Should the rich pay for your kid's free lunch?

Given my memories of the quality of school dinners, I would not be so sure that this is a massive vote winner. Anemic sausage and soggy veg?

2 Likes

Fuck sake, @cb-saint .

You know we’ve moved on a lot, nutritionally, from 1882.

That’s why you’re in the mess you’re in.

Give up, roll over and pay for it. As others have indicated, there are plenty of decent state schools and plenty of ways to improve the schools your kids might be going to, be that the raising of levies (which parents really don’t object to), fundraisers and any number of other initiatives.

For all the high-mindedness about the symbolism of being in the EU and looking out for each other, you’ve decided that you’d rather not have your kids looked after by the state system. That’s your choice, and you’re paying for it, but you’d be a textbook example of someone that abandons principles for personal reason, at least according to my Politics teacher.

I met plenty of privately educated kids at LJMU. Their parents must have been fucking gutted. All that money spent to produce a worse fuckwitted arrogant cunt, languishing in a Mickey Mouse Insurance University, on course for a Desmond.

Lol

1. What mess am I in exactly? Was not aware I am in any mess…

2. Nope, not where I live -should Imove to a more expensive catchment area? take on a bigger mortgage because I could afford it and deny a state place in a good school to someone else who is less fortunate to be able to afford an independent school… ? maybe that would be fairer

3. haha - bringing the EU into this debate is a new low even for you… jeez

4. in your arrogance you are completely missing the point- it has nothing to do with deciding I would rather not have the ‘state look after my kids’ - but two separate principles 1) the state is currently failing in its duty of care to provide a CONSISTENT standard of education and reosurce to ALL schools in ALL areas, and 2) the STATE should not control the decisions parents make for their kids unless you want a dictatorship? Subtle but important differences so dont so so blinkered and deliberately try to steer this away from your real issue… you just dont agree with independent education… just admit it and move on.

5. ‘abandons principles for personal reason’ its very easy to have principles in your ivory tower hey pap… as you started it, what if all those MPs had stuck to their own principles and voted against the Brexit bill instead of abandoning them to the worries of re-election… you like everyone else has different perspectives on the same principles depending on how they support your opinion… is a natural human phenomenon so get off your high horse- its just an illusion and everyone on here can see through it…

6. Your last point - ‘pap’ meets independentaly educated fuckwits at Uni and is using this to try and insinuate what exactly?’ I met plenty of ignorant cunts from BOTH independent and state schools at university - as well as very decent and balanced folks educated in both environments. Sadly i met very few (cunts or decent folk) from schools with minimal resources and 35+ in class rooms because they simply dont get the same opportunities- That is the fucking disgrace in this debate and where Corbyn should be addressing his energies, not on pseudo populist bollocks like the shit he is spouting - he is turning off many left of centre voters with his idiotic fantasies…

You need to be less arrogant if you want to be taken seriously on this one.

I’m not insinuating anything other than it is.

Parent spends money for twelve years because they want the best for their kids. Their kids end up in a former poly, while gifted and talented state school kids buzz off to the red bricks.

Those that aren’t loaded will have made time sacrifices to earn the cash, meaning they’ve missed more of their kids’ childhoods, and crucially, have spent less time personally educating them.

School is but one component of education. If you want your kids to have a leg up, why not teach them to read and write before they hit reception, as we did, and my mum did with me?

Effort, innit?

…as mentioned elsewhere, its not all about a ‘leg up’- you still make no sense. Independent schooling does not make you any smarter - if you are too dumb to take advantage of the opportunity, then it wont help in life…Within the state system there are many examples of smart kids battling against the odds to gain decent grades at fine universities - and yes their parents will be rightly proud… BUT the fricken point is there are many more smart kids who get left behind because they cant do it by themselves and the schools do not have the resources to provide them all with the same opportunity… seriously pap, I am surprised you don’t get thus very simple point. You are arguing with opposites - which is play ground stuff.- ‘‘I met thick twats form independent schools at uni…;;hahhaahhaha what a waste of money’’… insunating its all a waste of money given you can point to some great successes form the state system’… jeez Pap, you even sound like Corbyn now.

You think parents dont know that school is but one component of education? It’s why there are plenty of decent balanced folks in both systems as well as fuckwits…

You’re just ranting now, @areloa-grandee .

If your kids can read and write when they hit reception, chances are they’ll be moved up a year at some point. Juvy #2 got a GCSE at fourteen, will get an A level a year early, and will be able to concentrate on three A levels in her final year, instead of juggling the demands of four.

In addition to the academic experience she has got, she has also got to meet people from different backgrounds. If we’re talking about preparation for later life, I think the comprehensive system is flat out better.

Let’s face it - no one actually gives a fuck about GCSEs or A-Levels beyond them being a prerequisite for something else. They’re stepping stones to something bigger and better, be that an academic career or becoming a skilled artisan or tradesman. There are more cost-effective, more rewarding ways for parents to help their kids to achieve that objective.

You can blather on all you like pap, but I don’t think chuts needs ur or corbyn’s input into how he raises his kids.

The questions at hand imo are:

a) Is this a good way of identifying people in society who need to pay More Tax, and

1. Is buying schoolkids a free lunch regardless of want or need, a gd use of Taxpayer Dollar
3 Likes

Entirely. It’s a luxury item.

1. Is buying schoolkids a free lunch regardless of want or need, a gd use of Taxpayer Dollar

Yup. Numerous studies have shown that poor nutrition can lead to poorer academic outcomes. Teachers are presently paying for meals out of their own, relatively meagre salaries.

Not as important, but in an age where our hard power is rightfully on the decline, I think it would be something marvellous if we could say “we feed all our kids until the age of 11”.

Its the same old plan bear. Introduce a new tax saying it will be for something no one can argue with. Walking sticks for kids cause not all kids walk so well or whatever. Then change in government, new people come in, same as the last. But these ones say, hang on, not all kids need walking sticks, why are we giving all kid these walking sticks and not doing some kind of test to see if they need them or not. Who are argue with that? All the kids that don’t need the sticks are sword fighting with them and running them up and down railings. That is annoying. Let’s means test them!

Success, found out only 1 in 100 actually need a stick, saving the government and the tax payer loads. Who doesn’t like that?

But… now this is the clever bit… keep the new tax (which isn’t new anymore and people are used to) in place to fund bombs or tax breaks for the rich or your mates or whatever.

4 Likes

We should end means testing. Causes more trouble than it solves.

So, ur saying people who need more tax are anyone who buys a luxury item? So why pick on chuts? He’s at least spending it on Education, it’s not like he’s buying ferarris or spending £5 on Saintsweb. Why not target them cunts instead?

Isn’t Trump’s budget controller Mike Moroney trying to scrap free/subsidised meals for schoolchildren in the states? He made some loud nervous noises that there was evidence that suggests no direct correlation between feeding kids and an improvement in academic acheivements. I don’t think Moroney had any statistics for the correlation between food and general health or quality of life. I’m also inclined to think that his evidence was based on one of Trump’s tweets, I don’t know though I can’t be bothered to check.

3 Likes

That’s the way it is for anyone hit by the indirect tax on VAT, including the poor.

If VAT can be levied on utility bills, then it can sure as shit be levied on dismissive attitudes to state schools.

Ranting? hardly - its not ranting pap just because you say it is… you have a bit of an ‘emporer’ complex going on here… andI suspect your own shoulders are full carrying their own deep fried potato burden…

Pap and Corbyn now like Mrs T - shove VAT on verything - additional tax by stealth - its no different a policy, just a different/new target… rather than looking at a more just and simple income tax system that ensures an appropriate educational spending plan that creates higher quality and consistency between all schools - If that happens then, yes an independent education would indeed be a ‘luxury’ (whether it warrants and additional tax is another matter), but until then its not. The question is very simple. Is my daughter getting access to better facilties, appropriate class sizes, breadth of subjects, IB instead of limitations of A levels, and extra curricular activities than she could get at the local comp? YES,

Does the local Comp have success stories despite being underfunded, under resourced ? Yes, but this is simply not the norm through no fault of anyone other than government fiscal policy. You comments suggets that if kids somehow fail to shine under these conditions its the parents fault… a rather patronizing and also insulting perspective IMHO.

1 Like

Here you go again, making more sweeping genarlisations than the daily mail headline writers - you missed your vocation

2 Likes

In principle, you can’t really argue against the policy. Ensuring that every kid who walks through school doors in the morning will get a good quality meal on the premises without having to pay is fantastic. The only problem i’m seeing (very clearly displayed on this thread) is how it’s paid for, with the tax on private school fees. However, if he said he was going to pay for it by borrowing he’d be ridiculed, so what’s he to do?

He can’t have all policies funded by borrowing, because then he’d be ridiculed by the press even further. The issue he has is that this Government has been so psychotically obsessed with cutting spending that there’s far less room to move money around in a budget, so most new policies will have to be funded with tax increases or borrowing increases. Which would you prefer Chut?

3 Likes

I quite like the skin on custard.

5 Likes

… Its the classic emotive reasoning… take a position on an issue that can not be morally countered - Of course ALL children should be fed and have decent nutrition - the fact we live in a society that does not provide this is shameful especially as we waste so much…and we do have the economy to support it should we ALL pay an appropriate amount of tax to fund it… we dont have a population as a whole that is willing to consider a higher taxation as they have in many European countries to fund it all… a legacy of the Thatcher years and the constant shit about ‘tax and spend’ being a bad thing… its should not be about 'borrow and spend, but about tax and spend… the issue I have is that the ‘tax’ part seems to be less about a fair taxation approach, and more about being highly selective about who they tax, based on rather niave and ignorant perceptions of affordibilty and a suggetsion that its a luxury because you can get the same form the state no matter where you live which is simply total and utter laod of bollocks… but there is a lot of such ‘shout it loud enough and long enough and people will believe anything’ about this - something that used to be mostly a Tory mantra, but is now filtering into Corbyn’s repetoire of political tools…