Saints v West Ham Match Thread

Originally posted by @Goatboy

Yoshi had a good game which makes me want to hop over to Steveweb to laugh at people.

A good defensive performance in general.

Still no paper towels in the toilets :lou_sad:

Plenty in the bogs under Block 34 at half-time.

And the fans sounded pretty feckin superb the whole game and especially in the second half.

3 Likes

Vic sending off… understaan all the arguments that it should have been yellow…but, I thought the rules were clear that even if minimal contact is made, even if there is no intent, the player MUST remain in control and play the conditions. If you slide around because its wet and in effect endanger other players, its dangerous play and should more often than not be red. I actually think its the fact that many refs DONT follow the laws of game (eg most usually give a yellow, no penalties for holding at corners etc,…) that is the problem here, because when they do, we find it incredulous.

Yes, Klattenburg is a twat, but he was right, as Vic was NOT incontrol in that ‘tackle’ - Klat the twat was inconsitent again though.

2 Likes

Extra Saturday drinking time

1 Like

Looking at the table, closing an 8 point gap on Arsenal is going to be pretty tough going, if they beat Bouremouth I think that we can still finish 5th at best… But still WOW if we do!

At the time I thought Wanyama’s wild scissor tackle from behind was a red, the fact that he didn’t put the bloke in a wheelchair was just good fortune.

TV doesn’t change that opinion, it just highlights Clattenberg’s appalling inconsistency.

The rules have changed, 1980 asked for its tackle back.

As for the West Ham player’s challenge - clear red card, only saved by Bertrand’s mature reaction - perhaps we need to get into ref’s faces more.

2 Likes

I would like to take all the credit for our recent success. Starting the match threads appears to be working a charm.

However I was reliably informed yesterday evening that our run of form is entirely down to the wearing of a pair of massive false tits by a lady in the South Western.

Pap and I were titnotized.

4 Likes

I would like to take 20% of the credit for starting the Watford thread, which I should still hold the match threads as we have not lost since, but I was unceremoniously relieved of my duties my a cowgirl!

1 Like

… you think you got a bad deal… :lou_sad:

3 Likes

If you read the west ham forums they are seething about klattenburg. He may be incnsistent, but he appears to be pretty even handed with his inconsistency, therefore I can only conclude that he is a fair ref.

2 Likes

:lou_surprised: now I am confused :lou_lol:

So the fact that both sets of fans think he is inconsistent makes him consistent?

1 Like

He’s consistently inconsistent.

Thing I dislike most about Clattenburg, is the way he seems to take things personally, and hold grudges. He seems to be the consummate unprofessional. I would bet that his little notebook fills up extremely fast, and he probably has them on monthly (fuck, perhaps even weekly!) re-order. I imagine that he sits down in his dressing room before a game, reading back through all his previous notes on the two teams he’s about to referee, and takes a mental note of who has pissed him off previously, by way of giving him attitude, dissent, previous management comments about his performances etc. – and then proceeds to enact his revenge on the field of play. He just comes across as being that self-important.

His thought process seems to go something like this:

“Hmmm, was that contact from the defender there in the box? Who is it? Yoshida… hmmm let me think… naaa, he’s a respectful dude, and told me I had a good game last time out. ‘Plaaay oooonnn’…”

“Hmmm, that tackle looked a bit late, where’s my yellow card…hmmm, actually, that was Wanyama. That wanker mouthed me off when I sent him off last time, and is a moaning cunt who is always challenging my authority. Fuck it – have another Red you cunt!”

Anyway, the game.

I didn’t get home til about 4am, so it must’ve been a good result.

That defence is looking back to being the utterly impenetratable clean-sheet machine of last season. The rare fleeting occasions the opposition contrive to create the opportunity to actually manage a shot on target against us – we know it is ok and can remain calm – as we have a brick wall completely filling up the goal called Fraser Forster, and anything that gets through will just bounce safely away.

That defensive unit, including the central midfield shield, is a thing of great beauty. I must admit, I fucking hate it when we sit so deep and invite pressure, it is so mentally exhausting to watch. But somehow the exemplary organisation they are drilled with, makes it work when we feel the ‘need’ to do it. To us fans watching, it feels so nerve-wracking, but even when having to move across to cover and making last ditch blocks in the box – they just seem so calm and unflustered – and this seems to eventually break the will of the opponents, to the extent they do not believe that they can or will score against us. It’s like watching a war of attrition, where we know that if we remain focused, our collective will shall prevail, and we will outlast them.

As has been said, Vic’s sending off was a very harsh Red Card, Clattenburg was clearly influenced to change his original decision (and is a cunt), but ultimately, you just cannot go making that tackle (that wasn’t even necessary), in those conditions, as you force the referee to make a decision which can end with your dismissal, and you fucking over your team-mates and supporters for the third time in the season.

Fantastic battling display from the whole side (although Pelle, who did actually seem to run and press a bit more today rather than standing in the middle pointing at where everyone else should be running and pressing, offered very little to the side). Virgil was a monster, Fonte was cool and classy under pressure, and Romeu was once again superb when he came on, and is fast becoming my favourite player.

TLDR; in summary – it was a game of one goal, two cunts, three points, and provides a richly deserved opportunity for Oriol Romeu to have a long run in the side and prove what a quality player he is. He was unjustly removed to make way for Wanyama’s return from his previous suspension. Now he has a great chance to make that position his own. :lou_sunglasses:

11 Likes

Well, THAT was a fun evening down the Pub with the gang.

Some of you Tweeters may have noticed a Golf thing going on, so besides me running round like a looney, a number of our crew were partaking of Green Cans & catching some rays during the afternoon to get in the mood.

We arrived early to see the 2nd half of the LIVvSUN fame on the Telly and our honorary Dubai Saint Paul Collingwood was watching his lot take the p1ss out of the Scousers with the rest of his MCL team (including lots of old cricket types that we didn’t recognise but were actually kinda really famous once - Andrew Symonds being one of them)

We thanked him for stealing the 2 points and all settled down to watch Rorke’s Drift. Cracking Stuff, so hard to pick an MotM. Within 10 minutes of Big Vic being sent off we’d got to a point where the entire bar was screaming RED CARD every time Clottenburg blew his whistle - even for throw ins. Personally it made me feel a lot better after my ecounter with him in the Bathroom at a previous Horse Race thing where I simply said Oi Clattburger - you are an arrogant cnut. (Got a round of applause but abuse from Mrs D_P who said I should rise above that kind of thing - I said I did, at least I didn’t p1ss on him)

Anyway the cricket boys even bought us a round of beers at the end of the game (something no Golfer has ever done)

At the end of the day we actually WON a game with Clitbunger in charge, so that in itself marks progress. Everyone put in an awesome stint, Chazza SHOULD have scored to keep the fantasy signing momentum alive and #WeMarchOn to Egg Chasing land next week.

Peter Drury & Jim Beglin did state on air that this win gives momentum which could see us push all the way in to the top 4. At that point we did wonder whether the crciket crew had put something in our beers.

Other moments?

We got listed in one of the National Papers with the tag line "

A table is reserved for every televised game inside the main bar and, regardless of performance, the Saints live by a strict motto: “If the game is rubbish who cares?”

Outside of football, the group enjoy bonding together by photo-bombing golf tournaments. Such high-jinks encapsulate this slightly avant garde football supporters’ club. They consider themselves more of a family above anything else."

Next time must remember to be sober when doing an interview.

And also. Since the Capital 1 Debacle we have stopped wearing colours to the Pub.In fact our official dress code is now Grey Shirts - we haven’t lost since we adopted it.

We have also been given a new nickname

Dubai International Casual Krew.

Dicks

5 Likes

Oi … I have a Patent on The Nickname :wink:

However I shall be wearing my Red Training shirt on Saturday - it’s got quite a good track record since I bought, although the 1-6 was a bit of a setback!!

Hoping for a spontaneous 40 points “We are staying up party” post match anh watch Wales give the Sweaties a good thrashing.