Panama Offshore accounts

Excellent post, Jack - I won’t go over any of the points, but I will say the following. For the past year or so, my questions haven’t so much about what’s in the news. The main question I have right now is “why is this in the news?”. By convention, we operate to a half hour format in which a great deal of editorialisation is pretty much guaranteed. So back to my question, why is this in the news?

The main reason is pretty cool. Investigative journalism. We don’t have enough of it and we need more of it. The fact that there are still people that are out there that consider it important enough to operate independently should give a bit of hope to us all.

The contextualised reasons seem slightly more obvious with a bit of background. Iceland’s PM, leader of the cause celebre for telling bankers to go do one, is suddenly under a lot of pressure. Putin’s links and potential hypocrisy are under investigation. Cameron’s links were initially out of many UK press articles, but they’ve had to amend some of them after the foreign news agencies looked like they were really taking the piss.

Looking forward to the rest of the week’s news agenda, I’d expect to see some Corbyn-bashing of the highest order. Not exactly sure what it is yet, but I’m sure they have something in reserve. And when I chortle along to whatever Bitterite voicing “genuine” questions about why JC didn’t put the correct number of sugars in his tea, or how JC once faced Mecca in a game of pin the tail on the donkey, I’ll know why it’s in the news.

Like almost everything, it’s merely chaff to send genuine missiles off target.

2 Likes

If I was Medias I prob wouldn’t have mentioned that David Cameron’s dead dad was in the Panamas either, bc he is RIP & it seems a bit mean.

So true Bear. The first movie was “The Message”. It was pure, and planted seeds of truth in many who were as Morpheus would say, “oblivious”.

The other two are a wonderfully ironic example of what happens when the purveyors of ‘the message’ realise the sheer potential to monetise their message and milk it for all it is worth. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

???

Prefer a fedora myself.

Another huge Moral Victory for the Standards and Ethics of Democracy.

Yep. They’re still all cunts.

1 Like

The only offshore account I ever had was that special club in Barcelona where the very kind people helped me set up a savings account with my MasterCard in the early hours one morning after I ran out of cash. The banks where shut and it will all be there for my next visit. That’s service for you.

1 Like

Cheers Bucks, I have sent that info to HMRC. Any other bros got confessions to make? It’ll go worse for you if you wait for me to read about it in papers srs.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’d like to say i’m surprised by all of this, but i’m really not. It just saddens me that our society revolves so much around hoarding as much money as you possibly can and paying as little tax on it as possible. Because fuck everyone else, right?

7 Likes

The thing about hoarding as much money as possible and fuck everyone else, is you have to be on the right end of it.

I have hoarded what’s left of my net cash from my ex wife. I am trying to fuck everyone else but it takes time. And she beat me to it.

11 Likes

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

???

for bonus points. Where are Panama hats from?

I keep saying you’ve been in Dubai too long, Phil. You’ve gone dictative :lou_sunglasses:

I know it looks terrible, but at least we live in a country in which investigative journalism, often extremely embarrassing to the powers that be, can still go on without someone being rounded up for execution. I’m not saying we’re above killing journalists, but it’s not the norm.

That said, it’s all a bit Stan/Loretta if the only consequence is people having a moan and saying they knew it was going along all the time.

“What’s the point? What’s the of fighting for your political freedom when you’ve got no fucking clue what it means?”

So I’ve sympathy with your point.

M&S?

1 Like

That decision is made for most of us the moment we emerge into this world - not too many get to do anything to change that! It’s a self-perpetuating cycle of privilege and wealth, earned off the backs of plebs like you and me…

We are just cogs in a wheel of endless misery. The world is fucked and there is nothing we can do to change it. All the mechanisms of change that are offered to us are false and the elite (the real elite, not the liberal elite) work together, across borders, to maintain the status quo without us even knowing.

Still, we are going to beat Newcastle 8-0 so it’s not all bad.

5 Likes

All I want is an internet connection…

2 Likes

Yes, we are all hoping you remain connected.

4 Likes