Saints V Liverpool Build Up and Match Thread

Or perhaps he has the fragile shoulders of a small girl who has never drunk milk so he felt intimidated when I got the guns out.

1 Like

I just hope we don’t have the usual moronic jeering every time an ex Saints player gets the ball. But i won’t be holding my breath.

Are the morons too thick to realize that it just motivates them and works against us?

Aye especially as in this game it would be almost constant…

SOUTHAMPTON TEAM NEWS

Team to play Liverpool: Forster, Cedric, van Dijk, Fonte, Bertrand, Davis, Romeu, Hojbjerg, Boufal, Austin, Redmond.

Subs: Yoshida, Clasie, Long, Rodriguez, Martina, Reed, Taylor.

LIVERPOOL TEAM NEWS

Team to play Southampton: Karius, Clyne, Matip, Lovren, Milner, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Can, Mane, Firmino, Coutinho.

Subs: Sturridge, Grujic, Klavan, Moreno, Lucas, Mignolet, Origi.

Cedric back but is he going to be fully ready? Nice to see Boufal starting.

1 Like

Never thought I’d say that 0-0 at home was both a good result and an entertaining game but it’s certainly appropriate for this one. Good job lads.

… and Plan B worked a treat Mr Puel.

Liverpool looked very good and wouldn’t be surprised to see them battling for the title at the end of the season.

4 Likes

Yup, this. Cedric didn’t put a foot wrong as well, very good to have him back for us. Feel Martina may have been exposed today.

2 Likes

Great point. Thought J Rod looked sharp when he came on.

3 Likes

Steve Davis put in a good mid table shift today

hoiberg and Redmond were utter shit today. Pleased with ask of the defence

Clattenberg - what a fucking shocking display of inconsistency.

A great battling point.

2 Likes

Clattehburg is such a massive cockend

2 Likes

Liverpool are a class act, as much as it galls me to admit it

3 Likes

Liverpool were presumably resting Lallana and Mane…

Can’t really agree with this. I thought they both put in a good shift. Redmond in particular was blowing out of his arse at the end. Didn’t stop working for the whole game.

A good point. Thought we set up not to lose and this meant that when we did get a break, particularly through Austin and Redmond in the first half, our forwards were isolated.

Liverpool played a really high line and Austin was never going to threaten them with his pace. Shame Long wasn’t fully fit.

Nice to see us reign in our attacking game and be more solid though.

Couple of good saves from FF.

Thought Austin had buried the header from See-Saws(?) excellent cross.

Clattenburg spends too long watching the ball in the air and misses all the off the ball pushes (particularly from Fermino). Generally, he is a useless cunt.

VVD was awesome again. His tackle on Mané in the first half was brilliant.

Prague next :lou_lol:

9 Likes

Thought Cedic was class today. The set-up for Charlie’s only chance of the day was magnificent…a precision cross on the run…full pelt. We’ve missed him. The defence were great today…hope they have a little left for Thursday.

I must say having no European football this season has been very noticeable when playing Liverpool today and Chelsea previously…their players are really fresh…looked yards quicker to the ball.

Good point.

9 Likes

Best 0-0 draw I’ve seen in a long time - very good match indeed, though let down by the shocking referee. Yes, he really is a prize prat, who loves to hog the llimelight and act like he’s the players’ bezzie mate. But that’s enough negativity.

We played very well I thought - Hojbjerg stood out for me, though nobody had a poor game. Defence was good and solid, with Virgil outstanding (as always); Forster made a couple of good saves too. Midfield soaked up a lot, closed down well, and moved forward nicely as and when the opportunity arose. Not brilliant up front I guess, though chances weren’t exactly plentiful. Austin should have hit the target with that second-half header though. Good too see Long and J-Rod back in action - as Mulletsaint said above, J-Rod did indeed look lively.

On to Prague - won’t be going to that, but I’d like to see J-Rod and Long start, maybe Tadic too if his nose is OK. I guess we already know that Claude’s pretty hot when it comes to this rotation lark, so I feel confident the team we put out will be up to the task.

8 Likes

well it seems my criticism of Hoiberg hasn’t gone down well. I saw some good things from him but also him giving the ball away a lot. Redmond didn’t seem to make any impact in the game at all and I didn’t even really notice him in the second half.

I’m happy to stand corrected as I know fuck all about football and an only really here on the off chance of cyber romance.

3 Likes

:lou_is_a_flirt: