OptiNews - Friday 29 December 2017 to Thursday 04 January 2018

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Jurgen Klopp says spending £75m on Virgil van Dijk ‘not nice’ but insists Liverpool forced to adapt to market

Show/hide article…

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp admits it was “not nice” shelling out £75million for Virgil van Dijk but had little option in current market conditions.

Klopp has finally landed his main defensive target after a protracted courtship which included an unsuccessful transfer request in the summer and a public apology to Southampton for a “misunderstanding” over the Reds’ pursuit.

Confirmed: Liverpool to sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton on January 1

But in bringing the Holland international to Anfield, Klopp had to set a new world record for a defender, easily eclipsing the £54million which took Kyle Walker from Tottenham to Manchester City.

The magnitude of the deal does not sit easily with the German but he believes it is no longer possible to keep a lid on spiralling fees and instead chooses to focus on the player, not the price tag.

“It’s a big change in football over a few months and years and we have to adapt to it. That’s how it is, it changed already,” he said.

"It’s not nice but that’s the market, that’s the world.

"It’s all about how the market always is, it’s about the need and the opportunity. If you want to sign a player, actually the last thing I actually think about is the price.

"It’s not because I like throwing money around. We only think about the player and there’s one moment when you get the price and you have to accept it or not.

“Of course it’s not every club who will do it (spend such amounts) but a lot of clubs are able to do it and they will do it.”

Van Dijk will not yet be a Liverpool player when they take on Leicester on Saturday, joining officially on January 1 when the transfer window officially opens.

Liverpool are expected to face renewed interest from Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho, having refused to do business in the summer.

There is no indication that their answer would be any different should the Catalan giants come calling again, with the playmaker even taking the captaincy in the 5-0 thrashing of Swansea on Boxing Day.

Klopp revealed that was no masterplan to buy the Brazilian’s continued commitment but was happy to see him turn in a typically impressive performance.

“I don’t know if I make the story less romantic but when Hendo (Jordan Henderson) and Milly (James Milner) were not playing, I need to look at our longest servant…Philippe Coutinho,” he explained.

"That’s why he was captain. Maybe I could be smarter, think about giving him the armband and he will never leave or give him the armband and he’s especially happy, but that’s not how it works.

“The armband can do different things to you, you can feel the lift or the pressure, and it didn’t disturb him.”

Liverpool’s single-minded resolve to hang on to Coutinho has been matched in some regards by their weekend opponents, who have thus far fended off every vulture circling Riyad Mahrez.

In a nod to their successful retention of the Algerian, Klopp added: "He is a fantastic player. I can imagine a lot of clubs are interested in him.

“That he’s still there shows somebody at Leicester convinced him. He’s very important for them, 100 per cent.”

Go to the original article…

...numbly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by JPW_NBCSports tweet

@JPW_NBCSports - Joe Prince-Wright

Since 2014, Liverpool have spent £204 million on players who either came directly from #SaintsFC or from their acad… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946445037407268864

Retweets: 15

Favourites: 26

...patiently engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

#SaintsFC legend Kelvin Davis joins Mauricio Pellegrino’s staff as First Team Assistant Coach! Read more: http://sfcne.ws/KDCoachDec17

Retweets: 13

Favourites: 50

...feebly sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by AdamBlackmore tweet

@AdamBlackmore - Adam Blackmore

Former #saintsfc goalkeeper Kelvin Davis has been appointed as Senior First Team coach.

Davis replaces Eric Black.… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/946818216692609024

Retweets: 21

Favourites: 90

...devilishly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s Kelvin Davis gives his thoughts after being appointed as First Team Assistant Coach:

Retweets: 8

Favourites: 22

...helplessly built by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

WWE legend trolls Liverpool over Virgil van Dijk signing

Show/hide article…

WWE legend Virgil has decided to make the most of his name by trolling Liverpool over their latest signing.

The wrestler, real name Michael Jones, has pretended to be Virgil van Dijk on Twitter, and has even changed his picture to one of the Dutch defender, reports the Liverpool Echo.

Liverpool announced on Wednesday they had agreed a world-record £75million fee with Southampton for the 26-year-old, who will join on January 1.

Since the announcement, the 55-year-old wrestler from Tennessee, known as @TheRealVirgil on Twitter, has posted a series of comical tweets.

Virgil began by tweeting a photoshopped image of himself and two former wrestlers – Ted DiBiase and Andre the Giant – with their heads replaced by van Dijk, Jurgen Klopp and John Henry.

His next Twitter post read: “Hey @SouthamptonFC it was a ooodles of fun. But the party is over. Time to make crumpets at Liverpool baby.”

The account, which has over 35,000 followers, has now gained a cult following because of his Liverpool-related posts, including a list of rules after his ‘signing’.

“Ok Liverpool a few ground rules before I start,” he wrote. “1. I need peddles at my feet as get off the bus like Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.

“2. A hot bowl of pasta in my dressing room.

“3. My theme song onto the field is Careless Whisper by George Michael. Ok bye.”

...guardingly engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Premier League transfers that could happen in the 2018 January transfer window

Show/hide article…

There are some deals already looking likely in the January transfer window.

Diego Costa has re-joined Atletico Madrid and Virgil van Dijk has completed his £75million move to Liverpool, but there are other names who could be off, too.

So, talkSPORT.com looks at deals that could happen when the winter window opens in 2018.

Follow all the latest transfer news and rumours here.

...haughtily sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 19:32:31

|

| Southampton manager Pellegrino staying calm despite slideFOOTBALL365 |
| | Man Utd news: Mourinho takes a swipe at Klopp when asked about Liverpool’s £75m Van Dijk deal | Goal.comGOALDOTCOM |
| | Confirmed: 10 absentees for Man Utd-SouthamptonMANCHESTERUNITEDBLOG |
| | Southampton reportedly targeting prolific 28-year-old in bid to bolster attacking ranks | | Where football transfer …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | Mourinho & Guardiola torn on record Van Dijk dealTHISISANFIELD |
| | First Van Dijk, now Liverpool target £260m trio to boost Champions League hopesTEAMTALK |
| | Jose Mourinho slams Jurgen Klopp over Van Dijk’s Liverpool transfer101GREATGOALS |
| | Southampton should make this key tactical change v Man United - agreed?FOOTBALLFANCAST |

...heavily formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Kelvin Davis replaces Eric Black as First Team Assistant | Southampton legend Kelvin Davis has replaced Eric Black as the club’s First Team Assistant Coach, the club have … 29-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Opposition Dangerman: Manchester United (A)19 hours ago |
| Saints’ Predicted XI: Manchester United (A) - Pellegrino to revert to a back five?19 hours ago |
| Southampton closing in on mystery French signing19 hours ago |
| Southampton linked with a move for £13m-rated Atletico winger19 hours ago |
| Southampton keen to rival Manchester United and Tottenham for Fulham prospect2 days ago |
| Southampton keen to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan2 days ago |
| Portsmouth watching Southampton youngster ahead of potential move2 days ago |
| Southampton plot move for Swansea central defender2 days ago |
| Southampton join West Ham in race to sign Celtic striker2 days ago |

...impolitely formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from London Evening Standard article

Southampton weighing up reunion move for Arsenal’s Walcott

Show/hide article…

Southampton are weighing up an emotional reunion with Arsenal forward Theo Walcott as they plot a rebuild of their squad with the funds raised from the sale of Virgil van Dijk.

The Saints agreed a £75million fee with Liverpool for van Dijk and intend to use some, but likely not all, of the windfall in the January window to strengthen Mauricio Pellegrino’s squad.

The Southampton manager has confirmed he wants to bring in “a couple of players minimum” and has also been linked with Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge and Fulham hot shot Ryan Sessegnon.

They could turn to Walcott, who came through their youth academy and played 23 games for them before joining Arsenal for £9million as a 16-year-old in January 2006.

Walcott has proven to be a shrewd investment over the last 12 years, scoring 108 goals in all competitions and making more appearances for Arsene Wenger than any Arsenal player other than Patrick Vieira.

However the 28-year-old has struggled for first-team opportunities since Wenger switched away from a 4-2-3-1 system in April, since when he has only started one league game. Indeed this season he has managed only 47 minutes in the top flight and featured only once since October 1 after struggling with illness.

Wenger assured Walcott in late October that “his time in the Premier League will come” and he is still considered a valuable member of the first team, particularly with Olivier Giroud out for up to six weeks with a hamstring injury.

Walcott has, though, spoken of a desire to make an England World Cup squad for the first time since 2006, when Sven-Goran Erikkson gambled on him before he had played for Arsenal and then never played him in the tournament. His bid to return to the Three Lions setup would certainly not be aided by another six months on the Emirates sidelines.

...concedingly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s players departed for Manchester today in their brand new UA Terrace Jackets, courtesy of @UnderArmourUKhttps://twitter.com/i/web/status/946841078241603585

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 23

...obscurely moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 20:32:43

| | Matt Le Tissier welcomes talk of Theo Walcott rejoining Southampton from ArsenalFOOTBALLLONDON |
|

| 4-2-3-1: Southampton predicted XI to face Man UtdMANCHESTERUNITEDBLOG |
| | Everton, West Ham and Southampton target shock Atletico Madrid star101GREATGOALS |

...rewardingly synergised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Extent of Charlie Austin’s injury revealed by Pellegrino | Southampton striker Charlie Austin is set to miss up to two months of action having sustained a suspected hamstring … 29-12-2017 |
| Manchester United vs Southampton: Match Preview | Southampton face the long trip up to Old Trafford this weekend as they face Manchester United in their final fixture … 29-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Kelvin Davis replaces Eric Black as First Team Assistant20 hours ago |
| Opposition Dangerman: Manchester United (A)20 hours ago |
| Saints’ Predicted XI: Manchester United (A) - Pellegrino to revert to a back five?20 hours ago |
| Southampton closing in on mystery French signing20 hours ago |
| Southampton linked with a move for £13m-rated Atletico winger20 hours ago |
| Southampton keen to rival Manchester United and Tottenham for Fulham prospect2 days ago |
| Southampton keen to sign Daniel Sturridge on loan2 days ago |
| Portsmouth watching Southampton youngster ahead of potential move2 days ago |

...creamily generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Man Utd prodigy Callum Gribbin set for debut v Southampton – see why fans are VERY excited

Show/hide article…

The 19-year-old trained with the first team on Thursday and stayed longer than other academy prospects – hinting he could feature tomorrow against the Saints.

Jose Mourinho may look to rest some of his star players given the frantic festive fixtures.

And footage of one of the winger’s most memorable moments in a Red Devils shirt shows just why he is rated so highly.

The clip shows Gribbin running at Barcelona defenders during United’s Under-19s semi-final clash in the Otten Cup last August.

...unproficiently moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Virgil van Dijk ‘will fit right in at Liverpool’ - Neil Lennon

Show/hide article…

Neil Lennon says defender Virgil van Dijk is “the best player I’ve worked with as a manager”.

The 26-year-old Dutch defender has sealed a £75m move to Liverpool from Premier League rivals Southampton.

Lennon, then Celtic manager, signed the Dutchman from FC Groningen for £2.6m in June 2013.

“He came in the first day and trained. I had a chat with him and said ‘enjoy yourself here because I don’t think you’ll be here long,’” said Lennon.

Van Dijk, 26, moved to Southampton for £13m two years later and Celtic included a sell-on clause which means they receive a significant sum - thought to be 10% of the transfer fee - when the deal is finalised.

“He was actually there for two seasons at Celtic,” Hibernian head coach Lennon said.

"The progress was impossible to stop. He was such a good player - probably the best I’ve worked with as a manager.

"When you think of the stature he is now; a world record fee for a defender, I think Celtic would probably value him more than £75m and I probably would as well.

"But like I said, I always thought he had the game and he’s proven that. He could play for any team in the world and I’m surprised that Manchester United or Manchester City, Barcelona or Real Madrid haven’t come in and bought him rather than Liverpool.

“But I think it’s great business for Liverpool. He’ll fit right in there.”

...nefariously formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 29/12/2017 21:32:57

| | ‘Amazing’: Le Tissier’s verdict on Southampton potentially signing Theo Walcott and Daniel SturridgeHEREISTHECITY |
| | Exciting video shows Virgil van Dijk has a secret weapon that Liverpool must useGIVEMESPORT |
|

| Man City consider January move for defenderMANEVNEWS |
| | Transfer news: ‘Virgil van Dijk has everything to become one of the great centre-halves’ - Liverpool’s £75m signing …GOALDOTCOM |
| | Mourinho: ‘If Van Dijk is £75m…’ | Football ItaliaFOOTBALLITALIA |
| | Austin injury means Southampton must sign new strikerHEREISTHECITY |

...solemnly fitted together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Blogs – Fresh Saints

New content from (- Blogs – Fresh Saints)

| There’s no room for boos and abuse at St Mary’s | The first half of the 2017/18 season has been our least inspiring since our return to the Premier League. We’re … 29-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Two good, two bad: Tottenham v Southampton2 days ago |
| Mauricio Pellegrino: the final straw3 days ago |
| Two good, two bad: Southampton v Huddersfield5 days ago |
| Preview: Southampton v Huddersfield7 days ago |
| Charlie Austin – the simple genius of a traditional number nine9 days ago |
| Virgil Van Dijk: updates regarding Liverpool, Chelsea and Manchester City11 days ago |
| Two good, two bad: Chelsea v Southampton12 days ago |
| 2017-18 Premier League cups – Understanding the tough and easiest starts13 days ago |
| Two good, two bad: Southampton v Leicester15 days ago |

...petrifiedly prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Southampton’s Charlie Austin sidelined for at least two months

Show/hide article…

Southampton will miss Charlie Austin for at least two months after the striker suffered a hamstring injury.

Austin suffered the problem last weekend against Huddersfield, limping off the pitch with 11 minutes remaining.

He has scored five goals in his last seven Premier League games, but was already serving a three-match ban for violent conduct for a kick to the face of Huddersfield goalkeeper Jonas Lossl.

Manager Mauricio Pellegrino said Saints were awaiting the results of a scan, but said he did not expect a quick recovery.

“Charlie will be out more than normal. He will have another test to analyse a little bit better his injury, the grade of his injury,” Pellegrino said.

“We will see but I expect Charlie will be out for a couple of months minimum. It’s a big pity because Charlie was in a really good moment.”

Fans booed Southampton after the 5-2 Boxing Day collapse before Tottenham at Wembley and Saints have not won since Nov. 26, the intervening seven games marred by four defeats.

Manchester United await at Old Trafford on Saturday and while under-pressure Pellegrino understands the supporters’ frustrations, he insists there is plenty of opportunity left to climb away from the relegation zone.

“Everybody that works at the top level works under the opinion of everybody. I respect those opinions and I have the same feeling as the fans,” Pellegrino said. "I’m not happy when we don’t play well and I would like to keep the people proud of our team.

"But almost 50 percent of the Premier League is ahead and we still have time to bounce back and show another side.

"For sure we can turn this around. Spurs played well and we were really poor defensively. When you’re poor defensively, they [opponents] look more than normal.

"For this reason we have to come back to simple principles and come back in our performance.

"Manchester United are a powerful team, but we are in the moment that we have to think more about us and what we have to do on the pitch. This is our reality and can’t talk about the other teams.

“Even for Manchester United it is difficult to win many games in a row because the Premier League is really competitive. Everybody is suffering this.”

...punctually thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:speaking_head:”Do the simple things well.”

#SaintsFC boss Mauricio Pellegrino on tomorrow’s #PL test at #MUFC: http://sfcne.ws/MP-MUFCa

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...generally modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

WATCH: Managers weigh in on whether new Liverpool signing Virgil van Dijk is worth £75m

Show/hide article…

WATCH: Managers weigh in on whether new Liverpool signing Virgil van Dijk is worth £75m

Football managers believe Virgil van Dijk’s £75m transfer to Liverpool will raise prices during the January window.

Liverpool have confirmed Van Dijk will complete his move from Southampton on January 1, 2018 and will wear the No 4 shirt at Liverpool.

The agreed fee for Van Dijk is a world-record sum for a defender, topping Manchester City’s deal to sign Kyle Walker in July, and rival managers have been weighing in with their reactions to the blockbuster deal.

...red-facedly made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!