Sexist debate on LinkedIn

I spend half of my day imagining that I have been invited to be the rampant Goaty filling in a Lianne La Havas/Freida Pinto sapphic sandwich, or wondering if I have the horn for Taylor Swift because of, or in spite of her cold, dead, shark eyes.

The other half of the day I just piss about.

3 Likes

Make coffee and sit on Sotonians of course (not literary of course).

1 Like

Flirting = fine (so long as you get the hint if it’s unwanted).

Hitting on a stranger with a comment about her looks in a professional environment = creepy/sexist.

Being in a position of power and making unwanted advances - really, really uncomfortable for the person on the receiving end. Sackable offence, male or female.

3 Likes

OK, I see you have no intention to debate the issue. You are judge and jury in this matter.

I see now I should have just made silly posts about booblies right from the start and complied better with your expectations.

1 Like

Divorce lawyer: “I submit in support of my client’s claim, this thread, Sexist debate on LinkedIn, hosted on an Internet forum replete with reprobates known as Sotonians.com

Fuck it. I’m gonna play some Civilization V

1 Like

Enjoy your conquests :cool:

Originally posted by @Ohio-Saint

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Hitting on a stranger with a comment about her looks in a professional environment = creepy/sexist.

Being in a position of power and making unwanted advances - really, really uncomfortable for the person on the receiving end. Sackable offence, male or female.

OK, I see you have no intention to debate the issue. You are judge and jury in this matter.

I see now I should have just made silly posts about booblies right from the start and complied better with your expectations.

Hang on, is this a lawyer based joke, or are yo really annoyed with me. You know jokes go over my head, so I need confirmation :wink:

I confirm that jokes do go over your head.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

I confirm that jokes do go over your head.

They do on here! I don’t understand it - I’m sure this doesn’t happen in real life :frowning:

What we need is a little clown emoticon to help you out.

But seriously, I don’t know how to respond! I don’t like people being annoyed with me! But I can’t tell if it was a piss take or genuine. Help me here, Ohio! Don’t leave me like this!

I like Linkedin.

It’s full of lies in the text and lies in the photos. And yes, there are shitloads of women who feel the need to have to show themeselves in ‘party attire’, looking good, facebook-like photographs while stating that their job (usually far more mundane than that described) is something quite unique as are they.

It was obviously naive of me to think that it would be a rather boring, factual online CV-type system with passport-style pictures.

Maybe she’s new to it, too?

Edit. It is more an age-thing, ofc. Over 40s probably have a bit too much lard to squeeze into a selfie.

Thanks Goatboy, that would be very helpful. Might ruin the dry humour on here, but it would be worth it just to avoid the annoyance of having to explain your jokes to me. :frowning:

Well, I’ve just finished her speech. Can’t see how she’s got to be a barrister. She conflates this view of ‘objectification’ with ‘equality’. Ad hominem argument. No time to argue subtleties and little point as this forum’s sufficiently erudite (in the main).

As for how she looks, as she’s put it out there and made comment in public she’s made herself a target as does everyone who puts their head above said parapet.

I can’t see that there is any suggestion that he, for example, did not offer a position solely because of her gender. I don’t agree that his saying ‘stunning’ is in reference to the professionalism (or otherwise) of her choice of photograph provided that that which he said was solely that and there was nothing other to qualify it although it is plausible because the word would only be used were it to refer to the photograph specifically so it must have referred to her.

If she’s insulted by someone calling her that, however, she has a problem. Either it’s a cheesy (and bad and inappropriate because he’s married) pick-up line or it’s a compliment. That said I’m down with not giving compliments, so you go girl.

Originally posted by @Ohio-Saint

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Well, seeing as I have no idea if you’re joking or serious, I’m gonna reply as if you’re serious. Just so I’ve covered all eventualities.

Not sure where you got the ‘no intention to debate the issue’. I wrote one of my dumb summaries in reply to Bear’s comment about flirting - just to be clear that this isn’t about flirting. I’ve experienced all of the above, and don’t think it was an unfair summary.

The reason I kept the question open in my first post, was because the part of the debate I’m less sure about is the public shaming. While I understand her reasoning for doing so, I still don’t think the humiliation fits his actions. But I don’t know. On the other hand, she’s done a lot of women a service by doing so.

I suspect he’s a bloke who grew up in another era, who’s never had his knuckles rapped that this isn’t the done thing anymore. For that I feel some empathy. Whether or not I’d have sympathy for him if I ever met him, is another matter.

If you were joking - haha you got me there.

1 Like

Originally posted by @Burp

If she’s insulted by someone calling her that, however, she has a problem. Either it’s a cheesy (and bad and inappropriate because he’s married) pick-up line or it’s a compliment. That said I’m down with not giving compliments, so you go girl.

If it’s a one off, I can understand that argument. But from what she said it’s a common theme, which isn’t complimentary anymore, it’s quickly insulting.

Wow you’re so cynical, Burp. Just what this forum needs.

booblies

My best mate’s wife is a photographer. I helped her build her portfoliio when she was learning by getting her some work at Golf down here.

She is a seriously feisty and strong minded person who champions Womens’ rights.

And boy did she lose it over this issue on FB today.

Basically as she said so many people but awful selfies onto a website that is designed to promote YOUR personal brand. In fact she loses a lot of revenue because people do not have proper professional photos taken.

So she totally agrees with every word the guy said. Somebody who puts a proper paid for Professional Photo onto LinkedIn SHOULD be praised.

(And yes I have a proper one. It was done by a really good pal of Mrs D_P. And no, it hasn’t brought me a single Job Interview or consulting client. Probably because I don’t have…)

Enough hair anymore