Sometimes I Miss The Other Place

I think Alpine’s problem is that he has not oulet for lifes frustrations other than through an Internet forum. I have never know someone get so wound up so often about things outside his sphere of control. He is not even a glass half empty type. He is a glass completely empty with sand and cacti in the bottom type. I dont know how long you have been reading his posts but believe me, after a few years of the same rantings, it does become pretty tiresome. Most people take some time to gather the facts and then form an opinion based on a number of factors. Alpine just assumes that the club are run like a second rate seaside B & B and makes immediate assumptions that are 99% misguided. Also, for a grown man, he has this childish affectation where he makes up names for people he doesnt rate, like Gash ton Ramierez. Apart from that, he is fine.

It was the relentless MLG bashing that finally made me give up, he takes it all very well to be fair to him, and I’m sure he’s actually winding people up half the time. But it got quite ugly from other posters I felt, not for me I’m afraid.

saintsDweEb never! Sotonians forever!

5 Likes

I’ll cut to the chase as I skipped 2 pages of shite, Prowse needs to score more goals, he probably I suspect knows this as do the management, without that he is a squad player, again I suspect he knows this as well.

I can see why MLG gets a heap of shit. He is overly anal at times. I usd to work with a guy who had a compulsion to pick people up on the smallest of mistakes all of the time and after a while it becomes very tiresome. There are times he should just let it go but he doesnt seem able to. I agree, he does take it well though.

Originally posted by @Morris-Chutney—Lawyer

It was the relentless MLG bashing that finally made me give up, he takes it all very well to be fair to him, and I’m sure he’s actually winding people up half the time. But it got quite ugly from other posters I felt, not for me I’m afraid.

saintsDweEb never! Sotonians forever!

Yes it can get pretty extreme. And it’s not reined in because, so it seems, the site owner has pretty much the same contempt for him.

1 Like

Certain targets, or aggressors are fine it seems.

I like MLG, and when he sticks to football he’s entertaining. Steps outside that, and he can be a bit of a prat. The whole thing about getting upset about one of the equality bodies (kick it out, maybe?) offering prayers for Clark Carlisle was ugly. Sadly, that’s not even an act for TSW, he could be seen doing it on twitter also.

But yeah, there’s certainly a lot of inconsistency in modding over there. How some people get away with so much, I just don’t know.

I’ve never seen the point in personally attacking posters and there is far too much of that over there.

I can make enemies without canvassing for them because let’s face it, if someone has insulted you, they go on your little list, even if it’s just in your head!..

For instance, a poster went on the famous Saga thread and called us all obsessed nutjobs because pompey were fine and they called for the thread to close - shortly before pompey ran up more debt and got relegated again!

I immediately claimed that term for comic purposes and it is now the standard name for anyone interested in pompey’s plight, it’s gone from insult to badge of honour.

But Nutjobs started from one infamous Saintsweb poster who should have known better.

They are on my list…

As for the bedwetting kneejerk reactions to some defeats, it is quite clear that some people on there are not Saints fans, or they are mentally ill.

Some threads are so bonkers they are not worth getting involved in and that’s the point, if you alienate enough people, they won’t bother and they’ll just go somewhere else.

The hysteria over managerial sackings was insane.

Before I post anything I always wonder what it might look like a few months down the line, some people have zero street cred on this score, but they carry on pretending they never said they would boycott the club until Pardew was reinstated or would never attend SMS again.

There are too many drama queens waving their effing hankies and refusing to pay a pound to park.

As for controlling it all, I’ve never required moderating as I’m fairly low key but it needs to be done fairly and consistently.

9 Likes

I still post on the other site and the abuse tends to have scaled down a bit of late. It is still there but not as bad as it has been. If the Mods had kept a grip on the posters who are regulalry abusive to others it would be a nicer forum - but they seem to let the abusive name calling go. For those who think that Alpine gets unfailty treated, he can be one of the more abusive and confrontational posters on there when he gets the bit between his teeth.

1 Like

As someone who has suffered, and in some way manages mental health issues, I find it insulting to be compared to these people. :wink:

2 Likes

God knows I have had my mental health issues, and I am sure there are some people there who could do with some decent counselling sessions! :money_mouth:

I’ve got to say, having been diagnosed a few times with mental illness by fellow forum posters, I have a bit of distaste for the tactic.

Even if it happens to be the case, what does the free Internet doctor expect to happen next?

“Er, hello Doctor. I’m referring myself to you for mental illness and/or cognitive disorder tests. I posted some stuff on TSW about conspiracy theories and I’ve been told I might have a condition”.

“This is the seventeenth time this year you’ve made such an appointment. Can you just fuck off, pap?”

Originally posted by @pap

I’ve got to say, having been diagnosed a few times with mental illness by fellow forum posters, I have a bit of distaste for the tactic.

Even if it happens to be the case, what does the free Internet doctor expect to happen next?

“Er, hello Doctor. I’m referring myself to you for mental illness and/or cognitive disorder tests. I posted some stuff on TSW about conspiracy theories and I’ve been told I might have a condition”.

“This is the seventeenth time this year you’ve made such an appointment. Can you just fuck off, pap?”

Clearly, I’m not perfect (just mocked my own above). But I’d quite like to (politelty) ask folk to be careful when doing this. Attributing mental illness or making jokes about it can help perpetuate certain stigmas that come with mental illness.

To clarify, I’m certainly not having a go at Rallyboy for his above post. Just asking people to be mindful of this in the future. It’s something the media does a lot, and has conequences for those that do actually suffer from them. Whether that be people treating you differently because of it, being afraid of you (i.e. calling violent people Madmen, Crazy, etc leads into this) or thinking you aren’t capable of certain things.

Again, no dig or ill intent in this post. Just a gentle nod, words have consequences.

5 Likes

Tsk.

6 Likes

I never find MLG annoying. I think it’s because he’s the only constant in the completely irratic randomness of the place. I find his predictable logic rather calming.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

I can see why MLG gets a heap of shit. He is overly anal at times. I usd to work with a guy who had a compulsion to pick people up on the smallest of mistakes all of the time and after a while it becomes very tiresome. There are times he should just let it go but he doesnt seem able to. I agree, he does take it well though.

Tsk.

:laughing:

I spent serveral months being treated for depression and anxiety in The Priory in 2004 so I am not kidding when I say I have had my mental health issues!

I know you are not having a pop KRG but just to clarify my comment, I honestly believe that some people on the forums do have mental issues, hence my use of the correct language, it wasn’t something I just threw in as a form of cheap insult.

Because anyone who goes off the deep end everytime we lose a game clearly has a problem, whether it be anger management or some form of OCD regarding the league table - disappointment is normal, but hysterical outcrying is not balanced behaviour.

Hope that clears everything up.

Now moderate that Pap, you deluded geeky conspiracy-obsessed hairdresser-dodging fruitcake. :smile:

7 Likes

I really like it when someone does a proper solid post and then everyone likes it, like rallyboy’s one above with about 8 likes.

That’s what The Other Place doesn’t have. A great post doesn’t get the respect it deserves.

4 Likes

I think it would if they had a “thanks” or “vote up” function. I reckon most people on swf read by dont or rarely post, but the thanks function would allow them to join in without having to engage with the spanners on the site.

1 Like

Alpine has just called me a “bellend.” I take that as a compliment.