Sexist debate on LinkedIn

If, as a number of people have suggested, the chap in question was referring to the quality of the photograph rather than the looks of its subject, why then did he feel the need to preface his approbation with a comment about being massively politically incorrect? Why would he think it non-PC to admire the quality of a professional photographer’s work?

And, for that matter, could anyone here imagine the same man complimenting another man (Dubai Phil perhaps?) on the quality of his LinkedIn photo in quite those words?

Personally, I think that putting the whole thing up on Twitter was wrong (a private conversation should be remain that, unless there are very good reasons for it to be made public, which I can’t see in this case).

2 Likes
  1. Was he actually hitting on her or really just paying her a compliment (arent we allowed to do that to “wimmin” anymore)?

2. How ageist was her comment about her being half his age? What the fuck has that got to do with anything? He wasnt exactly asking her out and even if he was, plenty of older guys date younger women. I assume the younger women had a say in the process and werent bothered about the age difference.

I read a number of comments yesterday from women who feel that this has put feminism back years. I dont believe that to be the case but I do think that this lady could and should have handled the situation better. Publicity seeking maybe?

SOG, have you ever emailed a stranger within your industry, on LinkedIn to tell her you thought she was a stunner?

If not, why take it so personally?

Oh and, the reaction that “this has put feminism back years” is frankly, putting feminism back years. Whether it’s women or men who have said it.

1. He was hitting on her, fishing for a response. It was sleazy behaviour, which he kind of recognised with his dumbass comment about political incorrectness.

2. Not at all. Why is it ageist? No one should ever be held to account for saying they’re not attracted to someone as old as or older than her own parents.

5 Likes

Here’s a nice sensible summary for anyone still fretting over whether you can flirt or pay a woman a compliment anymore…

Three simple rules for paying compliments

2 Likes

Yipe.

But let Ms Proudman’s fate be a warning to Mr Carter-Silk’s own daughter, who has herself been lucky enough to catch her father’s eye over the years. “Whilst I should not encourage lascivious comments about my daughter,” runs a newly unearthed Facebook post by him below a picture of 27-year-old fitness trainer Ellie Carter-Silk, “Yeee gods she is hot!”

Originally posted by @pap

Yipe.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/11/alexander-carter-silk-charlotte-proudman-trump-father-daughter

But let Ms Proudman’s fate be a warning to Mr Carter-Silk’s own daughter, who has herself been lucky enough to catch her father’s eye over the years. “Whilst I should not encourage lascivious comments about my daughter,” runs a newly unearthed Facebook post by him below a picture of 27-year-old fitness trainer Ellie Carter-Silk, “Yeee gods she is hot!”

But is she as hot as Jose Mourinho’s Daughter?

No I ain’t posting that pic of her…

Ooh I just want to point out that I am very happily married and there is no way on earth I would be interested in some 18 year old rich bitch. I was merely vocabularising what the photos in the Daily Fail were implicating regarding her outfit…

Honest.

2 Likes

Yipe.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/11/alexander-carter-silk-charlotte-proudman-trump-father-daughter

I have a hot daughter. OK, I wouldn’t put the words “Yeee gods” in front of that sentence, but I know what I see, and I would say my daughter is hot, but with a lot of embarrassment in my tone for saying that.

This lawyer guy has a very faulty filter, for sure. However, I still think his public shaming before any attempt at clarifying the situation properly between the two parties involved was a very cheap shot, and very unprofessional for a barrister.

Being that all these people are legal eagles, shouldn’t the phrase “Beyond a reasonable doubt” be applied somewhere before the sentencing?

1 Like

rule 1.

Have we found out what the sexiest debate on LinkedIn is yet?

Yipe.

I like Marina Hyde - she’s funny. She also introduces me to words I’ve never seen before (ague)

This lawyer bloke’s a proper tool. Am undecided about his very public shaming though - although veering towards ‘deserved’.

Originally posted by @TheCholulaKid

Yipe.

I like Marina Hyde - she’s funny. She also introduces me to words I’ve never seen before (ague)

That article just made me laugh out loud! Complex business Dads and daughters.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

That article just made me laugh out loud! Complex business Dads and daughters.

Clearly for some people.

Dads are the worst people to judge anyway. Your daughters are always the most beautiful things in the world, but for far less shallow reasons than this guy managed to enumerate. Girls never believe their dads when they ask “do I look alright?”. They know we’re biased.

Personally I am just very pleased that my two seem to have avoided the midget and ginger genes, and got the brainy one.

I guess I feel we shouldn’t judge a guy for his parenting skills based on one comment on Facebook. Family’s are complex and we have no context. The lines are much much clearer regarding workplace sexism. And he crossed one.

1 Like

I thought his exact words were that it was a stunning picture, not that she was a stunner. Subtle difference.

Was he really hitting on her? Open to interpretation. Sleazy? There was no sexual conent in his email whatsoever.

It is ageist because there are no rules about age in consenting relationships above the age of 16. There are plenty of men in relationships with women “half their age.”

Apparently Ms Proudman is no stranger to the objectification of others. On Facebook she has written “hot stuff” in realtion to one guys picture and “ooo lalala” to another. No doubt this is totally acceptable as it was only Facebook but the words standard and double spring to mind.

2 Likes

I’m not on Facebook so I wouldn’t know, but isn’t that the place where you talk to your friends?

1 Like