out more than normal … this evening [Thursday] he will have another test to analyse a little bit better his injury, the grade of his injury.

“We will see but I expect Charlie will be out for a couple of months, minimum. It is a big pity because Charlie was in a really good moment.”

Austin is Southampton’s top scorer with six goals this season, including five in his last seven league games.

Pellegrino says Austin’s injury will be a good opportunity for Shane Long, who has not scored this season, and Manolo Gabbiadini to step up and compete for a place in Southampton’s foward line.

He added: “OK it is something that happens but the good news for Shane and Manolo is that they will have more minutes to compete and it’s a possibility for them.”

...illustratively fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton closing in on mystery French signing | Southampton are reportedly closing in on a deal involving a player from France, according to the Telegraph. The … 29-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton linked with a move for £13m-rated Atletico winger15 hours ago |
| Southampton keen to rival Manchester United and Tottenham for Fulham prospect2 days ago |
| Southampton keen to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan2 days ago |
| Portsmouth watching Southampton youngster ahead of potential move2 days ago |
| Southampton plot move for Swansea central defender2 days ago |
| Southampton join West Ham in race to sign Celtic striker2 days ago |
| Southampton linked with January move for Theo Walcott2 days ago |
| Manchester City remain keen to land Southampton defender2 days ago |
| Four players who could leave Southampton in January2 days ago |

...nosily moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 15:31:38

| | New Premier League club join the race to sign 22-year-old Man United star in JanuaryFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Austin Out For Two Months - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
|

| Southampton ready to enter race for Fulham starlet Ryan SessegnonIBTIMES |
| | Paddy Power troll Lovren after Van Dijk announcementFANSIDEDRUSHTHEKOP |
| | Transfer gossip: Southampton chase Championship starletDERBYTELEGRAPH |

...indolently hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:speaking_head:

Get the word from Jose Mourinho and the #MUFC camp ahead of #SaintsFC’s trip to Old Trafford: http://sfcne.ws/MUFCaOppView

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 4

...securely created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 16:31:51

| | Transfer Rater: Sturridge to SouthamptonESPNCOUK |
| | Van Dijk deal bad for West Brom as Manchester City target EvansHEREISTHECITY |
| | Matt Le Tissier would back Southampton move for Celtic’s Moussa DembeleHEREISTHECITY |
| | Southampton linked with a move for £13m-rated Atletico wingerREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | West Ham star hints that another Southampton man could join Liverpool | FutnSoccerFUTNSOCCER |
|

| Southampton targeting deals for Theo Walcott, Daniel Sturridge and Ryan SessegnonOFFTHEPOST |
| | Southampton reportedly lining up ambitious deal for Fulham aceFOOTBALLLEAGUEWORLD |
| | Walcott and Sturridge priced up for Southampton January movesNEWSLADBROKES |
| | ‘Desperate to sign him’, ‘Too greedy’ … Southampton fans react to striker linkFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Shock club set to make incredible move for Liverpool star101GREATGOALS |

...guilelessly instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Austin injury blow for Saints

Show/hide article…

Saints will be without top scorer Charlie Austin for at least two months.

The striker limped off injured during the 1-1 draw with Huddersfield with a suspected hamstring tear.

Though Saints are waiting on a scan to determine the full extent of the damage he has suffered, Pellegrino is resigned to being without Austin for at least a couple of months.

He said: "Charlie I think he will be out more than normal, exactly now today or this evening he will have another test to analyse a little bit better his injury, the grade of his injury.

“We will see but I expect Charlie will be out for a couple of months minimum.”

It leaves Pellegrino with a lack of striking options.

Austin is the Saints top scorer with six goals this season, but now Pellegrino has just Shane Long, who hasn’t scored since February, and Manolo Gabbiadini, who has only netted three times during the campaign, as contenders for the spot up front.

“Yes, it is a big pity because Charlie was in a really good moment,” reflected Pellegrino.

“And now in this situation, OK it is something that happens but the good news for Shane and Manolo is that they will have more minutes to compete and it’s a possibility for them.”

Saints have other injury concerns for the trip to Manchester United tomorrow.

Ryan Bertrand is touch and go to be fit after missing the last two matches, but Cedric Soares is likely to miss out again.

“Ryan is the closest, but I don’t know, tomorrow we will decide if he will be ready against Man Utd,” reported Pellegrino. “Cedric still needs a couple of weeks.”

...parochially fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Saints can’t use van Dijk distraction as an excuse

Show/hide article…

Saints cannot use the Virgil van Dijk transfer saga as an excuse for their recent poor form and must reinvest in new players to make his £75m sale a positive, according to manager Mauricio Pellegrino.

Van Dijk’s world record move to Liverpool will go through once the transfer window opens, and hand Saints a significant boost to their funds.

Pellegrino wants to bring in at least two new faces in January, and now the deal is done to focus fully on football again.

The van Dijk saga has been rumbling on since the summer, and has undoubtedly been a distraction, though Pellegrino won’t use it an excuse for a run of seven games without a win heading to face Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow.

He said: “I don’t want to use Virgil as an excuse. We are in a difficult moment because everybody has made mistakes, all my players, my staff and even the board.

“Now we have to think about the future and in one month, two months, three months everybody will realise if Virgil leaving was positive or not.

“In the future you can see if the decisions you made in the past were positive or not.”

He added: “I think the decision is done and now we have to think about the future.

“We have to try to see our target for the future.

“Sometimes at this level Southampton is impossible to bring players for £80m or £50m but maybe for us can mean in the future a couple of good players.

“Maybe we change one player for two players or three players with this money and this has to be the positive target.

“We have to analyse this situation and this is good personally for him and will be positive if we reinvest in our good targets for the future.”

Pellegrino had said he would recommend to the board that they kept hold of van Dijk in the January window, but denied suggestions he might be annoyed at being ignored.

“I think I will talk about the future, I will talk about now now the Virgil deal is done,” insisted Pellegrino.

“I think Southampton have a lot of strengths because the club did the right movement in the past to build this squad, this club to be more consistent.

“Obviously we don’t have this money to go to the market to bring the best players in the world, but we have got our targets and we want to bring, with this money, we want to reinvest with new energy. Now we have to look forward.”

The saga does throw into focus the decision making set-up at Saints, and how much input the club’s manager has, with the likes of football supremo Les Reed and Ross Wilson having a significant say on the buying and selling of players.

“Obviously my relationship with the board, with the chairman, with Les and Ross is really close,” said Pellegrino.

“Every single moment we are together making decisions and I had to be grateful with this.

“The financial people are always happy with this business, I think that is good for the club.

“I repeat if we bring our targets to the club, to think about the future. I don’t have more answers about that.”

...seethingly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

‘Virgil van Dijk is the best I have ever played with,’ says Celtic’s Craig Gordon

Show/hide article…

Celtic goalkeeper Craig Gordon is convinced former team-mate Virgil van Dijk is worth his £75m price tag.

The Dutch defender, who was at Celtic from 2013-15, will join Liverpool from Southampton on 1 January.

“The bigger the game the better he plays and he’s probably the best player I have played with,” Gordon said.

“It’s over £100m for a striker now so for somebody who can stop them? He could have eight years at Liverpool, so it could be good value for money.”

Van Dijk, 26, joined Celtic for £2.5m in 2013 and moved to Southampton for £13m two years later. Celtic included a sell-on clause which means they receive a significant sum - thought to be 10% of the transfer fee - when the deal is finalised.

“He’s without doubt the best centre half that I have every played with,” Gordon added. "He has absolutely everything to go on and become one of the great centre halves in world football. He’s a fantastic footballer and I’m sure he’ll do a great job at Liverpool.

"He’d be the benchmark for anyone coming through here to aspire to.

"Every time you see him play it looks so easy for him. He really can do everything, you could probably play him anywhere, he’s so quick and strong, he can head it and can even score free-kicks.

“He really is a complete football player. There’s not too many centre halves in world football that can play that style of play that people are looking for at the top clubs, to be that comfortable on the ball and to be able to defend. You’ll really see the best of him and he will show what a good buy he will be for Liverpool.”

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers, who managed Liverpool from 2012-15, added: "Virgil has gone to a brilliant club where every aspect of you as a player is tested. He looks a great talent.

“He just has to go and work and play, and I’m sure he’ll do very well.”

Celtic have cast the net wide in recent years as they look to buy young players, develop them and then make money from their sale.

Van Dijk is one of the best examples of this strategy succeeding and, while he was reluctant to draw comparisons between the pair, Gordon sees plenty of potential in 19-year-old Norwegian centre-back Kristoffer Ajer, who could start against Rangers on Saturday.

“He has everything - he’s physically very strong for a boy that young, he’s a clever lad and very level headed,” Gordon said.

“He has everything a top central defender should have - he has decent pace, he’s good in the air, he’s strong, and when you put on top of that his ability to come out with the ball, as he started his career in midfield so he’s comfortable on the ball. He’s a real threat at set-pieces as well.”

...respectfully pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 17:32:05

|

| It’s Simply Ridiculous – Former Dortmund Star Slams Virgil van Dijk FeeINSIDEFUTBOLCOM |
| | Southampton ready to rival West Ham in race to sign £25m-rated starFOOTBALLFANCAST |

...semantically cast by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Southampton should sign Theo Walcott and Liverpool star Daniel Sturridge - Le Tissier

Show/hide article…

Matt Le Tissier wants Southampton to invest the £75m in attacking talent

That’s the view of Saints legend Matt Le Tissier.

The south coast outfit have scored just 20 times in 20 Premier League games this season.

And Le Tissier thinks there are two England internationals who could spark his former club’s season into life.

“If you could get Daniel Sturridge and guarantee that he was going to play most games for you,” Le Tissier told talkSPORT.

"That would be amazing because that boy has got some ability.

"Theo should have left Arsenal a while back. He has stagnated there and it’s not been great for his career in terms of the games he has played in recent years.

...tinglingly invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Manchester United v Southampton

Show/hide article…

Romelu Lukaku is likely to start despite Jose Mourinho admitting the Manchester United forward is “tired”.

United duo Anthony Martial and Matteo Darmian are unlikely to feature despite returning to training this week.

Southampton will be without defender Virgil van Dijk, who will join Liverpool on 1 January.

Charlie Austin is suspended, although a hamstring injury may rule him out for the next two months anyway.

Left-back Ryan Bertrand will have his hamstring problem assessed.

Simon Brotherton: "Failure to beat either Leicester or Burnley over the past week and a 15-point deficit to local rivals Manchester City has hardly left Jose Mourinho in a festive mood.

"Instead, his Manchester United side will have to try to close the biggest gap ever between the teams in first and second place after 20 games of an English top-flight season.

“Southampton have their own worries despite being flush with cash for the January sales after agreeing to sell Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool. How they spend that money will be key as they try to avoid being dragged into a relegation scrap.”

Manager Jose Mourinho on Romelu Lukaku, who has played every minute of Manchester United’s 20 league games this season: "No, I can’t (rest him). I see 20 matches in the Premier League, 90 minutes, I think for a striker, any player, it’s absolutely incredible.

"Is he unlucky in our box in recent matches? (It was) not a direct influence on just him, but he was in the picture in some of the last goals we concede. Is it a consequence of a player that really needs a little rest? Or is this a consequence of just the occasion?

“The guy is fantastic for me and for the team and gives absolutely everything and I’ve no criticism.”

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino: "Manchester United are a powerful team, but we are in the moment that we have to think more about us and what we have to do on the pitch. This is our reality and can’t talk about the other teams.

“Even for Manchester United it is difficult to win many games in a row because the Premier League is really competitive. Everybody is suffering this.”

Mauricio Pellegrino’s side have won only one of their past 11 league games, and have scored only 12 goals in that spell, so the pressure is on him to improve things quickly.

This is not the game for that to happen, though.

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Liverpool that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

...sentimentally prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Following #SaintsFC up to Manchester? :innocent:

Read our #MUFC away guide before you travel: http://sfcne.ws/MUFCaGuide

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...responsively generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Jose Mourinho reminds Jurgen Klopp of ‘quit’ comment after Virgil van Dijk signing

Show/hide article…

Jose Mourinho has responded to Virgil van Dijk’s £75m move by reminding Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp of his threat to quit football if astronomical fees became commonplace.

The Reds made the first significant move of the winter transfer window after agreeing a deal with Southampton to make Van Dijk the world’s most expensive defender.

He will arrive at Anfield 18 months after Klopp insisted he wanted to “do it differently” following Paul Pogba’s then-world record £92.35m switch to Manchester United, with the German suggesting he did not want to be involved in the game if such amounts became the norm rather than the exception.

Asked about Van Dijk’s move, Mourinho said: "I think the one to speak about it in a specific way has to be Jurgen.

"If I was one of you I would ask him about his comments about one year ago [when Pogba signed].

"Not speaking specifically about [the Van Dijk] case because in Liverpool they do what they want, and I am nobody to comment about what they do, but the reality is if they think the player is the right player for them, and they really want the player, they pay this amount or they don’t have the player. That’s the way the market is.

"When we compare now the amount of money that certain managers and clubs spend, not even 10 years, but three years ago, is to compare the impossible.

"Now you are going to say Virgil van Dijk is the most expensive defender in the history of football. Was he better than [Paolo] Maldini, [Giuseppe] Bergomi or [Rio] Ferdinand? You cannot say that.

"It’s just the way the market is. You pay or you don’t pay. If you pay, you pay a crazy amount of money but if you don’t, you don’t have the player. It’s as simple as that.

“No criticism at all about what Liverpool did. It’s just the way it is.”

...piously fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 18:32:18

| | Austin faces two months out with injurySPORTSMOLE |
| | Mourinho reminds Klopp of ‘quit’ comment after Van Dijk signingBELFASTTELE |
| | ‘Amazing’ - Guardiola reacts to Liverpool reportedly beating Man City to Van Dijk signingTHISISFUTBOLCOM |
| | Signing Sturridge on loan would be excellent deal for SouthamptonHEREISTHECITY |
| | Southampton closing in on mystery French signingREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Mauricio Pellegrino staying calm amid Southampton slumpBELFASTTELE |
| | TV ! Saints At Manchester United Opposition View - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |

...stupefiedly instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Opposition Dangerman: Manchester United (A) | Southampton’s busy schedule in the Premier League continues when they face the trip up north to face Manchester … 29-12-2017 |
| Saints’ Predicted XI: Manchester United (A) - Pellegrino to revert to a back five? | Southampton will be hoping to claim an unlikely scalp on Saturday when they take the trip to Manchester United. … 29-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton closing in on mystery French signing18 hours ago |
| Southampton linked with a move for £13m-rated Atletico winger18 hours ago |
| Southampton keen to rival Manchester United and Tottenham for Fulham prospect2 days ago |
| Southampton keen to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan2 days ago |
| Portsmouth watching Southampton youngster ahead of potential move2 days ago |
| Southampton plot move for Swansea central defender2 days ago |
| Southampton join West Ham in race to sign Celtic striker2 days ago |
| Southampton linked with January move for Theo Walcott2 days ago |

...interminably dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC is pleased to announce club legend Kelvin Davis has been appointed as Senior First Team Coach. Full detai… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946818094827298816

Retweets: 6

Favourites: 21

...anyway fabricated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!