Serious question and not knee-jerk

Sort of matters when we’re talking about and what defines a ‘smaller’ club. Most clubs outside of London, Manchester and Liverpool have won things in the maximum wage era, when football was more of a level playing field (but still not a level playing field…) or more recently, have usually needed an exceptional manager to win anything

Which clubs around our size have won more than us?

The skates - two leagues in the maximum wage era; one FA cup won, another one bought (for which they’re still paying the price)

Ipswich - (smaller club if anything) a league under Alf Ramsey, a Uefa cup, and FA cup - so they have, yes

Forest - two European cups, a league, numerous league cup under a genius manager, plus a couple of FA cups before - yes

Derby - Clough again - two leagues with his team. An FA cup after the war - yes

Sunderland - All their honours were before WW2 (most before WW1) except 1973 FA Cup, so I think they’ve underperformed us

Newcastle - a bigger club, but have won nothing since the Fairs cup in the 1960s - underperformed

Boro - similar size (?) - a league cup and a UEFA cup final probably better then us

Leeds - a bigger club. Revie plus another league

We’ve done better than both Sheffield clubs. Perhaps because there ARE two Sheffied clubs

Burnley - smaller club, but have won more, albeit before the lifting of the maximum wage

Blackburn - yup, but had a sugar daddy

Wolves, WBA - yes, but a long time ago

Wigan, Swansea - smaller clubs, but have won the same as us

Smaller London clubs - Wimbledon, QPR, Charlton as much as us, Fulham, Palace no

Not significantly (or at all) - Leicester, Coventry, Stoke, Norwich, Birmingham

Conclusion - quite a lot of clubs who are roughly our size have won more than us. Often this was a long time ago. Many clubs our size have won the same or less than us. But we’re talking about one/two trophies here - another cup win would make us one of the best performing of the ‘provincial’ clubs, certainly in modern times

4 Likes

Originally posted by @Fatso

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Can you think of a club our size that has won so little?

Get a grip Barry, you big bellend.

That’s a bit much Fatso, get a grip of a big bellend, you’re sick man.

Ipswich
Skates

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Norwich won the League Cup in 85 and I wouldn’t say they are bigger than us, Sunderland are bigger than us but have won more in their history, the simple thing is for a club our size (medium in England) is we have won so little in our history, we have some great acheivements but a very poor record of actually winning things, smaller clubs have won far more than we have. It really pisses me off we have won so little,I can’t think of any.

Well now, to bat your own question back at you, can you name some of these smaller clubs that have won far more than we have?

Ipswich Skates

Have a read through SO5 4BW’s post above; he lays things out in some detail. No point in my repeating his words.

Other than that, you’ve managed to name two clubs you think are smaller than us but who have won more. Is that it?

Lots of clubs recently have achieved more, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Wigan.

That’s three recently then. Hardly what I’d call lots.

Lots of clubs recently have achieved more, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Wigan.

Ironic bro! Only last night I was thinking to myself, shit, this is pretty bad, but at least I don’t support Fulham, Middlesborough, or Wigan

5 Likes

Harsh Bear. Fulham have a neutral end which is what any decent footie fan aspires for.

Did you seriously think that we were going to win the Europa league?

It has become harder and harder for teams outside the top 4/6 to win a major trophy, with most of them dominated by these ‘top 6’ clubs.

Even though we were in the top flight for 27 years 78-2005 before being relegated, I would say that we were pretty crap for much of that time, apart from the early part of the 80’s and a couple near the end of the 80’s, we were a relegation battle team. We returned a few years ago and have had a great time.

1 Like

since we became a top flight club for more than a season, football has been dominated in large by the below.

80’s - Liverpool/Everton/arsenal

90’s - Man U and Arsenal

00’s -Man U and Chelsea.

10’s - Man City and Chelsea

Apart from these teams only Blackburn have won the premier league (pots of money) since 92 (excluding Liverpool and Everton this is just 5 teams that have won the premier league title in 23 years.

The cup is a flipping lottery. We got to 2 semi finals in the 80’s of which one of them we should have won and would have on a different day. The other went to extra time and we lost 2-0. A few league cup quarters in the 80’s and 90’s that we managed to screw up. Seem to remember Luton Town, Oldham and Stockport off the top of my head. 4 cup finals, which 2 were in the 70’s and one in 2005 and one in 2010. We lost 2 of them narrowly, beat Carlisle comfortably. The other was one of the biggest cup final shocks behind Sunderland beating Leeds, when we beat Man U when in the 2nd tier.

When you look at that you would say that we have done ok in the cups really, just lifted the 2 though, but still better than many overall.

I’m starting to think this was knee-jerk, and isn’t a serious question. Hope I’m wrong tho!

3 Likes

I agree.

Barry. The site loves you. This is why I head-hunted you from the Grey Havens of TUI to come over. I think this forum has treated you like the king you pretend to be, Your Bajesty.

I think you have been comprehensively answered here, and an honest man (we all know you are that, you _did _fucking live in Liverpool!) would respond to some of the very sensible points that have been put to him.

And perhaps admit temporary titdom. It’s ok. It happens, and believe me, this is a mild case.

1 Like

Just look at teams smaller than us who have had great runs in Europe, two clubs arguably smaller than us got to the Final, a great part of their history if not their finest, our finest achievement was 39 years ago, we can not continue to use that as a comfort blanket, if anything its a millstone around our necks when lesser teamns have achieved more on less than we have.

If Saints fans weren’t so complaisant, we’d prob have won the Champions League last season

1 Like

Is that French?

1 Like

Even Wimbledon won the FA cup in 1988! Why can’t we win something! They played long ball as well, so we can’t use that as an excuse.

They did,

Swansea

Birmingham

Middlesbrough

Blackburn

Leicester

Sheffield Wednesday

Forest

Luton Town

Norwich

Wolverhampton

Ipswich

West Ham

Coventry

Wimbledon

Skates

Wigan

Have won Cup s since we won ours, also Blackburn won the League, granted they were bankrolled but so were United, also take into acount Finals these teams have been in, Fuiham and MiddlesBorugh in the UEFA Cup.

I think Koeman needs to adopt some Crazy Gang mentality.

He tried that and hurt his leg, he should stick to his rigid Protestant upbringing, he’ll be right and so will we after that, he ain’t no dancer.

Since 2010?

1 Like