Redressing Local Wrongs

With the 80th anniversary of D Day approaching and the ceremonials and focus wrongly pointing 20 miles to the east, I thought all Sotonians would be keen to see the distortions corrected.
This self-funded book by local historian Kingsley Miller should be supported by all Sotonians with an interest in the story…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375329402295

4 Likes

Ordered :+1:
Right up my street that sort of thing :clap:

2 Likes

Let us know if it’s worth getting :+1:

1 Like

Dont know whether anyone on here has Apple TV or IPTV but I can thoroughly recommend Masters of the Air. It’s about the 8th Airforce in WW2 and specifically the 100th Bomb Group who were based at Thorpe Abbots in Norfolk. They were nicknamed The Bloody Hundreth due to the huge losses. The old control tower is about 4 miles from my house and has a superb museum that is truly humbling. These guys were little older than my son is now and they were flying daylight missions into Germany to bomb important strategic targets. The likelihood of making the golden 25 missions (so you could go home) was less than 25%. Average life expectancy was measured in weeks :pleading_face:

Anyway, brilliant watch, even better museum if you’re ever this way, good website if you’re interested in this kind of stuff. Can also recommend the book by Harry Crosby called A Wing and a Prayer.

1 Like

Yep, discussed on Streaming Recommendations thread.

1 Like

It was wonderful.
Now watch Foundation and Shogun, also on Apple
And if you want to be confused Constellation.
Which is mind fvckingly infuriatingly genius

I summarise the latest episode…
Mumma
Alice?

Mumma
Alice?

Mumma
Alice?

Mumma
Alice?

etc…etc. :crazy_face:

Yes and how the hell can someone make that SO exciting?

Sorry to pollute your history thread.

With a few caveats

Yeah a supposed 12 x 1 hour episode show got chopped down to 8 x 45 minutes otherwise wonderful

No, you know what I meant

Hmmm. :thinking:

Somebody is being cagey. :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Nah, As good as it was I gave an opinion that Master of t’ air had flaws & the accompanying book wasn’t all it was cracked up to be imho

Yes it looks good. I’m up to page 12 of 50 and the Southampton involvement is very impressive and makes a nonsense of it’s omission in a distorted history.

2 Likes

Slow reader?

Yep…one word at a time.

1 Like

Do your lips move as you run your finger over each letter in the word? :wink:

Yup.

Looks like he redressed for this photo

Don’t we all?

Not since I found Jolly Phonics