Saints' next manager

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

Emery, win Europa, get CL spot, laugh at all the wankers who left for greener pastures :)))

And there lies a big problem … he has just done that.

Why lose the chance of CL this season to join us, especially when bigger fish than us ie Milan and PSG are sniffing around as well.

1 Like

Think AVB is the most likely candidate, out of contract, won the Europa league before so has good experience of the competition, and did alright by most neutrals assessment with Spurs. Emery would be ok, but La Liga managers from mid-size club’s haven’t done too well when moving to the Prem (see Juande Ramos and Pepe Mel) so I’d be slightly more nervous about him.

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

Emery, win Europa, get CL spot, laugh at all the wankers who left for greener pastures :)))

And there lies a big problem … he has just done that.

Why lose the chance of CL this season to join us, especially when bigger fish than us ie Milan and PSG are sniffing around as well.

I was reading today that he may even have agreed terms with Milan, and that the clubs just need to agree the deal.

Interesting question though, and I perhaps risking local bias by saying that it is the overall quality of the league, and the money that is on offer. Both PSG and Milan can offer the money, and as you point out, can even offer CL football. Can they offer the exposure? Doubtful. French football is becoming a one-horse race, and Italian football doesn’t draw the global audience that the EPL commands.

Reported as keen on this move, though. Will attempt to find a source for that. The article I linked isn’t exactly authoritative.

Sevilla are fucking huge club, an awful lot bigger than we are, he’ll come for the money, profile and again a stepping stone.

I’ll go de Boer if he brings Stam and Berkamp.

I hate it when managers move for money.

Lee, my mate who knows about football, would like De Boer. 60.3% win percentage at Ajax. He’s won the Eredivisie five times. Better yet, we may actually get some of the best Ajax players, a nut we’ve not been able to crack.

Frank De Boer for me. A manager with the simular football style that we look to play and also we will do better than Everton and can say, look at the manager you could have had.

Others on the list I am not bothered with to be honest. Maybe AVB. Eddie will not leave Bouremouth and Matty, nah, lets leave that with the memories of his playing career and keep him as a legend, even though not serious on the poll I take it!

Whoever it is, I am ready to renew my season ticket for the first time since 2004/05 season.

1 Like

Its a job afterall. In the Koeman case (if he does go), I would not blame him. He has no reason to stay, he is being offered more money. Now if I was offered nearly 4 times as much salary for the same job, I would snap your hand off. No different, as it is his career.

1 Like

I was being sarcastic. Apologies.

2 Likes

Is it worth us choosing the best two candidates from interviews and keeping the spare one at Staplewood, ready to step straight in next summer?

9 Likes

I’d actually have one manager for one game and a different one for the next and then just keep rotating the two. Or have one for cup games and one for league.

Weeeeeeeeeeelllllll.

It has been mentioned in the past, but there are two qualified managers available both with 50% win ratios at SMS.

Neither would cost more than say 1mil a year and could start immediately, and there would be no problem with loyalty and longevity.

Old Nick & Myself, the relics from the legendary TSW matches at SMS…

Managers is an expensive business, so I think we should Go Dutch again, i.e. sit down and enjoy an expensive manager for 2 yrs, then get some other club to pick up half the bill.

Tks Everton.

3 Likes

I would have one for home games and one for away games. I would do the same with the team.

I’m bored of the Emery speculation and I don’t know whether AVB has the right win percentage.

Don’t think there’s enough lame duck jokes on this forum. I am making jokes, can you see?

Think you’ll have to explain the Lame Duck Jokes soz.

I don’t think current board will go Emery if he really don’t speak English, they got away with it Once, but that would be Tempting Fate.

I am ok with Howe or De Bear or AVB, I won’t moan if it’s any of them, unless they lose their first game srs.

2 Likes

Strachan came to us with a poor record, Redknapp was the man to dig you out of a relegation battle, Burley was the best man for promotion, Nige was a physio.

If football has told me anything in the last 15 years it’s confirmed that it is impossible to guess how a manager is going to perform.

I’ll be happy with anyone who can keep us in the top half of the table playing decent football, beating Everton, Liverpool and Spurs home and away.

4 Likes

I have no idea on any of these managers but if Dick Emery wants to come here than I am all for that BUT why would he want to come here when all we can give is Europa League football. At PSG or Milan or even Sevilla he’d have CL football.

Perhsps if one wants to know how a manager performs one should ask his Wife/Mistress/Jose’s Missus?