OptiNews - Friday 29 December 2017 to Thursday 04 January 2018

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:japanese_ogre::vs::innocent:

Join us live from Old Trafford for updates and free commentary, as #SaintsFC take on #MUFC: http://sfcne.ws/MDLMUA

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 0

...direly instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/12/2017 15:02:50

| | Man United fans pessimistic ahead of Southampton match - FootballFanCast.comFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Transfer gossip: Daniel Sturridge ready to snub Stoke CitySTOKESENTINEL |
| | Excting young French defender who could be the ideal long term replacement for Virgil Van Dijk at Southampton | | …THETRANSFERTAVERN |
| | ‘I think Pellegrino could go’ - Pundit claims Southampton boss is on verge of the sackFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Football on TV: Where to watch Celtic v Rangers, Manchester United v Southampton and more todayGLASGOWEVENINGTIMES |
|

| Liverpool transfer news: Jurgen Klopp sees no sense in talking about Philippe Coutinho’s departureIBTIMES |
| | Sutton: Van Dijk to Liverpool shows Celtic should get £30m for DembeleHEREISTHECITY |

...unconsciously formed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:camera_flash:

The scene is set at Old Trafford! #saintsfc

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 7

...artistically thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Everything you need to know for Manchester United vs Southampton

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino’s Southampton travel to Old Trafford having picked up three points in their last seven games. United, on the other hand, continue to lead the pack in pursuit of Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City who have now won 18 times on the trot. Mourinho’s side have drawn their previous two games against Burnley and Leicester, leaving them 15 points adrift of City. With Chelsea now only a point behind United, Mourinho will be desperate to return to winning ways before a trip to Goodison Park on New Year’s Day.

Southampton have won only one of their past 11 games, and won’t fancy their chances here. Goals for the Saints have come in short supply this season, with 20 so far in the league. Pellegrino’s men have also failed to keep a clean sheet since October and will need to either stop conceding so frequently or find a way of scoring on a regular basis over the coming weeks.

United are boosted by the likely returns of Anthony Martial and Matteo Darmian after overcoming injuries. Mourinho is still unable to call upon the services of Eric Bailly, Marouane Fellaini and Michael Carrick.

Southampton are without Virgil van Dijk after the centre-back agreed a move to Liverpool. Striker Charlie Austin is suspended and injured with a hamstring strain. Influential full-back Ryan Bertrand will have a fitness test prior to the game after recovering from a hamstring problem of his own.

Manchester United vs Southampton is at 15:00 on Saturday 30 December.

The game will not be televised but highlights will be available on Match of the Day at 22:30 on Saturday on BBC1.

Manolo Gabbiadini. The former-Napoli striker has found himself on the bench in recent weeks but with Charlie Austin injured, he has been presented with an opportunity to get a run of games in the starting eleven. The Italian has disappointed after a promising start to his Southampton career last season, scoring four in his first three appearances for the Saints. Pellegrino will hope his man can rediscover his goal-scoring habits of old.

Southampton have won two of their last three league matches at Old Trafford by a 1-0 scoreline.

Jesse Lingard. The academy graduate has improved rapidly this term after moving infield to a No 10 role. The energetic midfielder’s goal return in recent weeks has been sensational, with six goals and two assists in his last seven appearances from this new role. Lingard’s selfless running in behind teams has given dynamism to an, at times, sluggish United attack.

Go to the original article…

...sleekly thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/12/2017 16:03:05

|

| Liverpool Transfer News: Philippe Coutinho Latest, Daniel Sturridge RumoursBLEACHERREPORT |
| | Roy Hodgson says two games in three days will be a stretchCROYDONADVERTISER |
| | LFC fans will love what Guardiola has said abut £75m Van DijkEMPIREOFTHEKOP |

...precognizantly costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:one::five: minutes until team news from Old Trafford!

What would your line-up be, #SaintsFC fans?

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 9

...pristinely dreamed up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Pellegrino: I can turn this around

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino remains convinced he is the man to turn around Saints’ flagging season.

Saints this evening face a daunting trip to face Manchester United at Old Trafford, desperate to end a run of seven games without a win and to extended the ever closing gap between themselves and the bottom three.

Pellegrino is increasingly under the spotlight, particularly after recent hammerings by Leicester and Tottenham, but still has the belief he can make things right.

“Football sometimes has got this moment and now in Premier League everything is really equalised.

“Obviously Spurs played well and did a good game and we were really poor defensively and when you are poor defensively they look more than normal.

“For this reason we have to come back to simple principles and come back in our performance.

“Against Man U and thinking about the future and the transfer market in January we can bounce back.”

The transfer market could be key for Saints.

Virgil van Dijk will move to Liverpool for £75m on Monday, and Saints will be active in trying to recruit players with the likes of Daniel Sturridge, Theo Walcott and Alfie Mawson having already been linked.

For now though, Pellegrino is trying to ignore the pressure he is under.

“Everybody that works in the top level are always under the opinion of everybody,” he reflected.

“Obviously I respect the opinion and I have the same feeling as the fans.

“I am not happy when we don’t play well and I would like to keep the people proud of our team.

“Almost 50 per cent of the Premier League is ahead and still we have time to bounce back and show another face.”

Pellegrino also defended Maya Yoshida after the Saints defender admitted the club were in a worse situation than last year when they fired Claude Puel.

“The players are the first ones that realise that we are not performing well,” said Pellegrino.

“The first thing you have to do as a Southampton player is to be conscious. We have got a critics spirit in our dressing room.

“Maya is one of the captains and I think the intention of the player is that he assumes responsibility and wants to bounce back from the situation.

“Maya is always the guy who is constructive and always making sure we are doing the best to push with this energy.”

...figuratively synergised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

The teams are in!

Here’s the #SaintsFC side for the clash with #MUFC:

Retweets: 147

Favourites: 215

...safely put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by ManUtd tweet

@ManUtd - Manchester United

The team news is in! Here’s how #MUFC line up for our final match of 2017… #MUNSOU

Retweets: 2822

Favourites: 2628

...argumentatively erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

LAWRIE: Sorry van Dijk saga can benefit Saints

Show/hide article…

IT’S NOT often that you read that Saints have broken a world record.

I must admit when I heard the news I couldn’t understand until I read that Liverpool have apparently given £75m over for Virgil van Dijk.

That fee for any defender is enormous, but I suppose with the TV money etc we have to live with it.

As far as Mr van Dijk and his agent are concerned I personally, and without knowing any of them, think they have been very lucky, and so has the club.

I say this from a football point of view. Up until a year ago I was telling football people I met that we had one of the top three centre halves in the game.

He then, unfortunately, got a bad injury which kept him out for the rest of last season while at the beginning of this season a combination of trying to get fully fit again and all the fuss meant he wasn’t playing.

Of course, Liverpool had to apologise for making an alleged illegal approach in the summer months, which to be fair I thought the club handled very well by basically saying ‘we don’t want you to go, we want you to stay here, and by the way you and your agent should remember you just signed a six year contract’. Full marks to them.

Since then the player has come back from the injury, but from where I sit he doesn’t look the same on the pitch.

That is probably one of the reasons he has not been selected for every game this season, but it could well be the other thing is that watching him closely when he has been on the pitch I think his attitude is completely different to what it was before.

This obviously is because at least one other club wanted him and he had wanted to go.

It also brings back my thoughts on these transfer windows compared to the old days when a transfer could be done at any time up until about a month before the end of the season.

Now it has come out without even waiting for the beginning of January that a deal is done.

The player hasn’t even been in the squad for the last couple of games.

His attitude obviously off the field has been one of not wanting to be here, and when you think this was the player the squad looked up to, he was club captain, what does that mean the atmosphere around the training ground and dressing room has been like?

I have mentioned before, particularly the Leicester game, and from what I can gather up at Wembley, there seems to be a lack of leadership at present on the field, and the Van Dijk situation would certainly not have helped the present coach.

In some ways it could turn out to be a good thing as he leaves as soon as possible.

The players should remember that their job is to keep the club in the top flight, at least give 100 per cent, but also that the money coming in will enable the club to go out into the transfer market to strengthen the squad and they should be saying ‘you don’t need to replace me.’ Having said that I am talking about what would have happened at one time.

But does it mean that the example Van Dijk has given is the case nowadays. That is to forget the length of contract, if you get the chance to move on and make more money then you take it.

Bear in mind the majority are not from this country, they are visitors in so far as they may be good at what they do but they know they will move on.

They are not too concerned about the traditions or history of the club they are with, and in addition they all have an agent who makes more on moves than if a player stays for the length of time the likes of Messrs Le Tissier, Channon and co did at one time.

...atrociously spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Watch as the #SaintsFC players made their way into Old Trafford earlier, ahead of the meeting with #MUFC:

Favourites: 18

...blockedly made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by AdamBlackmore tweet

@AdamBlackmore - Adam Blackmore

#saintsfc drop Fraser Forster after 76 straight Premier League starts.

Alex McCarthy makes his league debut for Sa… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947143185859530753

Retweets: 13

Favourites: 43

...miserably invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SkySportsNews tweet

@SkySportsNews - Sky Sports News

#SaintsFC XI v #MUFC: McCarthy, Stephens, Hoedt, Yoshida, McQueen, Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Tadic, Long, Boufal.

Retweets: 11

Favourites: 33

...candidly sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by 5liveSport tweet

@5liveSport - BBC 5 live Sport

#MUNSOU team news:

Three changes for #MUFC - no Ibrahimovic in squad.

Four for #SaintsFC - McCarthy replaces Fors… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947145056611381248

Retweets: 13

Favourites: 20

...candidly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s @Alex_Macca23 makes his first #PL appearance for the club today!

Retweets: 10

Favourites: 38

...imitatively designed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Manchester United stars arrive at the Lowry Hotel

Show/hide article…

Manchester United stars have joined up with manager Jose Mourinho at the Lowry Hotel ahead of the Premier League clash with Southampton.

The likes of Paul Pogba, Nemanja Matic, Romelu Lukaku and Jesse Lingard were spotted arriving at the five-star hotel in the heart of Manchester as they gear up for the first of two clashes in 48 hours.

After United take on Southampton on Saturday evening at Old Trafford, they then face Everton at Goodison Park on New Year’s Day.

Belgian striker Lukaku, who chose to have his hood up on arrival, appeared in a tired and glum mood as he met up with his United colleagues just hours before kick-off against the Saints.

This comes after Mourinho claimed his centre forward, who has played every minute of United’s Premier League games, was exhausted currently.

Asked on Friday if he could rest him, Mourinho replied: ‘No I can’t. The boy is tired. Physically he’s a monster, but he’s not a machine and he’s feeling it.’

Meanwhile, United star Matic has admitted he would be willing to fill in as goalkeeper at United if it was required.

The Serbian midfielder was switched to centre back during the club’s 2-2 draw with Burnley on Boxing Day at Old Trafford after Marcos Rojo was substituted at half-time, with United desperate to find a way back into the game.

And following the Premier League clash, the former Chelsea man insists he would have no qualms of being moved around the pitch and would even be happy to play between the posts.

He told the club’s official website: 'Obviously, I like to play in midfield but if I need to help the team and the coach wants me to play in any position, I will do it.

‘Even goalkeeper, if we need it. I hope that never needs to happen but, if it does, I am there to help. For me, it’s important to play, it doesn’t matter what position.’

The Red Devils take on Southampton in the English top flight on Saturday evening, already 15 points behind neighbours and runaway leaders Manchester City.

Mourinho’s men fell further behind City after they were held at home to Burnley last time out.

...kindly brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:speech_balloon:

#SaintsFC defender @wesleyhoedt gives his thoughts ahead of kick-off at Old Trafford:

Favourites: 15

...temerariously carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 30/12/2017 17:03:19

|

| Man Utd vs Southampton: Saints seek to plunder Old Trafford again as Mourinho pressure mountsBETUNIBET |
| | Manchester United vs Southampton LIVEMANEVNEWS |
| | Pep Guardiola uses Man City defender in Virgil Van Dijk debateMANEVNEWS |
| | Virgil Van Dijk Signing Takes Liverpool Close To The ‘Boom!’ Moment That Defined Jurgen Klopp’s Dortmund TenureTHESPORTSMAN |

...fascinatedly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

#SaintsFC’s Kelvin Davis takes to the bench today for the first time in his new role as First Team Assistant Coach!… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947151545988030469

Retweets: 5

Favourites: 41

...gladly moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SkySportsPL tweet

@SkySportsPL - Sky Sports PL

Keep up to date with all the action from Old Trafford as #MUFC host struggling #SaintsFC in the Premier League:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/947150385877307392

Retweets: 10

Favourites: 34

...smokily sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!