Sometimes I Miss The Other Place

JWP is not the finished player as yet. He might not make the cut, whatever that is? He gets picked to play in the first eleven, so has something about him that’s for sure! A player, playing regularly in a top 7 premier league team, I would almost say that he has pretty much done quite well thus far for a young lad.

I take it they are basing it on his bad touch which lead to a goal last night?

Idiots! Never go on their now unless I need a reminder of how good it is on here.

Originally posted by @jet-sounds

Originally posted by @Goatboy

There are only a handful of posters over there that have the slightest idea what they are talking about.

Most are of the Pastor Patron level of footie knowledge.

Sorry Goatboy, I’m not gonna toe the party line, JWP is not really as good as you and others think he is.

I did not mean to up vote that post! It seems the OP has changed their stance or dragged us in, to then start putting the player down on here… Weird.

I find it entertaining. My favourite moments are usually when MLG has offered a simple correction to some dufus comment and said dufus goes into raging meltdown.

For this alone, MLG is my favourite poster there.

Pure comedy.

6 Likes

A few years ago, watching Lallana, I said that he could well be a star if only he had a yard of pace. A couple of seasons later he seemed to gain that yard from somewhere.

JWP could well be a star. He is 20 years old. I have my reservations but I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

6 Likes

In other words, we do not know so we will keep faith in the coaching and management, who seem to think he is heading in the right direction!

3 Likes

I think one of the problems when accessing JWP is that he seems to have been around so long - that FA Cup goal against Coventry seems an absolute age ago - it’s easy to forget how young he still is. Having said that, I haven’t seen much evidence that his game has developed that much in the last 12 months or so. I reckon this will be a very important season in terms of his career, but I’m not sure how much game time he’ll actually get. For his and Saints’ sake, I hope he proves the doubters wrong.

3 Likes

It’s the rabid nature of a whole number of posters calling him a cretin etc, just for making sure the original poster got it right. It is genuinely funny, although I think the reaction is ridiculously extreme.

3 Likes

JWP is the single greatest footballer in SFC history! His targets for this season are, receive long overdue full England call-up, win Balloon Door, carry a vacuum cleaner up a flight of stairs, without assistance.

1 Like

You sound in love, Brian, and a tinge jealous.

Was JWP only supposed to blow the balloon door off?

2 Likes

Makes me wonder what Bear and JWP were doing upstairs with the vacuum cleaner. :slight_frown:

I still enjoy reading the other place, but I find people tend to be in two camps: those who say dopey things, and those who mock those who say dopey things. Neither of which are qualities I particularly admire. That said, there are still some brilliant footsie obsessed posters on there, and I learn something new every time I visit, and for that I still think it’s a pretty great place.

Indeed, there has always been a whipping boy. Guly springs to mind, and Jos. And Fox. I have a mate who is a Crystal Palace season ticket holder and when I said that Puncheon was doing well for them he went into one saying how crap he was! Part and parcel of supporting a team. You can slag your own players off but if someone else does…that isnt on.

Having said that, God forbid that Yoshoda ever becomes our no 1 CH.

Should add that it my early days of supporting Saints and long before we could all sit around and share our football wisdom online, Mike Channon used to get dog’s abuse from the terraces. He didnt turn out too badly.

1 Like

Mike Channon, Bobby Stokes, Alan Ball…they all got stick and all Saints legends.

I’m a JWP fan. Still think he’s going to be a top player. So nerr.

3 Likes

See everyone can and should have an opiniion, the real deal is in being able to state why you have that opinion and being able to defend it without resorting to silly name calling or, and this is the killer, being able to modify your opinion based on the merits of someone else’s argument.

Just sayin JW-P is crap is *NOT* an opionion.

FWIW, and for mine, the boy has potential he just seems to waste a lot of good chances that maybe he should do better with. As Halo says he seems to have been around for ages yet he is only 20!

3 Likes

I’m with KRG on this! And even if I wasn’t - I still wouldn’t be slating a 20 year old who’s at the start of his career.

3 Likes

The Virgil Van Dijk thread over there is a great example of why I don’t miss it - Turkish, MLG, CB Fry…

Not much about VVD though

And Alpine - what’s the score there - did he kill somebody’s dog or something? I know he’s a bit of a miserable git but he’s far from the worst. Yet every time he posts anything everyone lays into him.

Well I know I post more provocative stuff than your average, but that is one of the huge problems with the Internet in general. People getting upset at someone else’s ideas or opinions. Can’t say that I am not immune, but as you say, better to take them down on the merits of their argument.

It’s the fact that everyone has to go completely overboard in everything they say that just makes it a bit ridiculous.